Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

System Service Light but No Check Engine

Views : 1019

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2022, 12:03   #1
taylope1

Default System Service Light but No Check Engine

Hi - I have a C70 D5 2007 2.4D - have had replaced MAF and Pressure Booster Sensor and now the Check Engine lights have stayed off but now on start the System Service message comes up and i can just click the end of the stick and away it goes..no check engine. I see from googling that it might be related to Engine Oil levels. I looked just now and it seems to be about mid-way on the dipstick. I am on the right track? How much should I remove safely (I have a pump to remove extra if needed). Any help please. Oh lastly, is the message an MOT fail or not as it is not the check engine light.
taylope1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 12:11   #2
arcascomp

Shouldn't think it would be an MoT fail, but don't take my word for it!

Not trying to be insulting, but are you sure you are looking at the right part of the dip stick? as long as it's below the upper limit, it shouldn't trigger an error, but the actual measure part is quite small.. Got access to VIDA or a code reader at all? might help things.
arcascomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 12:46   #3
taylope1

Have a icarsoft i906 and i get "No codes". Dipstick appears to have mayb 6/7 xxx marks on it. I'm no mechanic so dont worry about asking me "dumb" questions as I just want it sorted.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 13:07   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylope1 View Post
Hi - I have a C70 D5 2007 2.4D - have had replaced MAF and Pressure Booster Sensor and now the Check Engine lights have stayed off but now on start the System Service message comes up and i can just click the end of the stick and away it goes..no check engine. I see from googling that it might be related to Engine Oil levels. I looked just now and it seems to be about mid-way on the dipstick. I am on the right track? How much should I remove safely (I have a pump to remove extra if needed). Any help please. Oh lastly, is the message an MOT fail or not as it is not the check engine light.
What are the exact words of the message ?
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 14:50   #5
taylope1

Engine System Service Required along with the Orange "i" (info) light. I press the messages button on the end of the stick and the "i" goes (and the message) although it will reappear if i cycle through the messages again.

Last edited by taylope1; Feb 9th, 2022 at 14:54.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 15:00   #6
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

It's not a MIL so it will not fail an MOT.

Check the swirl flap linkage hasn't come adrift. That does not always leave a code, but can display the "engine service required" warning.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 15:23   #7
taylope1

This thing https://www.volvoparts.tmsmotorgroup...76-20799-p.asp ?#

Once a month maybe , car goes into limp (ish) mode and wont do more than 2k revs. Could this swirl thingy cause that too?

Last edited by taylope1; Feb 9th, 2022 at 15:30.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 16:01   #8
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Never say never, but it's not terriibly likely it would cause the symptoms you describe.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 16:30   #9
arcascomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylope1 View Post
Have a icarsoft i906 and i get "No codes". Dipstick appears to have mayb 6/7 xxx marks on it. I'm no mechanic so dont worry about asking me "dumb" questions as I just want it sorted.
Sorry been stuck on calls all day - I expect the iCarsoft reader will only get 'active' codes that are on the main system rather than details of historic stored codes. Might be worth trying to get it connected to a Vida/Dice system. I'd offer, but I'm guessing it's a bit of a drive to Edinburgh just to get a code! Might be someone on here local that could scan it for a couple of beers or something.

Sounds like you are looking at the correct part of the dipstick, just linking to this pic for speed:

That's about where you want it to be.
Old Feb 9th, 2022, 16:32   #10
arcascomp

Darn it, foiled by the image link stuff! I did an image search on Google for volvo dip stick and there is an image on there from the SwedeSpeed forums. https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/o...o-read.638787/

Tags
d5 oil system service