Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Stuck on Installing Software

Views : 2332

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 14:08   #1
Franko1960

Default Sensus Stuck on Installing Software

I got a message in the car to download the latest Western European Map.
I took about 10 mins to download, but now it is in a loop where the system keeps saying "installing software". Been like this now for 5 days and with around 5 hours driven.
Tried resetting sensus but no change.

Map is showing as installed. Any ideas?
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 15:29   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko1960 View Post
I took about 10 mins to download
It would take much longer than that to download. Western Europe map is over 50GB so even on my fibre connection at home it takes a couple of hours.

Actually, I'm not sure it allows you download Westren Europe over the air.

I suspect the download is incomplete and corrupt.
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 16:54   #3
OldEngineer

According to Volvo a map update is due today. The last was 1356 but there isn't a later one posted today.
Do you think you are stuck waiting for the new or was it trying to install 1356?
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 21:35   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
It would take much longer than that to download. Western Europe map is over 50GB so even on my fibre connection at home it takes a couple of hours.

Actually, I'm not sure it allows you download Westren Europe over the air.

I suspect the download is incomplete and corrupt.
You can do over the air Western Europe downloads, W E maps are all I ever use and update OTA.

The OTA downloads only add the updates not the full map and they are usually only about 200 - 300mb in size, going off the WiFi data used to download. Once in a while they do a larger update that gives a message "download to large for OTA, use USB" (or similar message) one of the large USB downloads I did was about 2gb, which is around the size of the W E map, the whole of Europe download would be nearer the 40- 50gb.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 25th, 2021 at 21:45.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 21:50   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko1960 View Post
I got a message in the car to download the latest Western European Map.
I took about 10 mins to download, but now it is in a loop where the system keeps saying "installing software". Been like this now for 5 days and with around 5 hours driven.
Tried resetting sensus but no change.

Map is showing as installed. Any ideas?
You could try downloading the update on to an "empty" USB stick from you PC and putting it in the cars USB slot, if you already have it installed it will put a message on Sensus screen.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 25th, 2021 at 21:53.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 22:18   #6
neon
Premier Member

I had the same issue, downloaded just the 2gb update and tried everything, just kept saying updating. Tried downloading 3 times, formatting stick in different formats.
Phoned Volvo but they said they had no one who was trained technically to help me.
They gave me a number of a person at a dealership who they said was great with these things.
I said I was surprised after this version of Sensus had been out so long that no one at Volvo UK could help.
Anyway I rang the guy at the dealership. I explained what I was doing step by step, he said I was doing everything right.
Eventually I downloaded the full Europe version of 52gb and this installed fine.
Looks like the update 2 gb version is corrupt.
Shame on Volvo for not checking it, wasted a lot of my time, unless it is just certain configs it will not work on.

Last edited by neon; Oct 25th, 2021 at 22:24.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neon For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 09:38   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
You can do over the air Western Europe downloads, W E maps are all I ever use and update OTA.
Yes, my bad. I'd forgotten that Volvo's definition of what Western Europe means is different from literally everyone else's.

I was, of course, thinking of the 'full' Europe map which is >50GB and is the one I use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 12:35   #8
Franko1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
I had the same issue, downloaded just the 2gb update and tried everything, just kept saying updating. Tried downloading 3 times, formatting stick in different formats.
Phoned Volvo but they said they had no one who was trained technically to help me.
They gave me a number of a person at a dealership who they said was great with these things.
I said I was surprised after this version of Sensus had been out so long that no one at Volvo UK could help.
Anyway I rang the guy at the dealership. I explained what I was doing step by step, he said I was doing everything right.
Eventually I downloaded the full Europe version of 52gb and this installed fine.
Looks like the update 2 gb version is corrupt.
Shame on Volvo for not checking it, wasted a lot of my time, unless it is just certain configs it will not work on.
I have downloaded the full Europe version, so hopefully it will install and overwrite the glitch. Only problem I see is it will not install and put in a queue.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 16:52   #9
destone

All-- if Sensus upgrade via USB repeatedly fails, try my workaround.
  1. Shut down car and lock
  2. Format USB
  3. Download latest "1 GB - Voice Control" update
  4. Start car
  5. Upload (i.e. install) onto car
  6. Shut down car and lock
  7. Re-format USB
  8. Download Europe - 52 GB - Sensus Maps
  9. Start car
  10. Upload (i.e. install) to car
  11. Shut down car and lock
  12. Wait 15 mins
  13. Start car and the maps should be working
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 20:25   #10
met24

What destone says -- I had this problem and Volvo were scratching their heads about it, a reset to factory state gets you your maps back but it would hang as soon as you tried the full upload again.

It was only when I realised I wasn't getting any voice instructions (which I normally leave turned off) and voice control had stopped working as well that, on a whim, I downloaded the latest voice update and applied that. Then the full map update worked as well.