Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

sump plug vagueness

Views : 731

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 15:43   #1
Crazy L

Default sump plug vagueness

Right. I want (need) to do an oil change on my '08 V50 2.0D.

I've read on here that some bloke says the oil capacity is now 4. something litres. It isn't, my handbook says 5.5 litres. So who's lying?

Also, sump plug. I come from 20 years of VAG ownership, where I never once changed a sump washer, and all the sump plugs I torqued up were all 30 newtons, from Mk2 golfs, to Audi A3s, and never had a plug weep, ever. I've seen the internet tell me I need a new washer, I don't need a new washer, I must use a new plug, I can re-use the plug.

So

Question #1: Am I right in pouring in 5.5 litres of oil?

Question #2: What is the torque of the sump plug

Question #3: Can I re use either the washer, or bolt, or both?

Many thanks for clearing up these vaguarities in advance
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 18:42   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post

I've read on here that some bloke says the oil capacity is now 4. something litres. It isn't, my handbook says 5.5 litres. So who's lying?

Also, sump plug. I come from 20 years of VAG ownership, where I never once changed a sump washer, and all the sump plugs I torqued up were all 30 newtons, from Mk2 golfs, to Audi A3s, and never had a plug weep, ever. I've seen the internet tell me I need a new washer, I don't need a new washer, I must use a new plug, I can re-use the plug.

So

Question #1: Am I right in pouring in 5.5 litres of oil? - Double check the manual is definitely correct for your car (not the wrong engine etc) and if so, do what the manual says.

Question #2: What is the torque of the sump plug - On my PETROL engine it's about 34-36 nm

Question #3: Can I re use either the washer, or bolt, or both? - At the very least change the washer, preferably both. - https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...oducts_id=6233

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 18:13   #3
Wgl2020

Volvo updated their oil fill volumes so your handbook may be out of date.

Personally I would start with 4.8l before checking the level and adding a little bit more if required.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=190569

No need to use a new sump plug each time however the crush washer is designed to be a one use only item ( and cost pence). You may be fine reusing the old one but why bother?

End of the day though..... Your car and your choice 😉
Wgl2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 20:26   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:

So

Q 3 , gen volvo oil filters come With the crush washer as well as the correct size oring on the petrol 2.4i engine ,
and as a crush washer is a single use item, costs pence per,
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 11:14   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

even a new crush washer is is not fool proof just wrap a couple of winds of p t f e tape on the plug for a perfect seal every time.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 18:13   #6
Crazy L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgl2020 View Post
Volvo updated their oil fill volumes so your handbook may be out of date.

Personally I would start with 4.8l before checking the level and adding a little bit more if required.
Massive thanks chaps for the replies.

I have a question regarding the above though. If I was an older gent who didn't have the internet, but was inclined to do my own oil changes, like many folk of a certain disposition I'd wager. Then would he be ruining his engine by pouring 5.5l in it? This hypothetical bloke is only going by the official volvo handbook, which he got with the car.

That said, When I posed the question, it was of an evening and was looking at doing the job the next day.

As I'm over 40, I don't have my phone glued to my hand all day so used the handbook volume. To be fair, I bought this car in March, and it is the 1st oil change I have bestowed upon it. I filled my oil tray up to the brim, and this doesn't usually happen with the 4.something I have put in VAG engines in the past, so can only conclude that around 5.5- ish came out. I simply replaced like for like.

In my defence also, I always undo the filler cap and leave it to drain for a couple of hours. Kept an eye on the dipstick while filling to make sure I didn't go above the max.

I used the old washer, after I dressed it on a flat surface. I did it up to 32Nm, as still not fully sure what it's meant to be, didn't round bolt out, and I have no leaks. I left it til the next day before I checked.

Turns over ok.

So, next time, I will use 4.8l instead, and a new washer, and do it up to 32Nm again. Live and learn I suppose.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 21:30   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
x
I'm sure it'll all be fine. If the dipstick is between the min and max I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 08:57   #8
I2ichie

I have just changed the oil on my 2008 v50 2.0d. I would say that 4.8L of old oil came out, I filled up with 4l of fresh oil and then kept checking the dip stick was just under 5l of oil used. I also re used the old sump plug and washer as they were both in good condition no drips 2 days later and 300 miles 👍🏼 One of the easiest oil changes to date and I have done a few different cars!
I2ichie is offline   Reply With Quote