Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Depreciation…what depreciation?

Views : 3508

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2021, 11:34   #11
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Just done an insurance renewal. The Meerkat is valuing my old bus at 800 sheets more than it did last year.

Of course, the downside for sellers is their next car is going to cost them even more, so its not a free lunch.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 12:48   #12
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Just done an insurance renewal. The Meerkat is valuing my old bus at 800 sheets more than it did last year.

Of course, the downside for sellers is their next car is going to cost them even more, so its not a free lunch.
If you can actually find one. I'm quietly laughing because for the last few years I've hated this move towards cars full of screens and "gesture' control. Now those chickens are coming home to roost.

"New car sir? Would you like chips with that?"
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 01:57   #13
Org

I've been looking on and off for a new to me car for while, my budget is around £4000 to £5000 with a £500 contingency fund for servicing, I've been looking at private sales and dealers the thing I have noticed is prices have been unrealistic high for a lot of cars mainly at dealers, private sellers are fairer and open to a little negotiation but deals are not.
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 03:26   #14
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
If you can actually find one. I'm quietly laughing because for the last few years I've hated this move towards cars full of screens and "gesture' control. Now those chickens are coming home to roost.
This is an interesting comment ... because I've never driven anything with gesture controls admittedly, but I've not experienced problems with touchscreen controls since the early ones (had to return a rental Primera in drizzly 2001 November Dublin because the touchscreen was munted & without aircon on the windscreen you couldn't see out of the thing!).

Are you seeing things being taken off the road early due to electronogimical gremlins? 'Cos I'm not seeing that at all, newer stuff seems to last as what I'd previously thought might have been the peak of reliability - mid-90's 4cyl small to mid Toyotas. But then I might not be paying as much attention either; and weather/climate might be having an effect there too (eg. I doubt the aforementioned mid 90's Toyotas are still infesting the roads where it snows ... and water-leaks caused by poor build quality made a bit of a mess of the electricals in a mate's leased '06 Focus, which might be made worse somewhere that's more drizzly & more humid).

Last edited by Forg; Oct 6th, 2021 at 03:35.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 06:07   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Mmm, those of us who run older Volvos have long been aware of that, 'W.S'.

While 'Forg' makes a very valid point, my own costs pale into insignificance compared with those of a friend who dropped £15k *(in depreciation alone)* on a three year old Solihull product over a further three year period. *(Her running costs were also much more than mine - she spent over £1000 on tyres alone!)*

I am more than content with the comfort, reliability and safety of my 21 year old V70, which I bought five years ago for £550!

Regards, John.
Some of our old Volvos might even appreciate a little bit John!

There is a downside to 40 year old cars: fuel consumption is poor by today's standards, but then the tax is free, there is no MoT and the insurance is cheap (as long as one can live with the restrictions and conditions).

Alan
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 06:21   #16
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Hmmm, I do wonder though, how are discounts going on new cars at the moment? I assume they don't exist, and the standard of negotiating at least 10% off the new price is currently not a Thing? So the new vehicle is costing effectively ~10% more than it's recommended retail price would indicate.
I'm not in the market for a new car at the moment, but I have just checked the 'Drive the Deal' website and (mostly German) cars are still available at a 10% discount; these tend to be cars that are already with the dealers and so available immediately but with no further choice of specification. A few months ago those discounts would have been larger: sometimes 20% or so.

I rather suspect this increase in prices is a manifestation of quantitative easing - something most developed nations have used for the past 14 years. There is a lot more money in circulation (everywhere, this isn't pointed at the UK or Australia) than there was 15 years ago, and it is chasing less goods (due to the pandemic, amongst other things). As always, that imbalance between supply and demand always leads to inflation in the end.

The developed world, having had 15 years of near zero inflation and correspondingly low interest rates, is probably in for a dose of inflation. This won't matter all that much to nations if it happens fairly uniformly (so everyone's fiat currency becomes less valuable at about the same rate), but it may well be disastrous for individuals with large mortgages or loans.

We have been here previously, the world won't end, but it might be a bit painful for some people.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 6th, 2021 at 06:22. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 09:01   #17
XCeed

Quote:
…I'm quietly laughing because for the last few years I've hated this move towards cars full of screens and "gesture' control.
Like Forg, I find this an interesting comment, which, to be honest, I find difficult to understand. I have never had a problem with modern car displays and find the new driver-aid technology (you will call them toys!) fantastic. True, you can do without the aids but I don’t see how anyone can “hate” stuff that helps you and makes driving easier and safer…
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 15:28   #18
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
Like Forg, I find this an interesting comment, which, to be honest, I find difficult to understand. I have never had a problem with modern car displays and find the new driver-aid technology (you will call them toys!) fantastic. True, you can do without the aids but I don’t see how anyone can “hate” stuff that helps you and makes driving easier and safer…
First off, new cars are generally fantastic. But, start filling them with every conceivable size of screen and display to control even basic functions ( like heating) and you're asking for trouble. Any function that requires you to take your eyes off the road and stare at a screen while you find the menu you need is inherently dangerous.

Furthermore filling cars full of high tech wizardry if fine until, as now, you can't buy chips for love nor money.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 16:14   #19
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:

"New car sir? Would you like chips with that?"
And what do you drive? It doesn't seem to be a Volvo.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 17:35   #20
XCeed

Quote:
…Any function that requires you to take your eyes off the road and stare at a screen while you find the menu you need is inherently dangerous.

Furthermore filling cars full of high tech wizardry if fine until, as now, you can't buy chips for love nor money.
Keep up Whippy! That’s why Volvo let you control everything from heat to radio to nav by VOICE!