Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car would not fire. Same issue as my old D5 ??

Views : 406

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2021, 13:59   #1
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Default Car would not fire. Same issue as my old D5 ??

Car facing down hill but only a small slope some might call"off flat" . Not sure if I can attach video ? trying but does not want to load ! .But Petrol Gauge shows 1 bar above the red zone so not empty . Battery has plenty of power So not flat etc . Would not fire at all today . UNTIL... I remembered my old D5 did the same on a wet dark night after buying it and the seller not mentioning the under seat pump float thing would stick and show the car had fuel but didnt !!

so this morning , i quickly added another gallon and it fired no problem . now got 1/2 a tank . drives fine

Could the Petrol V70 suffer the same with this float pump thing or could it be something else ? Thanks
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 19:13   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Pretty sure it has the same shaped saddle tank so will have a similar setup of a pump pulling fuel across as the level goes down.
If the pump fails, it can run out prematurely even if the needle is showing that the tank isn't empty.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 19:20   #3
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Pretty sure it has the same shaped saddle tank so will have a similar setup of a pump pulling fuel across as the level goes down.
If the pump fails, it can run out prematurely even if the needle is showing that the tank isn't empty.

Pump has not failed as it works with fuel .But I think there is a float and this might be sticky ??
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 21:12   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

The float is just to read the level so shouldn't affect flow or starting.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 22:52   #5
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The float is just to read the level so shouldn't affect flow or starting.
But if its stuck and showing there is fuel when there is not. Then its a issue

Seems when on the first or second level guide .If you park facing up or down or even to one side many people have had the same issue .Including another member today who added fuel and his car also jumped into life
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 08:26   #6
reggit
Premier Member

If the gauge is showing the last white bar above red, look at the in tank pump. This seems to be the level where it’s only reading the remaining fuel in the passenger side of the tank. I’d suggest there’s a problem with the in-tank plumbing and the pump isn’t scavenging the fuel in the passenger side.

If you’ve got Vida, read the float levels on the REM, I’m guessing it will show the driver side empty and the passenger side will read fuel remaining.

Worth changing the filter though as it’s cheap and may be gunked up.
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 09:14   #7
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
If the gauge is showing the last white bar above red, look at the in tank pump. This seems to be the level where it’s only reading the remaining fuel in the passenger side of the tank. I’d suggest there’s a problem with the in-tank plumbing and the pump isn’t scavenging the fuel in the passenger side.

If you’ve got Vida, read the float levels on the REM, I’m guessing it will show the driver side empty and the passenger side will read fuel remaining.

Worth changing the filter though as it’s cheap and may be gunked up.
Thanks .
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 15:23   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
But if its stuck and showing there is fuel when there is not. Then its a issue
Sure you want an accurate gauge but a faulty float still won't prevent starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
many people have had the same issue .Including another member today who added fuel and his car also jumped into life
You've basically answered your own question.
They've got the car started with putting in more fuel not by fixing a float.

As mentioned, Vida will give the fuel level reading for both halves of the tank so very quick and easy to see the operation of both floats.