Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 hood wont close Hall Sensor 3 Faulty

Views : 1216

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 08:22   #11
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
it wont be the sensor itself it will be the wiring broken where it bends near the left side of the boot behind the back seat , there is a bunch of black wires ,, It needs simple wiring fault tracing .. a repair need to be special for it not to happen again . you can buy fine multi strand wire soft rubber coated for such a purpose . .
YEP sensor 3 not connected to the harness two broken wires and dangling loose

opened up the harness and soldered in two new wires

Run VIDA again and I get this attached (the power seat is working fine)

How do I do a reset of all the error codes? I did a re-scan of the vehicle does that reset the codes?

WAS ARPITA getting the seats out and the trim panel off, but that is obviously all done now

Plus the hood is fully open and tucked away in the boot the car has its winter cover on ATM, so it is watertight

So how do I manually close the roof? I think it is pull that wire underneath the L/R seat, which depressurises the hood hydraulics, then what???

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8271.JPG (291.7 KB, 16 views)
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 08:30   #12
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
About 5 years ago I had a hood unlocked message (even though it was obviously locked) which meant I had to drive 60 miles with the beeping alarm deafening me all the way. As it was under my Volvo Selekt warranty, took it to the dealer. That showed a sensor fault generating an out of position code but the sensor tested OK!
The service manager had a brainwave - pulled back the boot trim to get to the roof computer, pulled the connector and arrrrragh - all green corrosion from presumably moisture ingress. Throughly cleaned the connectors and bingo - all worked fine again. He taped the connector joint to make sure all stayed dry. As I said, that was 5 years ago and no trouble since.

So, you might want to take a look there. He told me that connector issues are not uncommon and can lead to all sorts of sensor errors.

Regards
John
where is this boot control computer please

thanks
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 09:04   #13
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM48 View Post
where is this boot control computer please

thanks
It is behind the right hand boot trim panel.

John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 15:31   #14
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
It is behind the right hand boot trim panel.

John
OOOOPS since my HOOD is filling the boot I think that it would be impossible to get to that bit ATM :-(

thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 21:54   #15
DLM48
Master Member

PROGRESS

LOOKIE HERE GREAT VIDEOS and without them, I would have been up the creek without a paddle with my Bank Ballance taking a BIG HIT from the LOCAL VOLVO STEALER even the Local Indi would have been rather expensive I suspect

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...c_U8H3BmtT3Zqa

NOT that it is FIXED YET!!!

More in a mo :-)
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 22:03   #16
DLM48
Master Member

SO THE HOOD IS OUT OF THE BOOT and UP and LOCKED PHEW!!

PHEW I don't know what we would have done without these videos in my previous post

PROGRESS and REPORTS

Hood is now UP and locked it was a RPITA and we had REAL DIFFICULTY operating that front lock latch while the hood was in the boot. No matter how hard we tried it would just not turn and this was after removing the ski hole trim so we could get good {better} access to the front lock latch Eventually we managed it, then the next issue was getting the tonneau cover latched it needed a helping had with a big lever, on both sides and then it was a weight lifting test (there being only two of us) to get the hood up and latched down.

THIS IS A FOUR MAN JOB no mistaking that.

Now of course I had to drive the car back home with the error message on the dash and the alarm going crazy.

Next job is to look at the pump as well as run VIDA to see what error codes we have now.....PHEWII

I am not quite sure but wonder if the car on the video had all the hydraulic fluid drained out as the actuating cylinders on my car don't move very easily as they seem to be still under a little pressure, for sure the back hinge ones were again doing the double shuffle dance, force one down and then force the other down and the first one pops up again until you jam it hard.

BUT FOR SURE without these awesome videos I can't imagine what the cost would have been at the local Volvo garage assuming that they had some REAL TIME experience with these C70 hoods and knew what they were doing.

ONWARDS as they say this so far has been an ACT III DRAMA, I suspect it is going to be an ACT VI DRAMA.
The Following User Says Thank You to DLM48 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 15:42   #17
jrducati

I've got a hall sensor 3 Signal Fault up on my C70. I managed to get to the sensor after taking the rear seats out. I did a DV voltage test check across the two cables on the sensor itself and it appeared to be permanently active both in it’s position and when I took it away from any metal components. The yellow cable would appear to be the 12v feed, I can’t trace the brown cable route. Does anyone know if this is normal for the sensor or is it faulty?
jrducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 16:36   #18
Simmy
Premier Member

its unusual for hall sensors to fail it will be a break in the wires you will need to remove the rear seats and side panel remove the speaker and pull back the harness to sensor 3 un wrap the outer covering to trace where the break is iv fixed a few of these its a common problem . access is a little difficult but doable. its a job for a fine day if you dont have a garage to work in.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: