Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P3 Models inc XC60 AC Constant Whining Noise

Views : 9659

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2021, 15:13   #1
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

Default P3 Models inc XC60 AC Constant Whining Noise

P3 - Air Conditioning unusual constant 'whining' noise.

Our 2014 XC60 D4 AWD has been making an unusual loud whining noise only when the AC was on, sounding like a bearing on it's way out or like the annoying electric power steering on the Minis - we feared it was the compressor.

Google was king and resulted in finding a Technical Service Bulletin for Volvo Cars North America relating to a modified AC pipe. Spoke to Volvo and they said they had never heard of this complaint and expected it to be the compressor rather than a pipe (which made perfect sense tbf)....decided to go with the AC pipe as a starting point and work upwards.

The air conditioning pipe is the Low Pressure return flexi to the compressor, literally 10 minutes to install.

Pipe ordered, refrigerant recovered, pipe fitted and regassed. FIXED...no more annoying 'whinnnning'.

How many I wonder have made a similar complaint and ended up replacing the compressor for £££$$$. AC pipe was £130 and is a modified part.

Not sure how this new pipe prevents the annoying sound, the original wasn't fouling any of the bodywork or mountings....very strange.

Technical Journal 29474

DESCRIPTION:

Unusual noise described as a drilling noise may be audible from the AC system when the AC compressor is engaged, most frequent during idle or low speed driving and ambient temperature range 59-86 degrees.

PRODUCT MODIFICATION:

New AC pipe with integrated muffler has been introduced at the factories from 2014w26 for 5cyl and 6 cyl engines. New part number was added for -2013w20 5cyl engines and if this noise is present, do not replace the AC compressor or TXV valve.

Note:
This hose was introduced in the 4 cyl engine 2013w46.

In case of customer complaints, install the new AC pipe with muffler according to VIDA.

P/N31436536 5cyl engines
P/N31407977 5cyl engines -2013w20
P/N31436537 6cyl engines

Hope this helps/saves someone mistakingly replacing the expensive AC compressor along with belts etc when the issue is the ac pipe.
stephenevans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 17:49   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I have said whine on my 2015 D5 XC60, I have already replaced the compressor which didn't cure it. My sister has the same issue, to a lesser degree, on her 2013 D5 XC70.

However according to the TJ you kindly shared, my car (March 15 build) should have the modified part? Or have I misunderstood it an it's to be fitted to cars built from that point?

Is the part number printed on the hose - I'd like to check what's fitted.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 20:51   #3
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post

However according to the TJ you kindly shared, my car (March 15 build) should have the modified part? Or have I misunderstood it an it's to be fitted to cars built from that point?

Is the part number printed on the hose - I'd like to check what's fitted.
I would expect your car being a March 15 build could've had the modified pipe fitted from the factory...or maybe it just missed out which explains why you have the 'ac whine'.

I've just checked the new part and strangely enough it's just one digit out from the ones listed in the TSB...I imagine it's best to take note of the Technical Service Bulletin number and ask the Service or Parts Dept in your local Volvo Dealership....our Service Dept chap almost dismissed it but brought in a Tech from the Workshop and between them they ordered the correct modified part.

Here's my new AC Pipe Part Number 31407976:

stephenevans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 23:57   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Thanks for posting - I'll check mine out tomorrow....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 23:48   #5
Ross1990

Quote:
Thanks for posting - I'll check mine out tomorrow....
Good evening, I have exact same issue with my 2015 xc60 D5. I haven’t changed compressor/pump yet. Did you manage to cure this in the end?
Thanks
Ross
Ross1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 01:19   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1990 View Post
Good evening, I have exact same issue with my 2015 xc60 D5. I haven’t changed compressor/pump yet. Did you manage to cure this in the end?
Thanks
Ross
No not yet, but that’s entirely down to my apathy. The a/c works just fine, just a little noisy when hot, I’ve not found the time yet to dig deeper…
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 04:07   #7
JGEM

Default AC whine

My May 2009 build XC60 D5 has had an AC whine for 8 years now. The compressor failed a couple of years ago (bearing failure) and I had high hopes that the new compressor would cure the whine, but unfortunately it reappeared.

I asked the local Volvo dealer about the applicability of this product bulletin to my car but they said it was not applicable.

The technical journal says it is applicable to the US / Canada market and for cars from 2012 model year on, but goes on to mention 5 cylinder engines. As far as I'm aware Volvo has never sold XC60 5 cylinder variants in the US (and definitely no 5 cylinder diesels). i had a search for the part 31436536 recommended for the 5 cylinder engine and it seems to be for the 5 cylinder petrol engine when I look at US parts sites.

I wonder how much difference there is between AC systems for petrol engine versus diesel? I suspect that the bulletin may well be applicable to my car but given it's now a 13 years old high mileage car and has a few bumps and scratches I've given up on the search for perfection. I have found that when the whining starts if I cycle the AC on and off it generally goes away for a while, so I've learned to live with it.
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 08:59   #8
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenevans99 View Post
P3 - Air Conditioning unusual constant 'whining' noise.

Not sure how this new pipe prevents the annoying sound, the original wasn't fouling any of the bodywork or mountings....very strange.

New AC pipe with integrated muffler
Think you answered your own question - new pipe has an integrated muffler!
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 11:21   #9
Ross1990

Quote:
No not yet, but that’s entirely down to my apathy. The a/c works just fine, just a little noisy when hot, I’ve not found the time yet to dig deeper…
Yes I have been living with it for the last couple of years just noticed it more during this warmer weather. Air con is still nice and cold. I tend to run it all year round to keep the interior drier in the winter months. Thought maybe I had worn the compressor out from constant use.
Thanks
Ross
Ross1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 22:19   #10
Ross1990

Ok so looking into this fault a bit more now trying to work it all out as have been told by a couple of different garages it will be the aircon pump. Don’t want to throw bits at it for no reason as I have read people saying pump does not fix the issue.

To confirm, my car is a 2015 xc60 D5 AWD. Current mileage 110,000.
This noise started to become evident around 2020 and 80,000 miles (it may have been there from slightly earlier just not noticeable)
Noise is exactly as everyone else says. Changes with engine rpm and stops completely when air con turned off. So we know where it’s coming from.

My next question is, if the problem relates to the above (air con pipe)
Why would the noise start appearing after approx 5 years old and 70,000 - 80,000 miles.
Would this not be evident from much earlier if it was just a pipe that was wrong from build?

Tags
air conditioning, bulletin 29474, noise, volvo p3, xc60