Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Must be silly season M800GUL T-5R on Autotrader for £25000

Views : 5060

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 21:20   #51
Pupbelly

I went to view the infamous £25k Gul. I’ll report back shortly, but I didn’t purchase for a number of reasons, and not just the price!
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 01:07   #52
eagle58

£25k seems daft when this one was £15k

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1368579

Doesn't float my boat but I guess if you really want, you pay.
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 15:36   #53
Pupbelly

So by way of an update - the £25k Gul N555GUL in Kent. Very good respray, excellent finish and looks lovely. Alloys all very nice too. Original windscreen (Volvo branded anyway) which is impressive after 180k. Wasn't keen on the Maxxis new tyres all round, but hardly a deal breaker. The interior was at first glances ok, however on closer examination the leather was badly cracked and had been coloured over to hide the cracks, would possibly need feeding to recover the leather but they clearly hadn't been fed over the years.
The headlining was all ok but looked grubby and possibly smoked in, there was certainly a whiff in the car. Mechanically it sounded very quiet from a cold start, a slight click/clunk on releasing the clutch in neutral - release bearing?
Negatives? Well when looking in the boot floor there was a set of number plates with the current trend of "4D gel" raised lettering and the front side lights/DRLs had neon blue bulbs in them. I'm not a fan of those types of plate and with the blue neon bulbs kind of pointed towards a chavvy carry on. I know, I know, I'll get roasted for saying it, but just a gut feel somehow. The front subframe had very recent bolts and fixing plates/washers so that would suggest there's been action in that area recently. The black areas of the bumpers had been painted, badly and really spoilt the look of the car in a big way. I didn't go through the paperwork but it had a head gasket recently too which again concerned me a little, these engines are/should be bulletproof. Overall nice paintwork, poor bumer blacking, average interior, wrong stereo, but there was just something that didn't feel right and certainly not £25k worth of car.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 16:57   #54
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Gel plates, blue neon bulbs and a replacement head gasket all point to a hard life (yes, I'm sure there will be howls of protests from owners with gel plates and blue neon bulbs who don't drive the whole time with the right foot buried in the carpet but it's all suggestive and it's the sort of things when chasing the "right" classic car which should be taken into consideration). The Maxxis tyres also suggest that the owner was on a tight budget which then raises the question of how fastidiously the car was maintained and the owners priorities (use the money for bulbs and plates to buy proper Pirellis instead). All these things add up.
I'd expect cracking of the leather on the drivers seat and worn alcantara but the other seats (if the leather has been cared for) should be in good shape.
A respray is not a bad thing at all if its been done to the highest standards - i.e. glass and all seals out, all trim off, lights out, etc, etc. Nothing worse than spraying to edges as it invites future problems.
Does everything work, e.g. sunroof, aircon, seat recliners, mirrors, etc.? All electricals and mechanical items should function properly.
Did you dig into the diagnostics and check for fault codes? There should be none.
Given rarity and age, it'll be impossible to find the "perfect" Gul, but at £25K I'd expect it to be damned close.

John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 17:45   #55
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
Gel plates, blue neon bulbs and a replacement head gasket all point to a hard life (yes, I'm sure there will be howls of protests from owners with gel plates and blue neon bulbs who don't drive the whole time with the right foot buried in the carpet but it's all suggestive and it's the sort of things when chasing the "right" classic car which should be taken into consideration). The Maxxis tyres also suggest that the owner was on a tight budget which then raises the question of how fastidiously the car was maintained and the owners priorities (use the money for bulbs and plates to buy proper Pirellis instead). All these things add up.
I'd expect cracking of the leather on the drivers seat and worn alcantara but the other seats (if the leather has been cared for) should be in good shape.
A respray is not a bad thing at all if its been done to the highest standards - i.e. glass and all seals out, all trim off, lights out, etc, etc. Nothing worse than spraying to edges as it invites future problems.
Does everything work, e.g. sunroof, aircon, seat recliners, mirrors, etc.? All electricals and mechanical items should function properly.
Did you dig into the diagnostics and check for fault codes? There should be none.
Given rarity and age, it'll be impossible to find the "perfect" Gul, but at £25K I'd expect it to be damned close.

John
Nail on the head there John. It's wrong to judge a car based on stereotypical indications of "Max Power" sort of stuff, and yes a tar & feathering is expected for those comments BUT you reiterated my thoughts. The new tyres were put on by the dealer, but I would expect a premium brand at the price point that is being asked for. Maxxis may be an up coming make but not something I personally would put on any of my performance cars.
I didn't get into all of the electrics, aircon etc. my mind was already made up after some basic prodding about and what was on show, so I wasn't going to waste time on incidentals. In truth its not a bad car at all, but I didn't get the right vibes and feeling which for me is a must to feel connected to a car that's not just an A to B chariot. At 25 years old its not going to be perfect, but then there should be signs of a genuine loving previous owner and I didn't see that lovin' in plain sight sadly.

My 2003 daily driver Impreza WRX Wagon is not a show queen, but its in damn good shape for its age and (in my opinion) shows it has/is looked after in a fastidious way despite being in daily service for going to work, going to the shops, tip runs and whatever is asked of it etc.

Last edited by Pupbelly; Aug 2nd, 2021 at 17:51.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 22:52   #56
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Nail on the head there John. It's wrong to judge a car based on stereotypical indications of "Max Power" sort of stuff, and yes a tar & feathering is expected for those comments BUT you reiterated my thoughts. The new tyres were put on by the dealer, but I would expect a premium brand at the price point that is being asked for. Maxxis may be an up coming make but not something I personally would put on any of my performance cars.
I didn't get into all of the electrics, aircon etc. my mind was already made up after some basic prodding about and what was on show, so I wasn't going to waste time on incidentals. In truth its not a bad car at all, but I didn't get the right vibes and feeling which for me is a must to feel connected to a car that's not just an A to B chariot. At 25 years old its not going to be perfect, but then there should be signs of a genuine loving previous owner and I didn't see that lovin' in plain sight sadly.

My 2003 daily driver Impreza WRX Wagon is not a show queen, but its in damn good shape for its age and (in my opinion) shows it has/is looked after in a fastidious way despite being in daily service for going to work, going to the shops, tip runs and whatever is asked of it etc.
I cooked the the head on our 850R, dropped a coolant hose and limped it home 1/3 of a mile. Ours was on circa 228k, while the head was off we went full bore belt and braces on a full rebuild, 2.4 bottom end, forged, hybrid turbo. The build is massive, No expense spared. For the Gul sort of cash I’d be expecting the same and some!!

Why out maxis on?? Michelin’s or something similar on a car such as this!!!
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich850R For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 09:31   #57
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
I gave up on the show/trailer queens years ago and concentrate on just the very thing you describe above. A rolling restoration is far more fun in the long term - in my opinion and experience - and you can usually get a fair percentage of your money back, whilst at the same time actually driving the thing and enjoying it. Each to their own of course - but East is East and West is West as Kipling said..
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 21:55   #58
t4johnny

Default Gul Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM 855 T5R View Post
I would be exercising caution with this car. Whilst it has a clean MOT, here are the advisories from 2018.
- inner and outer sills corroded front to rear
- under flooring corroding
- brake and suspension components heavily corroded
- fuel filter corroded
- both front tyres wearing on inner edges

The last 2 are not of any concern but the first 3 most certainly are. If it's been a wire brush job, lick of rust killer and a coat of underseal, then that's a lot of stored up trouble.
I'd want to see bills, remedial actions and a damned good underbody poke round by a bodywork professional. Buyer beware I think in this case. All that glistens isn't necessarily gold.

Regards
John
Fair comment
This car has had all remedial welding done inc some other areas that had been damaged by incorrect jacking points being used......Professional job carried out, Total cost £3600 for that,i have the receipt.....i have another receipt for full engine rebuild 20k miles ago...handbooks,service books,Pirelli p-zero all round...2 large folders with details/receipts dating back to 1998.....i bought the car.

John

Last edited by t4johnny; Aug 7th, 2021 at 22:16.
t4johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t4johnny For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 22:52   #59
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4johnny View Post
Fair comment
This car has had all remedial welding done inc some other areas that had been damaged by incorrect jacking points being used......Professional job carried out, Total cost £3600 for that,i have the receipt.....i have another receipt for full engine rebuild 20k miles ago...handbooks,service books,Pirelli p-zero all round...2 large folders with details/receipts dating back to 1998.....i bought the car.

John
It obviously checked out as good as it looked in the advert. We can all pontificate on here as to whether a car is good or not, but without first hand inspection who knows if the advert is honest and genuine and the car as good as it seems.

I know when I was looking for my C70 I viewed many cars that sounded good in the adds but on inspection were rough neglected cars and nowhere near the description.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2021, 22:59   #60
t4johnny

Default Gul Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
It obviously checked out as good as it looked in the advert. We can all pontificate on here as to whether a car is good or not, but without first hand inspection who knows if the advert is honest and genuine and the car as good as it seems.

I know when I was looking for my C70 I viewed many cars that sounded good in the adds but on inspection were rough neglected cars and nowhere near the description.
Totally agree,
Fortunately in this day and age we can ask for copies of major works to be emailed over,video walk rounds if need be..etc.....previous owner was a now retired ex traffic police officer and a Volvo enthusiast.....
Looked for a decent one for a long time......

John

Last edited by t4johnny; Aug 7th, 2021 at 23:10.
t4johnny is offline   Reply With Quote