Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BEWARE - stolen cat!

Views : 8884

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2021, 11:03   #11
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've asked Kev and he does have the middle box still if you need it
Thanks Ryland, that is a really kind offer.

As the back box is blowing anyway I think it is time to replace the whole system if I go ahead so I'll see what is out there. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 11:10   #12
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
Thanks Ryland, that is a really kind offer.

As the back box is blowing anyway I think it is time to replace the whole system if I go ahead so I'll see what is out there. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
LeeP
Hi Lee

I got a catback Volvo system from FRF for £190 odd delivered
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 12:18   #13
kiloran

Quote:
Thanks Forrest.

We have security lights (but no camera) although some of the action was captured on a near neighbour's camera.

Another neighbour with security lights had the cat from their MX5 stolen at the same time. It was on their drive, right outside their front window and they saw it happening. When they tried to open their front door the thieves prevented them opening it by holding a crow bar on the door handle. By the time they got through the house and out the garden gate the deed was done and the guys were calmly walking down the street to the getaway car. These people seem to have no fear about being seen or being challenged at all.

I always thought this sort of thing happened at dead of night but this was just before 7 PM. Seems we are not safe at any time.

Cheers,
LeeP
We have a crowbar and a baseball bat just inside the front door for such eventualities. And being a big bloke, with a neighbour made of granite who's wider than he is tall, we seem not to have these issues yet. Free security lighting from the house over the road which is a bit of a pain most of the time because it's too sensitive, but suspect it helps discourage the scrotes.

I wouldn't fancy getting under a 940, they're not exactly high off the ground if they drop off a jack.
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 12:19   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Folks,

A big collective thank you for all the good wishes and practical suggestions especially links to parts. I'll do some research today and drop a few PMs.

To be honest still not sure which way to go as the car is now my second car (there are two other classics in the stable) and it only has an MoT until December. In fact I drafted an advert a few months back to put on here but have been putting it off as I still enjoy driving it. I'm also concerned that if I do all this work what is to stop the swine returning and nabbing the new cat?

Some serious thinking over the next few days!

Cheers all,
LeeP
If you fit an aftermarket cat, there are much fewer precious metals in them so are worth a lot less than genuine, almost nothing in terms of scrap so they tend not to bother. Usually older cars are left alone because many of them have had replacement aftermarket cats so hopefully just a one off.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 12:44   #15
baggy798
🤍💙💗

The original 960 cats go for around £700 iirc, perhaps the original 940 ones do too.
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 16:51   #16
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Hi Lee

I got a catback Volvo system from FRF for £190 odd delivered
Thanks - that is good value. Was that recently?

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 17:35   #17
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks - that is good value. Was that recently?

Cheers,
LeeP
It was around April /May this year

I will double check part number
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 21:53   #18
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Cat theft is, as you’ll know/have realised, unfortunately very lucrative and almost risk free as it’s so quick to carry out and the chance of the crime being investigated is vanishingly low.

I watched three guys cut the cat off a Toyota Prius at the end of my road at 10am on a Sunday morning in broad daylight, with people walking by. My girlfriend thought they were changing a wheel (they had a dummy spare wheel leant up against the car) and as above, it took about a minute. This was in East London, but friends and forum posts like this one tell similar stories from all over the country.

As I realised what what they were up to I called 999 from a safe distance and it took longer to get through to the police than for them to finish. Jack, cat and dummy spare wheel into the boot of the waiting car and they were gone. I looked up the plates online and the plates were for a vehicle that was taxed and moted, but no doubt cloned.

We have kept our current main car for longer than we expected to, as a direct result of the frequency of car thefts, since a newer vehicle would probably be a hybrid and a target.

Without wanting to get into a political discussion (and distract from the OPs request for practical advice) this is what 10 years of austerity and reduction in police numbers look like- cat theft, along with many other crimes, is something too low level for the police to have the time and resources to deal with.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 00:20   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

There are a few "occupational hazards" to being a cat thief, the most obvious being the jack collapses/car falls off the jack while the scrote is underneath surgically removing the cat.
There have been a few of these cases seen but sadly it doesn't deter them. If the police still had their teeth that Tony B Liar extracted in the late 90s and hadn't had their numbers decimated under the conservatives (blamed on Tony B Liar also because they had to implement austerity as a result of Labours excessive spending/borrowing) then maybe there wouldn't be so much crime.

Also the do-gooders that tell us we can't punish someone because they've recently come to the country and that would be "racist" need a good kick up the arms-reversed - if they do the crime then they can do the time, criminal acts are criminal acts no matter where you come from.

Like you i don't want it to get political, i've mentioned the political bits in the hope nobody else will, nobody is specifically to blame but this country has descended into lawlessness in the past 2 decades and it shouldn't have done.

Meanwhile let's hope Lee (the OP) can get his car sorted ASAP and that someone, somewhere comes up with a solution to cat theft.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 13:53   #20
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Well, we didn’t have to implement austerity and it has been extensively debunked as a solution- the U.K. was sold a comprehensive lie on that front.

Unfortunately I think cat theft is here to stay and is only going to get worse.

There is a finite supply of rare earth metals, either from mining or from second hand catalytic converters, so the demand and rarity are keeping values high, neither of which are going to go away anytime soon.

Irrespective of how we got to this point, the police are overstretched and cat theft isn’t something they have time for.

The vast majority of cars on the road have easily accessible and stealable cats, although Honda has made some progress on this front by moving cats into the engine bay on some new models, making them far more difficult to steal.

There have been some attempts to set up a monitoring system for scrap metal dealers, the reasoning being as it’s proved almost impossible to stop the theft, then stopping the easy sale of the removed cats is another way to stop the problem- but nothing comprehensive has been put in place so far and even if there was such a scheme in the U.K., it would be fairly simple to load a container full and ship it to somewhere with less paperwork.

So both demand is going to stay high and the places to sell the cats on to are here to stay.

So what to do then. All you can do is make your car less appealing than someone else’s and since lights and cameras aren’t a deterrent any more, that means either adding ‘cat lock’ type extra physical security under the car, so there’s more to cut through to get to the cat.

I don’t have a car with a valuable cat on it (the modern car is both old and small enough that the cat isn’t worth much, making it not worth the effort and my 240 is old enough to not have one) but if I had a 940 I’d seriously consider taking the original cat out of the system and replacing it either with a cheap replacement cat or just another silencer, with the original cat kept and refitted for the mot. I appreciate that it’s illegal to drive a car without a cat if one was fitted from new as well as immoral, going against the whole reasoning for having a cat there in the first place, but if the alternative is shelling out £500 or so every so often for a new cat, with the associated aggravation etc, then what choice do people have really?

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
thieving cat b4stards