Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 740GL Estate Auto + O/D

Views : 1379

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 13:58   #1
miklamming

Default 1989 740GL Estate Auto + O/D

I have had "Big Red" since new. It's done about 160K miles. Obviously I'd like it to go to a good home. Attached is a picture of it during a long trip from Cambridge to Caernarfon and back.
PXL_20210813_162425811.jpg

Minimal body-rash. No dings. It's had all the regular services and then some. I get around 25-29mpg. I love this car and honestly kept on top of it.

In the last few months I have had folks stop me and ask if I would sell it, and frankly I thought they were joking because it's so old, and I had no idea anyone but me liked them. But now I wish I had their names, because I am leaving the country at year's end, otherwise I'd just keep it chugging along. I have some spare trim and other parts.

Does anyone have any advice about the most straightfoward way to sell it please? I just don't have the time, or patience for games. Looking online I see similar vehicles with 5-6K price tags, but maybe that's unrealistic?

Last edited by miklamming; Oct 11th, 2021 at 14:29.
miklamming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miklamming For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 14:44   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Unless a car is very, very good and exactly what one is looking for, prices like that are probably optimistic, 'miklamming'. But you only need one, and it is often rightly said that any car is worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.

Although I now have a V70, I also have a considerable fondness for RWD cars, especially the 7 series. My wife took one to over 250 thousand miles, and we had our GLE estate for over 18 years before it failed the MOT on advanced corrosion ( it was 29 years old).

Having said that, and from what you say, realistically, I think yours is a £2-£3k car. Three, if you are not in a hurry and prepared to wait for the right buyer; two, if you are desirous for a quick sale. All things being equal, if I was looking, I'd consider £2,500 a fair price, and would probably snap your hand off at two.

You could obviously promote the car on this forum, but as most members will already have a car (or cars) you may not always find a buyer this way. However you decide to proceed I wish you good fortune with the sale - it will clearly be a wrench for you.

Regards, John.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 15:00   #3
miklamming

Thanks John. That's a very useful, constructive response. As you are clearly knowledgable may I ask a couple of Qs please?

In your opinion is there a better place to post, than here.
What minimal information beyond my outline specification is missing? I assume any interested party would ask specific questions, and ultimately come crawl all over it. I want to be forthcoming, but not waste a lot of time.

Thx again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miklamming For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 18:58   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'd say this forum is the best place to advertise, I sell most of my parts and I've sold a couple of cars through this forum with very little hassle.

The people on here who are looking for cars to buy are more often than not enthusiasts, if you advertise elsewhere you end up with time wasters galore, especially ebay and Facebook marketplace, the latter also being full of D heads that want everything for nothing and scrap men assuming all old Volvos have a £300 catalytic converter bolted to it even the ones clearly to early to have a cat!

The best way to advertise it would be to give it a proper wash, clean the inside and take photos inside and out, also take photos of the sills and jacking points and the tyres. Then write out what work has been carried out in the last few years, service history, cambelt change etc.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 19:33   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklamming View Post
Thanks John. That's a very useful, constructive response. As you are clearly knowledgable may I ask a couple of Qs please?

In your opinion is there a better place to post, than here.
What minimal information beyond my outline specification is missing? I assume any interested party would ask specific questions, and ultimately come crawl all over it. I want to be forthcoming, but not waste a lot of time.

Thx again.
You're welcome. I really don't think that I can improve much on '360beast's advice above, other than to perhaps suggest that a fresh MOT is never a bad idea. It inspires confidence in prospective purchasers and is 50 quid or so well spent.

Essentially, describe the car honestly and present it in the best possible light - just as you would hope to find one if looking to buy. Being one owner and having full history are clearly in your car's favour, and the mileage will not be against it - well looked after, these cars can be good for 300K+ miles before needing much attention beyond routine servicing.

Regards, John.
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 19:48   #6
PastelCo

Not sure how good of a comparison this would be but I bought a near enough identical 740 (even the same mileage!) about 2 years ago for £1,400. Only differences being that it was a manual and had a couple of regular 740 issues (paint fade on the bonnet, oil leak, no fuel gauge and rust under the battery). I'd imagine yours might go for about 2 grand nowadays. but you never know, people can pay silly amounts of money for a tidy 700.
PastelCo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PastelCo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 23:09   #7
volvo always
Premier Member

It looks a nice car. I have fond memories with a 1986 740 GLE from 2002. My only complaint was the carb. B230K.

Yours I presume is the great B230E as used in my old 1989 240GLT auto estate. A nice engine/gearbox that works well together.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 16:29   #8
miklamming

I don't know enough to know precisely what exact type my 740 is. It's just back from a longish drive, and a bit mucky, but I snapped some pics.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/enJ5qjLYuY41KR8x5
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 16:35   #9
miklamming

Well if I wasn't leaving the UK, I would certainly keep it and test the theory that it will do 300K with no trouble. I occasionaly see similar age 740 estates, but I have never seen one that looks beter - but on the other hand I have not been to a Volvo owners event, where I bet there are some real beauties.
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 17:09   #10
griston64
Premier Member

I've just bought this one which is similar spec to yours but it's the B200F engine.

One owner for last 30 years and kept in an underground garage. Only 70k miles

griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:

Tags
740 gl auto