Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Geartronic - Gearbox/Transmission issues?

Views : 618

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2021, 14:49   #1
Minormatt

Default XC70 Geartronic - Gearbox/Transmission issues?

I've been offered a '54 plate XC70 D5 SE Geartronic for a good price I've facied getting an XC70 for at least the last 10 years or so

This car has 180,000 miles its got an engine management fault, and an ABS fault and can be sluggish pulling away when steering left...

I have not seen the car yet, but have pretty much committed to the purchase (the price is low enough to take the risk). I'm not worried at all about engine management or ABS issues - they are normally easy enough to sort...

But - the geartronic is new to me. I normally only ever go for manual boxes.

In terms of the car in generally I know them well enough (I've done 110,000 miles in my other '54 V70 and bought 2 other volvos in the last 2 months), What should I be looking out for in terms of the transmission and 4wd system?
Minormatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 15:05   #2
Ripmax

Usually the Geartronic boxes are pretty solid (assuming they've had their fluid changed at reasonable intervals, and haven't been abused). If, however this one hasn't been looked after they can be problematic and expensive to repair... I've seen the Geartronic boxes still going strong at 200k+

As for the ABS fault, it's common on this platform for the reluctor rings to go brittle and break apart on the driveshaft.

Re the AWD systems... They have a common weak point, which is the splined collar that couples the gearbox output to the angle gear likes to strip. However, I think this is only an issue on the R due to them not being built to handle the power! Change your Haldex/AOC fluid and you'll be dandy I reckon.

Here's a handy thread with a bunch of servicing tips for the R (same drivetrain as an XC70.) https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...30306&p=138100
2001 Audi A6 C5 Sport Avant 1.9 TDi - 173k

Last edited by Ripmax; Oct 26th, 2021 at 15:08.
Ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ripmax For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 22:53   #3
Minormatt

Thanks

I know this one has been used for a bit of towing - hopefully it won't be too bad - will see on Sunday! I have done 1 ABS ring on the other car - and need to do another one now...
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 17:48   #4
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

get the gearbox hot (minimum 15min test drive) - offer to pay him a tenner for fuel.

they will most likely only play up with with sustained hard throttle or while under slip eg crawl up a hill.

also check the dipstick if 5 speed - it should be clearly red, if its grey or black it's probably shagged
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 12:49   #5
Minormatt

Well guys, I bought it

The trans fluid is red, but just starting to go brown if you see what I mean

I have spent a few quid on it getting it right, but I don't like the auto box there is nothing wrong with it - I just don't like it.

A few more little bits and pieces to do and then I will sell it on. I'm sticking with my manual V70
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 14:50   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

horses for courses really, I like a manual and I think probably so does anyone who's passionate about 'real driving' as it were

but for a cruiser, and particularly for sitting in slow traffic, you can't beat an auto.

I actually bought mine so that the missus can drive it, she's only got a auto license, at first I thought what have I done!? but it's really grown on me

for smaller, lighter nimble cars, like hot hatches or coupe's maybe it would feel very wrong and a total waste of potential, but on a big heavy car, it's not such a loss to me anyway

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 16:22   #7
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Manual/automatic debate's all rather moot v-a-v a keen driver because it's unlikely he or she would have bought an XC70
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 22:15   #8
Minormatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Manual/automatic debate's all rather moot v-a-v a keen driver because it's unlikely he or she would have bought an XC70
First Auto I have ever owned tbh

Its the 17th vehicle in my current fleet (no not all are roadworthy )
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 15:34   #9
marcb
Master Member

I like manual transmissions but the wife has only passed an auto test so I am stuck with that.

I bought a geartronic for the next best thing as you can manually shift the gears at least and gives your left hand something to do (joking aside).
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote