Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New paintwork needs looking after with Kid Gloves

Views : 2136

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2010, 17:53   #11
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyron View Post
provided you remove aforementioned yuck asap it should not get a stain on paint work,(mind you youve got to be bloody quick ,i think these little perishers must drink battery acid)
Yeah i normally try to remove the bloody bird shtuff asap. Thing is, everytime i cleaned it off this black car, its much more noticeable than other cars i've had. The stain actually appears to be underneath the top coat/laquar?[apologies for the spelling, i'm a thick trucker]
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 18:01   #12
mu71rd

yes prepare for opening pandora's box! there's a lot of stuff you can buy, but really, a good cleaning method, and quarterly wax or sealant should keep it looking fantastic.

what i found with my old car was that if you're happy with a slightly dirty car, then you won't worry about it at all - if you want it looking really nice, it takes regular work.

So for 4 years mine was filthy, but low maintenance. then i suddenly cleaned it and thought "wow - that actually looks really good! maybe i'll try and keep it that way". It's then that you notice the imperfections, and start trying to remove them all.

sold that car at the weekend - and now have a blank canvas to work on - to try and keep looking its best.

(this is how it ended up - pretty pleased to be honest)

(sorry shouldn't post other makes of car on here )

As a guide for recommended polishes, pads, bit of theory etc, you have everything you need in that link above, or it's summarised in this PDF i think
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 18:09   #13
mu71rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
Yeah i normally try to remove the bloody bird shtuff asap. Thing is, everytime i cleaned it off this black car, its much more noticeable than other cars i've had. The stain actually appears to be underneath the top coat/laquar?[apologies for the spelling, i'm a thick trucker]
that 'etching' that you refer to is quite common. doesn't seem to make any difference how quickly you get the mess off (unless you're literally there whilst it's still wet!), it's a chemical damage to the paint.

It almost certainly is damage to the clearcoat, but very very fine so that you can't feel it with your nail. I've had some, and they've polished out.

it is possible for it to permeate under the clearcoat, but as far as i'm aware, there's not really any product that will protect against that. a thick layer of wax/sealant is ultra thin, even compared to clearcoat/lacquer - so it won't really do much to prevent damage of this kind...
The Following User Says Thank You to mu71rd For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 19:29   #14
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu71rd View Post
yes prepare for opening pandora's box! there's a lot of stuff you can buy, but really, a good cleaning method, and quarterly wax or sealant should keep it looking fantastic.

what i found with my old car was that if you're happy with a slightly dirty car, then you won't worry about it at all - if you want it looking really nice, it takes regular work.

So for 4 years mine was filthy, but low maintenance. then i suddenly cleaned it and thought "wow - that actually looks really good! maybe i'll try and keep it that way". It's then that you notice the imperfections, and start trying to remove them all.

sold that car at the weekend - and now have a blank canvas to work on - to try and keep looking its best.

As a guide for recommended polishes, pads, bit of theory etc, you have everything you need in that link above, or it's summarised in this PDF i think

I don't care if it's nice and shiny, get that German thing off this forum!

There is far too much of this going on.

Outraged of Lancashire
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 19:31   #15
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:

To be fair when it comes to washing a car I'm a pretty lazy basxxxx but I would kindly pay for that result. The finish looks fantastic.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teejay1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 20:14   #16
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
I don't care if it's nice and shiny, get that German thing off this forum!

There is far too much of this going on.

Outraged of Lancashire
quite aggree,even if it is nice and shiny,it aint volvo
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 20:20   #17
r-designbob
Premier Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info.

Fancy part time job.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 20:47   #18
mu71rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyron View Post
quite aggree,even if it is nice and shiny,it aint volvo
you what? don't know what you're talking about

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 00:21   #19
r-designbob
Premier Member

Lol. Nicely Photo shopped.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 12:21   #20
nosmoking

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
I had exactly this happen to my black sapphire paintwork last week. The bird sh.. was only on for a few hours before I washed it off. But then I noticed this 'etched' stain that appeared to be underneath the top coat, and more gentle washing made no difference. I was away from home at the time and couldn't do anything other than inside. Anyway, the car was parked out in the hot sun and two days later when I looked for the stain it was GONE! I've read elsewhere about heat gun treatments so I'm not sure if the hot sun had anything to do with it. Whatever it was, I'm again!!!
nosmoking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nosmoking For This Useful Post: