Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 siren

Views : 1366

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:10   #1
Shanusascarabus

Default Xc90 siren

So my father in law has bought yet another money pit car so I'm trying to help him out and save costs.
The garage has told him his siren needs replacing, it works but not as it should.. when you lock the car the alarm just constantly goes off so the fuse just needs pulling.
After a very brief search I have discovered that the sirens batteries may just be flat, can these be replaced or sent away to be done, or is it quite literally a case of a new siren.
Many second ones out there but who's to say the batteries are ok in them.
As always any views and ideas are very much welcome
Shanusascarabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:29   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanusascarabus View Post
So my father in law has bought yet another money pit car so I'm trying to help him out and save costs.
The garage has told him his siren needs replacing, it works but not as it should.. when you lock the car the alarm just constantly goes off so the fuse just needs pulling.
After a very brief search I have discovered that the sirens batteries may just be flat, can these be replaced or sent away to be done, or is it quite literally a case of a new siren.
Many second ones out there but who's to say the batteries are ok in them.
As always any views and ideas are very much welcome
what do the fault codes and last 10 alarm causes say when read out ?

always best to buy the complete siren assembly IF it is faulty ...

What makes you think it is faulty?
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:59   #3
Shanusascarabus

Thanks for the quick reply Clan,

I have no idea what the last ten causes are as the fuse is currently pulled, all I can tell you is as soon as the fuse is put in the alarm starts to go off when the door lock button is pressed... is there an easy way to see the causes ?
The garage that told him this is not a dealership or an Indy, just a backstreet garage that looked into dash board light issues he had ( basically poor contacts )
This is mainly the reason I am here, to make sure that the siren is at fault and best way of replace/repair.
I tried the search function on here but for some reason it does not work on my phone
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 11:23   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Clan,

I have no idea what the last ten causes are as the fuse is currently pulled, all I can tell you is as soon as the fuse is put in the alarm starts to go off when the door lock button is pressed... is there an easy way to see the causes ?
The garage that told him this is not a dealership or an Indy, just a backstreet garage that looked into dash board light issues he had ( basically poor contacts )
This is mainly the reason I am here, to make sure that the siren is at fault and best way of replace/repair.
I tried the search function on here but for some reason it does not work on my phone
The car needs the codes reading, it stores the last 10 alarm causes to be read out , you need a garage who knows what they are doing .. to diagnose the actual fault , rather than guess which will cost you more than taking it to a dealer ...
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 12:26   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Ae he ^^ said you need to get the car plugged in to some Volvo diagnostic gear at a dealer or Indie. That does mean a small investment upfront but in all likelihood it will tell you exactly what the problem is, and how to fix it.

Volvo's have very good electronics with aircraft like levels of security and resilience, this works to the owners advantage whether the car is 1 or 15 years old. As you would expect - you cannot overcome the security systems by simply pulling a fuse.

The battery failing in the alarm siren is a common issue on older cars but it manifests as an "alarm service required" message on the dashboard, it does not cause the alarm to trigger.

Getting the codes read will save you a lot of time, any car will become a money pit if random poke and hope diagnosis is applied. I don't mean to sound unfriendly, but we see lots of new members with cars that are far harder to sort out that needs be because of previous owners or their mechanics trying to overcome symptoms rather than get to the root cause of the issue.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 13:23   #6
Tineca

I use the icarsoft handheld code reader. I always buy Volvo's so it's been a good investment. Will help find out what is going on. Probably only the same cost as a couple of diagnosis sessions at a garage.
Tineca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tineca For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 15:45   #7
Shanusascarabus

Again thanks for the replies, I dont take any replies as unfriendly or a dig.... in fact I myself know it's quite vague as it's not my car.... I'm just the one he comes to because I have a tool set and service my own cars.
I appreciate all replies and i think i already said the reason for asking on the forum is I'd like opinions rather than him throw parts/ money at it.
The alarm service comment rings a bell so I will try and find out more info, the cars now 16 years old just for the record
Thanks for all replies once again
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 11:31   #8
Shanusascarabus

Just to confirm the Alarm service light is on on his car, so I'm kinda guessing with it being 17 years old the siren could be either the fault or part of the issue ?
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 12:11   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Just to confirm the Alarm service light is on on his car, so I'm kinda guessing with it being 17 years old the siren could be either the fault or part of the issue ?
guessing can cost you a lot of money on a modern car 👍
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 17:25   #10
eddy3987

Volvo quoted me nearly £200 for a new siren
eddy3987 is offline   Reply With Quote