Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OBD2 can't connect to ECU

Views : 1565

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 23:02   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default OBD2 can't connect to ECU

I have a 1997 940 Classic. I have the check engine light on and I got a a used cheap OBD2 reader (ANCEL AS200). I connected it to the car and I get an error saying it couldn't connect to the ECU.

Should I look for a unit with a specific protocol, or what? I was still at the sellers house, so I didn't buy the reader. But now I don't know if it's worth getting one from amazon either!
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 23:11   #2
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

EOBD, the EU friendly OBDII standard, only became mandatory in the EU in 2001 for petrol cars, so yours will be some kind of older protocol, possibly 1 or 1.5. One of the RWD boys will be able to advise in more detail.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Aug 1st, 2021 at 23:14.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 23:37   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
I have a 1997 940 Classic. I have the check engine light on and I got a a used cheap OBD2 reader (ANCEL AS200). I connected it to the car and I get an error saying it couldn't connect to the ECU.

Should I look for a unit with a specific protocol, or what? I was still at the sellers house, so I didn't buy the reader. But now I don't know if it's worth getting one from amazon either!
None of them will work so don't waste any more money. Look up Loki on here as he makes a reader for your car.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 23:54   #4
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
None of them will work so don't waste any more money. Look up Loki on here as he makes a reader for your car.
Oh ****... Going to a mechanic he won't be able to read it either? I'm in a hurry. Anual inspecting is due in a few days
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 00:57   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Pull fuse #1 (engine off) for 30 seconds or more then refit it.

Take it for a test drive and note when/if the EML comes back on.

Mark is absolutely correct, it's a "not-quite-OBD" port on the 940s and will only work with a dedicated code reader - or a 12V LED (NOT a bulb! ) and a piece of wire but you need to know where to plug it in, which is the reset line etc - Lokis reader does the hard work bit of this in a conveniently fully built/tested package with an OBD plug on the end

No, the mechanic can't read it with his stuff either.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 01:07   #6
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

Mark is absolutely correct, it's a "not-quite-OBD" port on the 940s and will only work with a dedicated code reader - or a 12V LED (NOT a bulb! ) and a piece of wire but you need to know where to plug it in, which is the reset line etc - Lokis reader does the hard work bit of this in a conveniently fully built/tested package with an OBD plug on the end

Thx. I'll do that to see if it stays off. I "know" what prompted it in the first place. I washed the engine bay because I wanted to slean it a bit before I removed the PCV to clean it. Water must have creeped into the plugs or distributor or whatever. Car never stopped, but was idling poorly afterwards (yesterday). Today it runs better but not quite there. I wanted to read the codes before starting to find out on my own what's wrong. But it won't be that easy I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 01:13   #7
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:

This is how it looked and sounded yesterday: https://youtu.be/49FTRI3dCBs
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 01:41   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
Thx. I'll do that to see if it stays off. I "know" what prompted it in the first place. I washed the engine bay because I wanted to slean it a bit before I removed the PCV to clean it. Water must have creeped into the plugs or distributor or whatever. Car never stopped, but was idling poorly afterwards (yesterday). Today it runs better but not quite there. I wanted to read the codes before starting to find out on my own what's wrong. But it won't be that easy I guess.
See how it goes tomorrow after pulling and refitting the fuse. The problem with reading codes after getting the HT leads damp is you will read codes generated by the ECU that doesn't know what a wet plug lead is, just sees things not happening as they should.

For example, a blocked fuel filter can trigger a MAF code to be generated, as can running out of petrol because the ECU always assumes perfect conditions. It's not intelligent enough to realise the car is out of fuel and as a result there is no fuel to give the required engine speed increase the ECU has called for so it assumes the MAF isn't reading the increased airflow demands made by the EICV opening when the ECU tells it to.

Just one example of a red herring!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 01:47   #9
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
See how it goes tomorrow after pulling and refitting the fuse. The problem with reading codes after getting the HT leads damp is you will read codes generated by the ECU that doesn't know what a wet plug lead is, just sees things not happening as they should.

For example, a blocked fuel filter can trigger a MAF code to be generated, as can running out of petrol because the ECU always assumes perfect conditions. It's not intelligent enough to realise the car is out of fuel and as a result there is no fuel to give the required engine speed increase the ECU has called for so it assumes the MAF isn't reading the increased airflow demands made by the EICV opening when the ECU tells it to.

Just one example of a red herring!
I know what you mean. But on a car that's easy to check, obd2 compatible, you lose nothing by checking it.
Well, with that trick I will at least be able to pass inspection don't you think? That's my most pressing issue.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 09:40   #10
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default OBD-something Code reader

As other posters have noted, I do make a suitable code reader. I don't like to push them, preferring to let people who've bought them from me do the talking.

The 940 appears to use a Volvo-specific protocol rather than even OBD-I; I had an RAC patrol try, and fail, to read the Valdez's fault codes once, and he had a lap-top with OBD-I software installed.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: