Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 EGR Valve

Views : 2673

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 19:08   #1
bluepirate73

Default XC60 EGR Valve

Hi All

Please forgive as new to the group and I am know this issue has no doubt been covered on numerous threads..

I have a '14 plate XC60 R-Design, 55k on clock.
I have had the engine management light come on on the dash and also on occasion the reduced performance indication also appears. Car drives hesitantly at times, and struggles to idle well, particularly when cold.
Car has been taken to Volvo dealer for code read and clear, which of course returned immediately. I have been told this is an issue with the EGR valve, the fault code is P2401300 and a new EGR is needed to be fitted at £800 all in.

I dont doubt the issue analysis is correct as this fits, however my question is, as I have read about other EGR issues being paid for by Volvo does anyone know if this comes under the same umbrella?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge.
bluepirate73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 06:20   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

There were goodwill payments made in respect of EGR cooler and EGR valve problems on VEA engines (I got 100% towards the cooler and 50% towards the valve). But if yours is AWD then it'd be the older 5-cylinder engine and they aren't covered.
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 09:31   #3
Chrispynuts

If 5 cylinder engine , Get it programmed out cheaper alternative
Chrispynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 09:55   #4
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

If the car has a full Volvo history theres a tiny chance Volvo may contribute, but not terribly likely. Doesn't hurt to ask.

If it doesnt have full VSH it won't ever qualify for good will. No manufacturer will show good will to customers who have no shown them any.

Unless its an utter lump of coal in there they can usually be easily cleaned, so I wouldn't commit to a new one until the old one has actually been removed and examined. If it hasn't been removed and examined then your garage are only guessing.

Avoid any temptation to remove or disable it. Its a criminal offence - not simply a moving traffic offence or a con & use offence - that carries big fines and the risk of the car being seized and a conviction against your name. It's also an MOT failure, although unless its glaringly obvious the typical tester will have no way of knowing.

To avoid a recurrence avoid using diesel cars regularly for journeys under 7 miles.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 10:00. Reason: Typoolfughmnghcn
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 11:31   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepirate73 View Post
Hi All

Please forgive as new to the group and I am know this issue has no doubt been covered on numerous threads..

I have a '14 plate XC60 R-Design, 55k on clock.
I have had the engine management light come on on the dash and also on occasion the reduced performance indication also appears. Car drives hesitantly at times, and struggles to idle well, particularly when cold.
Car has been taken to Volvo dealer for code read and clear, which of course returned immediately. I have been told this is an issue with the EGR valve, the fault code is P2401300 and a new EGR is needed to be fitted at £800 all in.

I dont doubt the issue analysis is correct as this fits, however my question is, as I have read about other EGR issues being paid for by Volvo does anyone know if this comes under the same umbrella?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge.
That code indicated the gas flow through the EGR valve is not what it expects ... It could be coked up with soot or the valve sticking , it will have to come out at least and be checked or cleaned or replaced .
Or the EGR cooler could be blocked But That is code P 04D900 so the EGR Valve needs inspecting / cleaning and depending what is found be prepared for a new one ...
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 11:44   #6
Pointer7

Same as Zebster for me, My S60 was outside of the age range that they covered but they still contributed towards the repairs due to the low mileage I think... Plus it has full Ovlov history
Pointer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 22:26   #7
aidanthomson

I had my egr cooler replaced at 88000 at no cost in June. Only had 1 Volvo service. Mine is a 15 plate v60. Speak to customer services yourself as it helped with my case.
aidanthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 17:09   #8
jneish

Default Check Engine, P04D9, Reduced Engine Performance, P00BC

Take a look at my problems, now resolved
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=465

Last edited by jneish; Oct 7th, 2021 at 18:20.
jneish is offline   Reply With Quote