Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Recharge Electric Range

Views : 1577

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 18:40   #1
griffin447

Default XC60 Recharge Electric Range

Curious to know what other peoples range is like in both hybrid mode and electric “pure” mode?

I have a MY22 XC60 T6 Recharge and at the moment get about 21 miles real world range in hybrid mode.

Thanks 😊
griffin447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 19:07   #2
tdw197

Exactly the same - same model too. Not great really.

At least it gives you the real life range on the charge gauge.

Notices the ‘pulled’ update promised big changes on range, no idea what has happened with that now.
tdw197 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdw197 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 19:30   #3
sk546
Master Member

Same here, 20-21 miles in Hybrid (sometimes a mile or 2 more if I get decent regen in places) and 24 or so miles in Pure however, I never use Pure in summer as it doesn't run the A/C compressor to save electric and so it tends to get pretty warm.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 21:13   #4
griffin447

Thanks both - would be interesting to know what the bigger battery XC60s get when they start getting released. Based on our supposed 34 miles range they will be lucky to get 30 miles real world. Really not worth the upgrade when you consider the RRP increases and lack of Volvo incentives.

I think you’re right tho - I reckon a lot of it is down to software. I know on a run in hybrid it will randomly switch to battery on the motorway when really it will be more efficient just ticking over the petrol engine. Hopefully this improves over time 😊
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 22:47   #5
Director76
Master Member

Not the same vehicle but we reliably and regular do a 24.5 mile round trip off our fully charged 11,6kW T8 XC90 in pure which we do twice a day with a charge up between.

It is right pedal dependent and if you’re not careful it will run out a mile short of home, though equally on slow, heavy traffic journeys I’ve got home with 2 miles indicated left.

Always pre-heat if the temp is low
D76
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 01:07   #6
Charnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw197 View Post
Exactly the same - same model too. Not great really.

At least it gives you the real life range on the charge gauge.

Notices the ‘pulled’ update promised big changes on range, no idea what has happened with that now.
I think that was someone copying the notes for the XC40 software update into the XC60 page by mistake.
Charnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 06:40   #7
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin447 View Post
Based on our supposed 34 miles range they will be lucky to get 30 miles real world. Really not worth the upgrade when you consider the RRP increases and lack of Volvo incentives.

I think you’re right tho - I reckon a lot of it is down to software. I know on a run in hybrid it will randomly switch to battery on the motorway when really it will be more efficient just ticking over the petrol engine. Hopefully this improves over time 😊
For me, the new cars bigger battery and increased range is a bonus but not the big draw, the extra 55hp in the new electric motor is the biggest incentive when considering upgrading to the new MY22 car, along with the Android Automotive that will hopefully have most of the bugs ironed out by the time I decide to upgrade.

Regarding battery use when cruising on the motorway, the easiest way to sort this out is to select the 'Hold' mode as you enter any fast moving dual carriageway or motorway, that way the car will not drain the battery trying use electric mode at 70+mph, either that or cruise at 78+mph when the car decides its beyond electric mode speed and only uses the ICE.

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 06:49   #8
griffin447

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
For me, the new cars bigger battery and increased range is a bonus but not the big draw, the extra 55hp in the new electric motor is the biggest incentive when considering upgrading to the new MY22 car, along with the Android Automotive that will hopefully have most of the bugs ironed out by the time I decide to upgrade.

Regarding battery use when cruising on the motorway, the easiest way to sort this out is to select the 'Hold' mode as you enter any fast moving dual carriageway or motorway, that way the car will not drain the battery trying use electric mode at 70+mph, either that or cruise at 78+mph when the car decides its beyond electric mode speed and only uses the ICE.
It’s not really an increase in power though as you lose roughly the same amount of power from the petrol engine to make up for it. Regarding the hold function, yes that’s true but then you have to remember to turn it off when slowing down otherwise you end up using more petrol. The easiest way to fix it would be to launch a software update. I’ve definitely noticed a few glitches which would increase the range just by pushing a software update. Bugs to android automotive will continue to come if not more so when you have an updated drivetrain that hasn’t been fully tested yet!
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 07:15   #9
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin447 View Post
It’s not really an increase in power though as you lose roughly the same amount of power from the petrol engine to make up for it.
Well, it is actually an increase in electric power but like you say, there is a similar loss in petrol power that evens out the overall power output. However, as the electric motor is utilised alot for pulling away and lots of normal driving, the car WILL feel much more responsive and spirited with the electric power increase.
Volvo's decision to remove the Supercharger from the ICE powertrain is rather a negative from my side (one of the main reasons for the reduction in ICE output) as I liked the character the supercharger gave the car but in an effort to increase economy and reduce emissions, I assume it had to go at some stage.
That and the lack of steering wheel paddle shifters are quite big negatives in my book so I will have to consider if the new XC60 is actually the right move or not.
Griffin447, I do note quite a bit of negativity in your replies towards a car & manufacturer you have likely paid alot of money for, is it that much of a disappointment?

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 09:32   #10
RandolphC

our 22XC60 T8 recharge gives 21 in hybrid but actually gives a bit more as it recharges during the drive. My regular journey is 40 miles each way, I use the route planner for the outward journey and the battery is used up but does get some use on the return with an overall consumption of about 55mpg all on rural roads
RandolphC is offline   Reply With Quote