Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bluetooth OBD2 Reader

Views : 2189

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2021, 00:48   #1
Nick White

Default Bluetooth OBD2 Reader

Hi All
New member here and first time Volvo owner. I am based in Thailand and have just bought a S60 T8 recharge. I would like to use a simple bluetooth OBD2 reader so I can use my phone to monitor things like engine rpm and coolant temperature. Separately, the phone will be used with the DVR system as well.
A simple ELM 327 based device will suffice with an appropriate android app. If any member has experience of this and can make a recommendation then it would really help. Apologies if this has already been discussed but I have been unable to find any info on the forums regarding this.
Nick White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 01:35   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I have one of those cheap ELM327 readers, less than £5 on ebay, (chinese copy) it works on my XC90 D5 and reads everything you mentioned and a lot more. I have an app on my phone and android tablet to link to it.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 26th, 2021 at 01:37.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 05:32   #3
jotka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I have one of those cheap ELM327 readers, less than £5 on ebay, (chinese copy) it works on my XC90 D5 and reads everything you mentioned and a lot more. I have an app on my phone and android tablet to link to it.

could you please share the link so I buy the correct one? I also have D5. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 08:49   #4
Chudy85
Volvo family member

I disappointed with ELM327 and Torque app as there is no way to find PID codes to get all volvo sensors. Yes you can get RPM's, Cooler temp, speed but it is only basic reads
The Following User Says Thank You to Chudy85 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 09:19   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotka View Post
could you please share the link so I buy the correct one? I also have D5. Thanks a lot.
The one I bought, the supplier no longer has them in stock but it is the same as this one in the link below, They are ok for displaying live data and it says you can read and reset fault codes but I have never had any faults come up to try that function yet.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224128041451
You need to download the free Torque Lite app to interface with the ELM reader.

As a device to use to display dials and see RPM, Temperature, Boost pressure, 0 - 60mph, Volts and many more it is good but for proper diagnostics you need a good fault code reader, for this money (less than £5) it is great for what it does. Nothing to lose at that price.
Screenshot_20211026-113312_Torque (Lite).jpg
The dials can be resized, you can have one or more to a page, and have graphs instead of dials, the screen shot is without it being linked to the ELM hence no readings. You can pick and choose which dials from many to display.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 26th, 2021 at 11:44.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 11:36   #6
Nick White

My car has a 3 year warranty so, at the moment, not really interested in full on diagnostics. But I do like a coolant temperature reading and a rev counter as I only have a rev counter when in power mode.
Nick White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 12:17   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
I disappointed with ELM327 and Torque app as there is no way to find PID codes to get all volvo sensors. Yes you can get RPM's, Cooler temp, speed but it is only basic reads
I've seen there are internet forums and YT vidclips quoting Torque PIDs, however I now use the free version of the 'Car Scanner' app for Android and - when the correct vehicle ID is set up - most of the things I want to monitor are available... Including DPF loading in grams (both ash and soot) and engine oil level in mm.
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 09:22   #8
piotrek

Zebster is right, the Car Scanner ElmObd2 will show DPF soot content in SPA cars.

Nick White - Car Scanner should give you access to the T8 plug-in battery parameters.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 033.jpg (83.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 711.jpg (104.7 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 817.jpg (135.2 KB, 114 views)
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piotrek For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 10:28   #9
bornmiddleaged
:-)

[QUOTE=piotrek;2780341]Zebster is right, the Car Scanner ElmObd2 will show DPF soot content in SPA cars.

None of the connection profiles seem suitable for SPA cars, which one should be selected?
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 13:43   #10
piotrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornmiddleaged View Post
None of the connection profiles seem suitable for SPA cars, which one should be selected?
In Car Scanner you can select OBD-II/EOBD or Volvo 2014+ VEA (not SPA).

Actually both profiles show DPF soot in SPA cars, sensor is called: Normalised trigger for PF regen %.
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote