Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

need help! is this engine noise normal on a 850 T5?

Views : 836

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2021, 15:04   #1
luancleb

Default need help! is this engine noise normal on a 850 T5?

Hey guys, I'm from Brazil and we don't have a really strong Volvo community around. I'm searching for a 850 in good conditions around here (which is kinda hard, maintenance isn't cheap for imports here, so most of them are kinda roughed up). I've stumbled across an immaculate blue 850 T5 automatic sedan with 100k miles - however, the car is about 1200km away from where I live and I didn't want to waste my time going there for nothing.

I've asked the seller for a video with the engine idling. I can hear kinda of a tapping noise (valve clearance adjustment needed, maybe?), but since I don't have any experience with inline 5's, I really don't know if the sound produced by that engine is actually normal. By the way, the car is 100% stock.

Could you guys please check the video out? I know is kinda hard to make assumptions based on the audio, but it would help me a lot having an expert's opinion
(p.s.: sorry for any english errors - not my native tongue)

you can hear it on the link below: (I've posted it on imgur, since I can't upload it directly here)

https://imgur.com/a/fEiMfs9

Thanks!
luancleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 16:12   #2
Pupbelly

From memory there's something to do with the fuel rail or fuel pressure regulator that can make a clicking sound which can be mistaken for valve clatter. This is apparently quite normal so if this is the case then you should be ok.

Its normal that a video will pick up on higher pitch noises more than the human ear so it will sound "worse" than normal. Sometimes its down to the device you are listening to it on too. A mobile will again accentuate the high tones rather than low. Maybe listen to it through a decent speaker or radio if possible, it might not sound so bad.

The noise at the end of the clip as the camera pivots around sounds like there is a moped or something driving off in the background, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Last edited by Pupbelly; Oct 19th, 2021 at 16:50.
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 11:00   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

My old S70 T5 sounded similar - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDRVZv0DjW4 (The loud whirring noise is the engine fan)

I'd just changed the timing belt and thought I'd mucked that up, but luckily it turned out to be a sticky tappet. I used some Wynns Hydraulic Valve Treatment and the noise went away within 50 miles of driving. It ran very smoothly after that.

I'm not saying that your car has the same issue, but if it has been standing for a while it is possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 11:29   #4
4x4
I roll

My 850 engine is almost silent when idling, however when I recorded a video on my phone it sounded like a bag of spanners
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 11:34   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

I can't hear the sound on the clip for some reason, but be aware that the injectors can make a distinct ticking noise, which is normal, and may be amplified on the recording.

Just to note - that coolant reservoir looks pretty mucky, if it were mine I'd be cleaning it out and doing a coolant flush. Also it has a grey cap, these are known to cause problems, it's cheaply and easily changed for a green one, that is more reliable.
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 13:24   #6
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

As above, the injectors tend to get pretty noisy and make a ticking noise but this isn't a problem.
You can't adjust the valve clearances as the engine has "self adjusting" hydraulic tappets. If one of these is sticky it will make a loud ticking noise - but it doesn't sound like that in your video.
Cam and tappet face wear is very very rarely an issue on these engines

Regards
John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 13:48   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
My 850 engine is almost silent when idling, however when I recorded a video on my phone it sounded like a bag of spanners
Exactly this ^^^^^

There are so many variables with a recording the only real test is standing by the car and listening.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 13:28   #8
Fazat

Sounds similar to the sticky/empty tappet sound I had on my T5 once I got it going after 5 odd years standing.
An oil change and similar stuff that Rolling Thunder used sorted the problem out for me in the end.

If you buy the car hopefully it will be an easy cheap fix for you
Fazat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 13:30   #9
Juular

It doesn't sound broken.

It sounds like my T5 after I had rebuilt it and the oil had still yet to reach the tappets fully.

If it's been sitting a while it might just need a good run.

The only other thing to watch is that the o-ring seals on the sump can fail and cause the top end to be starved of oil. It's not a major job to fix.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 15:07   #10
Mkengineering
Master Member

Sounds pretty normal to me
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote