Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Computer Says "No"

Views : 856

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 18:46   #1
gm77

Default Computer Says "No"

Hi All

I've just joined this forum to seek some advice. I acquired an XC90 one year ago which was an ex Volvo UK management car. The car is now suffering corrosion on all four alloys. As a 2 year old car I assumed it would be covered by warranty. Volvo UK have advised that as the corrosion is near the wheel nut holes, it could have been caused by the wheels being removed and refitted and therefore the claim was not valid. As its still on its original tyre bar one, and only done 13k miles, I can't see why the wheels would have required removal. I have tried to provide this information to Volvo UK to ask them to reconsider the claim, but they aren't interested. Instead, they have referred me to Motor Ombudsman.

This strikes me as shocking customer service. Has anyone had the same experience? Any tips on how to resolve?

The wheels are diamond cut so I know refurbishing them is not straight-forward, hence I'm keen to get it done properly through correct Volvo channels.

Thanks in advance

Greg
gm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 08:00   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Wheels get removed to service the brakes as well...

If you've had the car serviced by approved dealers, then you might have some cause to complain. However, if you've had the car serviced by an independent, you might not be in luck.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 11:21   #3
gm77

Thanks Pete. I agree.

The car has only had two services though and the pads and discs are original - the car has only done 13k miles. All services were with approved Volvo dealers.

I've now contacted Volvo's Global Customer Relations Team to see what happens and am raising the matter with the Motor Ombudsman at the same time.

It was the utter contempt that the UK Customer Relations team treated me with when I phoned to provide further information relevant for my claim. They just didn't care.

Greg
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 11:57   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm77 View Post
Hi All

I've just joined this forum to seek some advice. I acquired an XC90 one year ago which was an ex Volvo UK management car. The car is now suffering corrosion on all four alloys. As a 2 year old car I assumed it would be covered by warranty. Volvo UK have advised that as the corrosion is near the wheel nut holes, it could have been caused by the wheels being removed and refitted and therefore the claim was not valid. As its still on its original tyre bar one, and only done 13k miles, I can't see why the wheels would have required removal. I have tried to provide this information to Volvo UK to ask them to reconsider the claim, but they aren't interested. Instead, they have referred me to Motor Ombudsman.

This strikes me as shocking customer service. Has anyone had the same experience? Any tips on how to resolve?

The wheels are diamond cut so I know refurbishing them is not straight-forward, hence I'm keen to get it done properly through correct Volvo channels.

Thanks in advance

Greg
There is no mention of your dealer here ... Your first point of contact should have been through them not Volvo directly ...who will then deal with volvo on your behalf through a technical bulletin .. Im sure they would have pointed that out .

Corrosion isn't a common issue , there is always a cause and that is what people are going to have to find out . Are they the wheels the car left the factory with , were they changed before you bought the car? serial numbers should be checked . Hopefully you have the standard locking wheel bolts fitted.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 12:40   #5
gm77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is no mention of your dealer here ... Your first point of contact should have been through them not Volvo directly ...who will then deal with volvo on your behalf through a technical bulletin .. Im sure they would have pointed that out .

Corrosion isn't a common issue , there is always a cause and that is what people are going to have to find out . Are they the wheels the car left the factory with , were they changed before you bought the car? serial numbers should be checked . Hopefully you have the standard locking wheel bolts fitted.
Thank you, all valid points.

First contact was with the local Volvo dealer who most recently serviced the car and who submitted the claim. Volvo UK declined the claim and the dealer then recommended I speak to Customer Relations direct as the dealer had done all they could do.

The wheels are the same as the ones it left the factory with; the car is standard in every way. I haven't checked the serial numbers but I have seen similar cars to mine on the road with exactly the same wheels so I have no reason to believe they have ever been replaced.

I agree on the corrosion point. The wheels are diamond cut ones which I know are often prone to corrosion if the lacquer didn't adhere fully to the highly polished surface when applied. I feel however that if that is the cause it should constitute a manufacturing fault and be covered by warranty, and was somewhat disappointed that Volvo UK are trying to 'fog-me-off' with a spurious claim that I 'may' have damaged the wheels had I removed them with no reference to any event that would have caused me to remove the wheels.

Greg
The Following User Says Thank You to gm77 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 13:51   #6
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Is it true what am I seeing?

Changing wheels outside of main dealer invalidates warranty?
So if I get a puncture..

**** them.

I'm not buying any new car.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 14:33   #7
gm77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post

So if I get a puncture..

**** them.

If my experience is anything to go buy, that does appear to be the case but with one clarification. It doesn't matter if its an independent or a Volvo dealer, nor does it matter if you have removed the wheels or not - wheel corrosion appears not to be covered by warranty as they will assume you have damaged them some how...
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 19:01   #8
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post

So if I get a puncture..

**** them.

+1 for that. I also won’t buy any car with 19” wheels or a profile of 45 or lower. I won’t buy (another) car with diamond cut alloys. Or an ERAD system, or speed limiter at 112mph.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 19:02   #9
TeamG
Master Member

….forgot some.

With a can of spunk and a compressor rather than a spare.

Without a proper physical oil level dipstick.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, wheels, xc90