Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ford Kuga security

Views : 976

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 21:40   #1
The Thong
VOC Member

Default Ford Kuga security

Yeah Yeah…. I’ve mentioned the F Word ;D

One of my neighbours have a 2019 Ford Kuga and it’s been robbed twice now outside their house. It has the keyless entry function and they keep their key in a faraday pouch. Is there a weak point on the security on these that makes them easy to get into?? I’m doing a bit of investigation because I have a Transit Connect of the same year that also has keyless entry so I’m assuming it’ll be the same system. Wanna preempt any possible weakness so my van doesn’t get robbed.

TT
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 21:52   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Ford keys from 2019 go to sleep if they are not moved for 30 seconds, so they cannot be compromised by using a scanner and signal booster - the key remains totally inert until physically picked up and moved again.

Either your neighbour has one of the older cars, or they're jacking the car via the OBD port.

The faraday pouches don't work, more than one test by magazines and tv programmes shows that they provide little impediment to having the signal boosted. Ine of my neighbours is a copper and he also tells me that cars still go walkies with the keys in a pouch.

I think after having had the car half inched the first time id have gone for a Disklok or somesuch - that'll hold them up for a lot longer, and theyll make a helluva racket trying.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 22:25   #3
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Ford keys from 2019 go to sleep if they are not moved for 30 seconds, so they cannot be compromised by using a scanner and signal booster - the key remains totally inert until physically picked up and moved again.

Either your neighbour has one of the older cars, or they're jacking the car via the OBD port.

The faraday pouches don't work, more than one test by magazines and tv programmes shows that they provide little impediment to having the signal boosted. Ine of my neighbours is a copper and he also tells me that cars still go walkies with the keys in a pouch.

I think after having had the car half inched the first time id have gone for a Disklok or somesuch - that'll hold them up for a lot longer, and theyll make a helluva racket trying.
That’s interesting about the Faraday pouches, I thought they were the answer.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 00:32   #4
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
That’s interesting about the Faraday pouches, I thought they were the answer.
Nah mine always used to stop working after 4-6 months. Have to keep trying them regularly because one day you’ll be able to open the car even with the key in the pouch.

Faraday box I found lasted indefinitely.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 13:15   #5
Fika

I'm no carsec pro but if the key has been spoofed then it may already be too late and Kuga folk may be victims of the same gang that stored the key or maybe their keys are transmitting more often than it should.

Makes me glad I only buy old bangers, I was never fond of keyless entry on the newer cars and my wife's Toyota being keyless meant the physical key never got used and when the car battery died we couldn't enter the car as internals of the door lock had jammed (no lube coul fix it).

When we start buying newer cars and they have keyless, they're going to be covered with RF blocking material and placed farther from the front door of the house.
Fika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 14:28   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

isnt the word "FORD" on the boot of the kuga it security enough ?
(that IS if the car thieves can Read,,,)

as for your tranny

Big yellow Boot for it, and Do Not forget you fitted it
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 17:15   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

I am an oldie with an old car. I can remember when we had to fit Krooklocks between the clutch pedal and the steering wheel (I still have two of them lying in the garage.) or a steering wheel disc. ( huge cumbersome thing which had to be stored somewhere when using the car.)
I cannot understand the point of “keyless entry” other than someone thought it was a clever idea so why not do it. It is utterly pointless. We have keys for other things so what is the point of having keyless entry into our cars?

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 18:56   #8
Dippydog
Premier Member

Knew of a customer at our local Ford dealer who bought a Mondeo with the remote fob type key[where you have to press the button on the fob to lock/unlock the car]he traded it in after three months against another Mondeo with "keyless" entry so he didn't have to bother taking the key out his pocket to lock/unlock the car!!!
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 19:27   #9
volvo always
Premier Member

Only ever had one car with keyless entry.

A 2006 Lexus IS 220D. Used to park my Volvo next to it and generally unlocked the Lexus when I didn't want to while getting into the Volvo. Had keys on Volvo/House keyring, so expected until I had to keep them seperate!

My Toyota Auris needs the fob to unlock but keyless start button.

One thing I find annoying is if you just open the drivers door from inside it doesn't automatically unlock the other doors like my 1996 Volvo 940. So I then go to get stuff out and other doors all locked. Need to use fob or press door button in drivers switch pack.

Safety I prefer the Volvo method as could set rear doors on child locks if you have children .

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Aug 2nd, 2021 at 19:30.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 19:52   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

I had a Mondy Titanium X Sport with keyless entry. It was a fun novelty fir a while but I kept leaving my fob in the car at Petrol stations. I’m glad to say my 60 has a fob that acts as a key, I’ll stick with that for now.

TT