Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why? Power system service - urgent!

Views : 5060

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2014, 19:50   #1
ItIsOnlyMe

Default Why? Power system service - urgent!

Hi All

Newb to the board so HI!! :-)

My 56 plate V50 2.0D SE SPORT (they were having a laugh on that last word) has decided to show me the red triangle of doom on the dash. Along with the battery symbol.

This happened on Sunday last and since then I've done approx' 100 miles with no issues.

Took it to a local garage today assuming the alternator was on the fritz. Output from the alternator is circa 14 volts, battery voltage under full load is 12.5 volts with EVERYTHING on. Car runs like a dream and is happy to sit on idle for hours. No issues with starting or any other electrical related issues.

I had searched the t'internet and read about possible fuse issues but a change to F31 fuse has made no difference.

Keen to avoid a costly (£341 parts and labour) alternator replacement when it seems unlikely it's needed especially as I have just spent £ on new alloys as Medusas are weak and new suspension at the front :-(. Though I have noted an obvious whirring from that side of the car.

Any ideas?

What exactly is the car checking to decide to put this light on as it clearly isn't the voltage.

Very grateful for any assistance.

Phil
ItIsOnlyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 23:20   #2
ItIsOnlyMe

Default P.s.

The car is saying it's urgent, not me
Old May 29th, 2014, 23:23   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

These cars are very sensitive to electrical voltage changes and have a eerie 6th sense when the alternator is on its way out.

It may last days, weeks or even months but you're car is telling you there is a problem. When the alternator goes it usually goes with a bang and an take other systems with it. It has been known and reported on here a few times of the alternator bursting into flames.

If you have a 150A alternator then replace with like for like and if you currently have a 120A alternator then it is worth it in the long run to upgrade to the 150A. The only downside if you need to upgrade is the car required a software update (dealer) to tell it has the more powerful one.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2014, 13:57   #4
ItIsOnlyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
These cars are very sensitive to electrical voltage changes and have a eerie 6th sense when the alternator is on its way out.

It may last days, weeks or even months but you're car is telling you there is a problem. When the alternator goes it usually goes with a bang and an take other systems with it. It has been known and reported on here a few times of the alternator bursting into flames.

If you have a 150A alternator then replace with like for like and if you currently have a 120A alternator then it is worth it in the long run to upgrade to the 150A. The only downside if you need to upgrade is the car required a software update (dealer) to tell it has the more powerful one.

Thanks for the response.

Thing I am worried about is changing the alternator at not inconsiderable cost and when I start the car the error message is still there.

Is it possible it's something else? Or should I just bite the bullet as that is all it can be.
Old May 30th, 2014, 14:00   #5
kebab10
Premier Member

I had this message less than 2 weeks ago. Drove about 100 miles before I could get it done. Had an alternator replaced 150 amp for 150 amp; and with an hours labour it cost £234 with the vat.
Dont ignore the message. Get it done or it will leave you stranded.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 14:34   #6
MrRich

The alternator can be changed for much less than that! I bought the part myself from eurocarparts and there was a decent rebate for returning the old one. I had to pay fitting at a local garage, I can't remember how much but it was exactly but I think it was about £50. I didn't need a software update though.
MrRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 14:45   #7
ItIsOnlyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRich View Post
The alternator can be changed for much less than that! I bought the part myself from eurocarparts and there was a decent rebate for returning the old one. I had to pay fitting at a local garage, I can't remember how much but it was exactly but I think it was about £50. I didn't need a software update though.
£341 is what Kipling are costing it at, and all credit to them that they have tested the car and cleared fault and other bits for nowt.

I did think it was a little steep as the part can be had for £150 without exchange. They quoted £213 for the part and the rest (£128) for labour
Old May 30th, 2014, 15:58   #8
kebab10
Premier Member

I could have saved a little bit but time was against me. Work and a trip to Devon so had to get it done independently. Incidently, the labour was £78 including vat. Could have sved £10-20 on the alternator but work and time dont allow for that. Could have saved on the labour, but I trust the people who did the job. Others, well I wouldnt let them make me a cup of tea.
The Following User Says Thank You to kebab10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2014, 22:25   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRich View Post
Only need the update if upgrading from the 120A for 150A. Car will still work without it but can cause problems later if you don't.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2014, 15:29   #10
kebab10
Premier Member

So far done 600 miles on the "new" alternator and everything is well. As SonyVaio says, 120 to 150 requires software update. Like for like needs nowt.

Don't ignore warning messages, they are there for a reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to kebab10 For This Useful Post:

Tags
alternator, electrical, fuse, service message, v50