Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Infotainment

Views : 704

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2021, 12:31   #1
Kevin_L

Default Infotainment

Hi as much as I really like my 2005 V70 and the fact it's ULEZ compliant (I live in North London) there are a few things that if like to upgrade... The single biggest one is the radio/navigation.... The HU850 failed two years ago never fixed and as for the nav.... There isn't any!! My 2002 V70 had nav and TV....

I travel Inn and drive new cars and they're fine.... Most of the more budget ones dont have the options I have....

Though they all have infotainment systems and they're great.

What's the best retrofit into mine to provide something similar.... So radio.... Bluetooth....plug on stuff..... Get Alexa on....internet.... navigation....phone.....

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Kevin
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 13:33   #2
abdiel
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_L View Post
Hi as much as I really like my 2005 V70 and the fact it's ULEZ compliant (I live in North London) there are a few things that if like to upgrade... The single biggest one is the radio/navigation.... The HU850 failed two years ago never fixed and as for the nav.... There isn't any!! My 2002 V70 had nav and TV....

I travel Inn and drive new cars and they're fine.... Most of the more budget ones dont have the options I have....

Though they all have infotainment systems and they're great.

What's the best retrofit into mine to provide something similar.... So radio.... Bluetooth....plug on stuff..... Get Alexa on....internet.... navigation....phone.....

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Kevin

I would advise you to stay clear of the Chinese units being touted on the usual selling sites. Also don't go anywhere near Bluepower (Sweden) units they have a terrible reputation for reliability despite being quite expensive.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 14:38   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I put a Sony XAV-AX3005DB in, came as a kit with reversing camera, it does everything you listed and does it well (not Alexa but Google voice commands)

Android auto is brilliant but make sure you have it added to the ignore battery saving sleep mode list on your phone or the map will hang halfway into your journey

They've done a few updates since then so maybe not an issue now

also usually the headlight on/off triggers night and day mode on the map which is otherwise insanely bright at night, so I put in a manual switch to trigger it instead because obviously you don't turn lights on and off in a volvo

A recent update said that night and day mode is 'now independent from the phone' but still doesn't trigger on the head unit at this point in time

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 15:14   #4
Kevin_L

Hi thanks

So that's £400 I see at Halfords

Did you fit? Or leave to someone else?

Do the steering wheel controls work?

At night I always turn down the brightness of the dash lights as it goes..... And I recall my old Volvo pop up screen had a manual selection between day and night mode..... And dimmed with the other dash lights.... Not that it makes a difference to this..... Though I do oddly miss the pop up nav/TV..... And the very harsh voiced directions!!

Can you still get the replacement Necvox pop up screen??
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 15:37   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I did all the fitting myself and yes I got a separate kit which makes the steering wheel controls work

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/volv...BoCBREQAvD_BwE

Apparently you can get the old screens and mod them to work with a Pi unit or similar but i didn't have the time to spend working all that out lol. Shame because the main advantage there is the positioning in terms of map being in your eye line while driving.. but then you wouldn't have the touch screen and you'd still have to work out some sort of Bluetooth set up, so swings and roundabouts really I guess. Besides you've got the woman giving you directions anyway

If you're into your audio it also has all the necessary outputs and a pretty decent EQ

mini project - link
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 15:39   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

When you pull out the old junk radio keep the metal surround that holds it together with the cup holder part because you need that to fit the new kit

mini project - link
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 15:41   #7
Kevin_L

Thanks

I don't have the steering wheel controls anyway for the Volvo nav

Though I have got everything out of my old 2002MY

But my friendly dealer told me my car was not pre wired by the factory for nav

And a radio would be good!!

PI....?? I can't think neither Magnum....?? What's PI.... apologies for the thickness
Old Oct 17th, 2021, 15:56   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Haha no a raspberry Pi, it's just a really small computer you can programme really easily with a basic programming language, you can buy kits for kids to make little robots and so on, schools use them for projects

https://magpi.raspberrypi.com/articl...-auto-openauto

mini project - link
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 12:32   #9
derek vivian

Default ULEZ compliant?

Hi Kevin of Enfield,
How do you know your car is ULEX compliant? I have a 1997 V90 and live in Whyteleafe (actually born in Enfield!!), but need to know if it is compliant. I have tried TFL, but they were not sure! Can you help in any way?
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 12:58   #10
Kevin_L

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

Try that one