Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing New Car Deal from Trade In to Cash Deposit?

Views : 1073

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2021, 12:49   #1
Amatt

Default Changing New Car Deal from Trade In to Cash Deposit?

Hi All

Was looking to seek everyone's thoughts/comments before speaking to the dealer on this one:

I'm waiting on an XC60 delivery which I'm told is ready at the end of the month (after the typical expected delay). I'm trading in my Audi A5 for £18k but have since realised that We Buy Any Car will offer just over £22k for it. Even if that drops a little, it's still substantially more than the trade in value from Volvo.

The dealership have offered a really good deal on the XC60. Is it worth me asking if I can change the deal from trade in to a total cash deposit once I've confirmed the WBAC value? I don't know whether it's even an option to change the agreement with the dealer so late in the day. I wonder whether the deal I was offered may have been based on the expected return on my A5 once traded.

I don't really want to look a fool with the dealer if it's a complete no go so appreciate any comments from people.

Thanks.
Amatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 12:55   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I would doubt there world be any problem. In fact, I'd ask the dealer to offer more discount on the basis you're now not trading in. If you don't ask, you don't get!
Mind you, check the actual WBAC deal first (no experience myself, but apparently even the slightest problem with your car will reduce the amount they offer.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 13:30   #3
sk546
Master Member

Shouldn't be any issue to do what you are suggesting, the dealership will only be putting your part-ex straight into the auctions so its probably easier for them if you change.
The deal I got on mine when I bought it (around 13% off list price) was without a Part-ex but Volvo said they could add one on right up to handover day so I'm sure they can just as easy take it off. The extra money is always better in your pocket than someone else's.
Like Paul says, ask if you can get any further discount for switching away from a part-ex, its a little cheeky but you don't get if you don't ask.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 13:48   #4
xtratime

Waiting on mine coming at the end of the month now also. Have just sold my A5 (albeit a little prematurely as I thought it would be here end of next week) on another online site (Mway)for 15% more than WBAC was offering. Due to the car being almost 8 years old, the dealer wasn't really interested in it.
xtratime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xtratime For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 14:27   #5
familymangreg
Premier Member

I can't see any issue. I did a deal on my previous MY17 XC90 based on an X5 trade in. I then sold the X5 privately for approx. 2k more than the trade in offer and dealer wasn't bothered at all.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 14:46   #6
MK09

Same here - agreed the deal on my XC90 based on trading in a BMW 520. Subsequently tried Motorway and got over £2k more for my BMW than the trade-in offer, so sold the car to them and funded the deposit on the XC90 in cash. No issues from the Volvo dealer in me doing that.

I’m the meantime the Volvo deposit contribution also improved by £1,000 leaving me £3k better off than I’d expected when I initially agreed the deal.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 15:18   #7
Amatt

Thanks all, really helpful.

I've never bought a new car before so new to the whole process. Will certainly check motorway.co.uk and confirm values once I get confirmation of new car delivery date.

Cheers all!
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 19:05   #8
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Beware of webuyanycar. The price you will be given when you turn up will be less than the qoute you have on line.
'Depends on the price on the day and condition Sir' is the oft heard phrase.
Then you dont get the money for at least 4 or 5 days. You are expected to handover your car on the promise that a cheque will be issued within x days.

I have used motorway several times. Always got the price qouted, bank e-transfer before they take the car. Happy days.

The dealer will be pleased if you have moved your car on, saves them taking the risk of being able to sell it for a profit.
The Following User Says Thank You to ovlov04v For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 19:54   #9
TeamG
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov04v View Post
Beware of webuyanycar. The price you will be given when you turn up will be less than the qoute you have on line.
'Depends on the price on the day and condition Sir' is the oft heard phrase.
Then you dont get the money for at least 4 or 5 days. You are expected to handover your car on the promise that a cheque will be issued within x days.

I have used motorway several times. Always got the price qouted, bank e-transfer before they take the car. Happy days.

The dealer will be pleased if you have moved your car on, saves them taking the risk of being able to sell it for a profit.
+1 for this. I sold two cars to WBAC last month and both were immaculate without a single mark. One got the price offered, the other £35 less than the initial offer as the MOT had less than 6 months to run (which to be fair they mention in their T&C). I got what I paid main dealer for one car and £2.5k more than dealer cost for the other. First car paid in 5 days, the other I had to chase and chase as they cocked up the photos when they took possession, then couldn’t read the VIN number on one photo and had to chase the car auction to re-photo the VIN. All the while they had my car and refused to part with the cash, which was an almighty ball-ache. I came out good in the end, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend them.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 20:26   #10
Amatt

I've heard others say the same about WBAC. I tried motorway and they've suggested more than WBAC. Think I'll try them when the time comes - hopefully soon and not with further delays...
The Following User Says Thank You to Amatt For This Useful Post: