Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GL odometer - no gear/cog - and dash led lighting

Views : 411

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2021, 13:34   #1
JMallows

Default 240 GL odometer - no gear/cog - and dash led lighting

Hi all, recently acquired an 88 240 estate 2.0l, owned by same owner since 1991. I'll start another thread soon to put some pictures up, but enjoying it so far!

I've know that the odo needs a new gear for about ten years - we just didnt get round to fixing it... Anyway, when i knew i was getting the car, instead of just ordering the parts to fix, i thought it would be best to count the number of teeth first, just to make sure i get the right cogs... I realise now that there was only one type it would have been so should have just ordered the parts...

So, i've taken the old cog out, and removed the one broken tooth from inside the mechanism, and counted the teeth, ordered the new cogs. Basically the question is, can i drive the car with the old cog missing from the speedo, or will it all fall apart with out the broken cog to hold the other parts in place!?

Secondly, was thinking about changing the dash lights for led versions. Is this ok, i'm not fully up to speed on the bulb failure warning system, will a low load/current draw led fool the warning system, and cause me problems, or can i change all the bulbs ok?

Thanks very much!

p.s anyone near Aberystwyth?
JMallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 17:11   #2
BrianH
VOC Member

Default Speedo cogs

I've replaced these several times over 30 years.

They are standard replacement, don't need to count these teeth. However, if you replace the rear axel, mine lasted to 550k miles, you will have establish is it a 24 rear axial pulse, 48 pulse or a 96 pulse. I found one at 48, mine was 24!

Had to have the speedo modified with electronics to read the 48. It came with a variable adjustable control to get the speedo to read right. According to the satnav its spot on at 50, but wonders at 70mph by minus 2.

BrianH 800k 1989 245 GL LPG
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 20:57   #3
JMallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I've replaced these several times over 30 years.

They are standard replacement, don't need to count these teeth. However, if you replace the rear axel, mine lasted to 550k miles, you will have establish is it a 24 rear axial pulse, 48 pulse or a 96 pulse. I found one at 48, mine was 24!

Had to have the speedo modified with electronics to read the 48. It came with a variable adjustable control to get the speedo to read right. According to the satnav its spot on at 50, but wonders at 70mph by minus 2.

BrianH 800k 1989 245 GL LPG
Thanks for the info
JMallows is offline   Reply With Quote