Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Change Your Diesel Filter

Views : 2274

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2021, 19:45   #11
MCFastybloke

Changed mine out recently, it was also minging but not distorted, i believe it have done 70k and been invoiced and not changed twice.Its just the easiest of jobs on the V70.
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 23:03   #12
BigGreenThing

I have the Mann Filter….but looked at the filter housing removal tool (economy of effort has gotta be key to this job :-) )…£60 odd quid from Scandix.de !!!!! Does anybody know where they can be obtained more cheaply in Uk by any chance?
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 23:27   #13
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenThing View Post
I have the Mann Filter….but looked at the filter housing removal tool (economy of effort has gotta be key to this job :-) )…£60 odd quid from Scandix.de !!!!! Does anybody know where they can be obtained more cheaply in Uk by any chance?
Plenty on eBay.
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 00:35   #14
Org

I used a large adjustable spanner on the 32mm fitting and my other hand helping with the twisting motion, I couldn't get a socket in and didn't have the housing tool
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Org For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 12:07   #15
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Plenty on eBay.
Yes indeedy! First place I should’ve looked really! Found loads around £15-20 mark inc. postage…so have ordered one and fingers crossed it’ll not be made of Bakelite plastic or rubber!🤣🤣🤣 Many thanks!
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 12:52   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenThing View Post
filter housing removal tool (economy of effort has gotta be key to this job :-) )…£60 odd quid from Scandix.de !!!!! Does anybody know where they can be obtained more cheaply in Uk by any chance?
In the description for the video link I gave earlier, there's a link to the tool on Amazon.
Currently £21 with next day delivery with Prime membership.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 19:19   #17
Tony Rama

I had a 32mm socket hanging around but there was not enough room to fit a ratchet so I applied the mole grips. Worked a treat and cost nothing.
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 12:56   #18
Stu B
Master Member

I have a new filter tool but found it awkward to get into the space required so used a chain grip oil filter removal tool carefully that I have in the tool box - worked a treat. I must put the filter tool up for sale to see if anyone else wants it, fits VW TDI 5 cylinder too I think though I didn’t need it for my VW T4 either so perhaps for a later model.

Agree regarding filter changes!
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 14:48   #19
Turbodave
VOC Member

Also agree.

I tend to change mine every 10,000 miles / annually... for all they cost, it's a bit of a no brainer really. Every used diesel I've bought has immediately felt a bit more willing after that original, manky filters were removed and replaced.

The XC70 is a bit of a faff with the rear shafts, not a huge amount of room to manipulate the filter housing out the way... oddly it seems worse with the car unweighted so I tend to then lift the OSR wheel up until the sweet spot between the shaft and control arms reveals itself.

On which note, mine will be due again soon... MOT looming so it'll get done around then. Will be interesting to see what it looks like / if the change makes a noticeable difference. As for relying on full history to see you through, I wouldn't. Mine has yet the cabin filter looked original... and smelt like it too.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 17:01   #20
C30inFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
It caused me enough grief and falsly diagnosed readings!
I was getting a sensor error (P2585 from memory) and my C30 going into limp mode. I could clear the error and all would be fine again. I decided to get something done about it and I read, perhaps on here, that changing the diesel filter could sort it out. So I looked at the service history - and the filter had never been changed.

When I bought the car it'd done around 55k miles and had a FSH, some of those dealer services. I've since had the car serviced by Volvo in the UK, and once again here in France. Again, the diesel filter was not changed. I've done around 75k mile now so I'm guessing it was due!

So, to return to the story, getting the filter changed was both necessary AND a good first step to sorting out the sensor error. It set me back £230ish... the sensor error has not reappeared (touch wood).

Last edited by C30inFrance; Oct 29th, 2022 at 17:03.
C30inFrance is offline   Reply With Quote