Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 1.4 rough ans slow idling

Views : 54822

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2021, 17:55   #141
Two340'sman

I think you may be right, stupid me, I'll check!
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two340'sman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 18:02   #142
Two340'sman

Yes, stupid me, I had the switch in the check position.

Switch in the other position the meter is fully to the left, no adjustment possible with the control knob.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 20:42   #143
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
Yes, stupid me, I had the switch in the check position.

Switch in the other position the meter is fully to the left, no adjustment possible with the control knob.
Check the physical mounting of the cal pot, i found on mine it was mounted skew-whiff so the shaft had been bent for so long, the pot wiper was no longer making contact with the track inside the pot!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 21:12   #144
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Check the physical mounting of the cal pot, i found on mine it was mounted skew-whiff so the shaft had been bent for so long, the pot wiper was no longer making contact with the track inside the pot!
Will do, good tip. Thank you.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 21:18   #145
Two340'sman

Slider of pot was contacting track OK. Still meter needle hard up to left side of scale.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 21:49   #146
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Slider of pot was contacting track OK. Still meter needle hard up to left side of scale.
In that case, i think you'll have to trace the circuits through. The thermistors should be either 2.5 or 5k @ room temp, depending which they used then it's just the 4th leg of the Wheatstone Bridge you'll have to find and measure.

Probably something silly somewhere...........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 21:56   #147
Two340'sman

Quote:
In that case, i think you'll have to trace the circuits through. The thermistors should be either 2.5 or 5k @ room temp, depending which they used then it's just the 4th leg of the Wheatstone Bridge you'll have to find and measure.

Probably something silly somewhere...........
Thanks,

I'll get the other gas tester from my friend, check that one, and perhaps compare component readings.

Last edited by Two340'sman; Jul 11th, 2021 at 00:12.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 23:24   #148
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks,

I get the other gas tester from my friend, check that one, and perhaps compare component readings.
Good idea - been trying to find the basic circuit for them online with no success, i have it on an old hard drive but can't manage to access it at the moment.

I'm sure it was Practical Electronics from 1967 or 1972 that did a constructional project using the same idea and gave details of calibration etc. Tried searching for back copies online and only found one from January 1977 but the meter for it only shows "Good-OK-Bad" and seems to read "backwards" - the higher the deflection of the meter, the better the emissions.

Old Jul 11th, 2021, 00:10   #149
Two340'sman

Quote:
Good idea - been trying to find the basic circuit for them online with no success, i have it on an old hard drive but can't manage to access it at the moment.

I'm sure it was Practical Electronics from 1967 or 1972 that did a constructional project using the same idea and gave details of calibration etc. Tried searching for back copies online and only found one from January 1977 but the meter for it only shows "Good-OK-Bad" and seems to read "backwards" - the higher the deflection of the meter, the better the emissions.
Good of you to think of all this. I used to get Practical Wireless from about 1964 to 1969, I think there was a circuit in there for a car gas analyser. I still have most of the magazines.
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 00:50   #150
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Good of you to think of all this. I used to get Practical Wireless from about 1964 to 1969, I think there was a circuit in there for a car gas analyser. I still have most of the magazines.
I may have the publication wrong, it might well have been Practical Wireless, i have however found a similar circuit :

https://archive.org/details/Heathkit...lyzerschematic

That is along the lines of the "Good-OK-Bad" meter as mentioned further up but with a bit of thought, could easily be changed so it would be calibrated at 2% in free air (i believe the reason for this is there is naturally 2% of CO in free air) which would just be a different meter and different resistors in the bridge. The test switch would short out one of a pair of resistors in one leg of the bridge where the resistors are to simulate FSD, the calibration pot would be in the other leg, likely with another resistor in series to prevent overloading the meter.

Might have a look at that tomorrow, see if i can come up with something. Note that circuit uses a 5V (or 4.7V) Zener to generate the stabilised 5V supply that the LM7805 in the Gunsons uses. I suppose when it was first designed, LEDs were too new and expensive to "waste" by reverse-biasing one to give 5V............