Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel or Petrol?

Views : 1112

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2015, 23:09   #1
volvic40

Default Diesel or Petrol?

Hi I am new and don't own a Volvo yet I confess.

I am looking at buying a V40 or V40 XC. I am hoping to get a lightly used one about 2013/2014. My questions is - petrol or diesel?

My current car a Mazda 6 Diesel has been great for 6 years or so, until recently when its DPF has needed regenerating a few times, and the dpf has now been replaced. This is a 2007 model - I don't know if the technology has moved on since then.

My mileage is about 10000 per year, with a motorway run every few months, the rest is commuting and local trips, which I would guess are not getting the exhaust hot enough to regen.

Thing is this - nearly all used V40 and V40XC are diesel, a petrol version seems to be a really rare beast. I would like a T3 for motorway slogging but most available petrol versions seem to be rocket ships at £45000!

How fussy is the modern diesel engine, with regard to dpf blocking, should I wait for a petrol to come along or is a diesel a good bet?

Advice/experience from esteemed Volvo owners would be very welcome, thanks
volvic40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 00:15   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

I would lean more towards petrol, a T3, would be perfect, no dpf issues.What is your budget?
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:19   #3
Marc01

I did a quick search and couldn't find any good deals on a used Petrol like you said they are pretty rare, I did find a brand new T4 R-Design lux Nav at £22.5k or a T3 SE at £18.4k.
Most of the lightly used dealer cars come in at the price of new after discount, I know which I'd prefer.... To be first registered owner with full term of my warranty to use.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 10:04   #4
tickedon
Master Member

As Marc01 says, the nearly new V40's hold their value well, and often a brand new V40 is the same / just a little bit more with the discounts you can get through carwow, drivethedeal etc.

Well worth investigating, particularly as the V40 now has a new lineup of engines for MY2016, which should be a bit more efficient and some lower co2.
Old May 10th, 2015, 11:48   #5
volvic40

Thanks guys, I was thinking of mid teens of thousands there are some low mileage 14 plates around £16500 BUT they are all Diesel. Presumably because they are fleet or company cars, and thus the low consumption for high mileage combo is king? I am not sure I can run to £19 - £20k for a new one (unless my bargaining powers improve considerably!)

I am sensing that petrol is the way to go, if not I guess I am going to have to keep a routine going of 15 minute blasts up and down the motorway inflow gear once a week to keep the dpf clear?
Old May 10th, 2015, 11:51   #6
volvic40

Red face

i should add that to me "low mileage" is under 15k !

Also inflow should read in low
Old May 10th, 2015, 14:50   #7
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvic40 View Post
Thanks guys, I was thinking of mid teens of thousands there are some low mileage 14 plates around £16500 BUT they are all Diesel. Presumably because they are fleet or company cars, and thus the low consumption for high mileage combo is king? I am not sure I can run to £19 - £20k for a new one (unless my bargaining powers improve considerably!)
Just as an example, a V40 T3 [152] SE is £19744 via drivethedeal, saving £3725.

First 5 services (over 5 years) work out at about £1500. Buying new, you can get 5 services for £500 - another £1000 saved. If you are financing, the rates are much better new, than on used (whether nearly new or not). Some more saving.

Possible example:
Used: £16500
5 services: £1500 (ish, will vary depending on age and whether it's had first service or not)
Finance: £1000 extra interest (compared on financing new via dealer)
Total: £19,000

Vs
New: £19744
Service: £500
Total: £20,244

Obviously will depend on whether you are paying cash, can get a cheap bank loan rather than dealer finance, any options wanted etc. However, if you compare the cost over 5 years, you might find there's not much in it - all with the bonus of that 'new car' smell and full warranty.
Old May 10th, 2015, 17:12   #8
volvic40

Thanks Tickedon, I really appreciate your taking that trouble to help. Certainly food for thought, you could get the £500 deal even if you bought it from a drive the deal type place then?

Must say a £1000 is quite an incentive. I have always shied away from a new car due to the hideous loss of money through early stages of depreciation but looks like yo may have a point there.

I was attracted by the various Packs on the 14 plate diesels which I guess were specced for business or contract use, and can obviously add a lot of sparkle to the vehicle.

But I don't know if I can stomach the "ooh I haven't been up the M1 for a week or so, better waste half an hour of my life and a bunch of diesel to boot". I just need to get a better paid job I think! I maybe need to understand exactly how the dpf clearing out works to see if I do enough inter-urban miles to make it happen if I were to make a conscious effort to drop it down a gear for 10 minutes.

Thanks very much again