Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Haldex oil change

Views : 39006

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 17:51   #31
Easington
Master Member

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

About to change the Haldex fluid on my Gen5 equipped V60 Cross Country. Does the rear diff have its own oil / fluid or is the Haldex and diff a combined unit?

Sorry I've only had the car just under a fortnight and haven't ventured underneath it yet.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 14:35   #32
bracken78

If it is the same unit as fitted to my 2014 XC70 then the oils are separated.
bracken78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bracken78 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 09:20   #33
Adrian B

Just done the haldex gen 5 unit service on my xc60d5. Not rocket science at all. £38 kit on eBay. My vehicle has had dealer services up to 96k. I then bought it and at 106k I decided to service the unit.
Tools needed are the kit, a flat blade screwdriver and a 10 mm socket. Just as the you tube video. Wiggle under back of car when it's lifted a little under all 4 wheels. Undo the black plastic filler plug. Disconnect the electrical connector to the pump. Remove the two 10mm headed bolts, Wobble/ pull out the pump catching the old oil. Clean out the unit. Clean the filter guaze on the pump with brake cleaner. Change the two o rings on the pump and refit pump in the unit. Tighten the two bolts back up and fill the unit with the syringe in the kit. Reconnect the pump.Replace filler plug. Drive car for ten minutes then top up the unit with the haldex oil. Not hard at all. Iam so glad I decided to do it. It had never been serviced! Black gunge in the unit and on the pump gauze. Now the running noise at the back end is a lot quieter. Every 30k I will change the oil and the two orings. £20 ish for both on eBay. Now I have the syringe and but of pipe on the syringe. If I can do it on the drive well it carn't be hard.
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 09:46   #34
Agro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
Every 30k I will change the oil and the two orings. £20 ish for both on eBay. Now I have the syringe and but of pipe on the syringe. If I can do it on the drive well it carn't be hard.

Go to an engineering supplier for the nitrile o-rings - 1 @ 44mm dia x 2mm; 1 @ 46mm dia x 2mm. Should cost a few pennies in your currency.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 20:46   #35
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

I get the dealer to do it every 3rd service. It isn't terribly expensive, and im too old to fanny about under a car up on drive-on ramps. They've some way of doing it with minimal disturbance of the exhaust, but I've never enquired as to the minutiae of their particular process.
Old Sep 1st, 2021, 05:46   #36
Agro

Default Flush haldex oil reservoir

I changed the Haldex oil on my 2014 XC70 D5 for the first time September last year. It was pretty dirty then so I decided to do it again to flush any more gunk out of the system. Had only done 5000 klms since that time but was greeted with this mess .... see photos.

Would therefore recommend a second service soon after to all.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1823[1].jpg (246.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1825[1].jpg (236.5 KB, 70 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Agro For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 16:26   #37
MartyButler

As already stated here, Volvo has no service interval for the Haldex unit but the Haldex unit is used by VW in their quattro drives and VW recommend to replace the oil and filter every 40,000 miles.
Different generations have different set ups with the earlier Haldex units having a separate filter that needed to be bought and changed, the newer Haldex units have a moulded filter at the front of the pump that can be cleaned, if this filter gets clogged with dirt and the oil can't get through the filter then the pump will burn itself out.
MartyButler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyButler For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 16:44   #38
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
I changed the Haldex oil on my 2014 XC70 D5 for the first time September last year. It was pretty dirty then so I decided to do it again to flush any more gunk out of the system. Had only done 5000 klms since that time but was greeted with this mess .... see photos.

Would therefore recommend a second service soon after to all.

That’s unbelievable to see! So helpful to post it up thanks.

I have the very unenviable job of changing a haldex 4 soon on a xc90. The XC90 haldex input flange is larger than other models and accordingly it’s a case of moving the exhaust (don’t have to unbolt) , removing the prop shaft and then removing the haldex input flange.

Do you happen to know what size O-rings are present on the pump on a haldex Gen 4? I am getting prices of £25 for 2 screws and 2 o-rings! At that price I will leave the old ones on and just take care. However I would prefer to have new ones also.

Thanks.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 11:05   #39
lynns hubby
Master Member

I have a 2006 XC 70 115,000 ish miles which to my knowledge has never had the Halidex oil changed.
I see that people go for a 10 min drive and check/top up. Is it not just a case of
checking the level is correct before draining, if its correct, measuring what comes out and refilling with the same amount as people do with Auto box flushes.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 10:09   #40
lynns hubby
Master Member

Just another question (well 2 actually). Q1. My XC70 is 2006 is that Gen 3 or 4 Halidex.
Q2. Do I need to remove the prop shaft and exhaust to service it?
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote