Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre size range for Sunburst Alloys

Views : 920

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2021, 17:42   #1
Mark1Stu

Default Tyre size range for Sunburst Alloys

Ive a set of Sunburst alloy rims I’m thinking of fitting to my ‘89 Volvo saloon - which is currently fitted with 175/70/R14. tyres.

I’d ideally like to keep to 70 profile, but would be interested to know what tyre size was originally fitted to these alloys…and what width I can reasonably extend to (185-195?) without any modification to the bodywork.

Many thanks.
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:01   #2
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

With those tyres your car is seriously under-geared, so acceleration will be better but fuel economy and engine noise worse as the car will be pulling more revs for any given road speed: they equate to a 155/80/14 and not a 175/80/14 which is what a 240 saloon should have. The estates usually ran 185/80/14s

You could fit 195/70s if you really want lower-profile tyres; the 15" on the GLT's Virgo alloys ran 195/65 rubber so there probably wouldn't be an issue with the 195/70/14.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 11:01   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
With those tyres your car is seriously under-geared, so acceleration will be better but fuel economy and engine noise worse as the car will be pulling more revs for any given road speed: they equate to a 155/80/14 and not a 175/80/14 which is what a 240 saloon should have. The estates usually ran 185/80/14s

You could fit 195/70s if you really want lower-profile tyres; the 15" on the GLT's Virgo alloys ran 195/65 rubber so there probably wouldn't be an issue with the 195/70/14.
What marvellous knowledge again Alf, and what good advice.

I run the RB with 195/65R15 tyres (on both the Virgo and Pholus wheels) and that is a very good solution - they don't look too low profile but give good grip without being too noisy.

As you suggest, 195/70R14 tyres would probably be a good solution and give about the same rolling diameter with no clearance issues on the OP's motor car.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 26th, 2021 at 11:04. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 12:32   #4
Mark1Stu

Thanks Loki. Btw, I used to own a ‘71 FD Victor 2000SL. Loved that car. So much torque from the slant 4. It’s was fitted from new with a 3 speed column change (still an option - probably elderly original owner). Tyres were original Michelin X. They were very old and would screech like those on a ‘70s American cop show going around a corner above 30 miles an hour. Needed changing of course, but they hadn’t cracked and were so much fun!

Back to my 240. I suddenly had a brain waive to dig out the ‘89 handbook (normally my cars are so original I can simply look at what the car is currently fitted with). Anyhow, the handbook lists the following for a saloon:

175 R14
185/70 R14
195/60 R15

My car is currently fitted with Volvo turbine wheels (as I call them - as fitted to GT export models and GLEs for a time in the UK) and wearing 175/70 R14 as I mentioned.
Will need to decide whether to change over to the Sunbursts I have or stick with the turbine wheels with new tyres.

Thanks for the help. It kick started further investigation on my part.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 13:23   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1Stu View Post
Thanks Loki. Btw, I used to own a ‘71 FD Victor 2000SL. Loved that car. So much torque from the slant 4. It’s was fitted from new with a 3 speed column change (still an option - probably elderly original owner). Tyres were original Michelin X. They were very old and would screech like those on a ‘70s American cop show going around a corner above 30 miles an hour. Needed changing of course, but they hadn’t cracked and were so much fun!

Back to my 240. I suddenly had a brain waive to dig out the ‘89 handbook (normally my cars are so original I can simply look at what the car is currently fitted with). Anyhow, the handbook lists the following for a saloon:

175 R14
185/70 R14
195/60 R15

My car is currently fitted with Volvo turbine wheels (as I call them - as fitted to GT export models and GLEs for a time in the UK) and wearing 175/70 R14 as I mentioned.
Will need to decide whether to change over to the Sunbursts I have or stick with the turbine wheels with new tyres.

Thanks for the help. It kick started further investigation on my part.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 21:00   #6
Mark1Stu

Many thanks Othen. Very useful as the picture appears to cover all the models/wheel types.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark1Stu For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 09:42   #7
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I have an Owner's Handbook for the early, i.e. first year's production run, 242/244/245 (printed in August 1975) that quotes 165 R 14 for the 242 and 244 Luxe, 175 R 14 for the de Luxe saloons and 185/70 R 14 for the Grand Luxe saloons; the 245 Luxe and de Luxe get 185 R 14s.
Presumably the de Luxe is the later 24xDL and the Grand Lux (why no "e" on the end of Grand?) metamorphosed into the 24xGL? And, given the relatively low specification of the DL, what spec was the L/Luxe - vinyl upholstery perhaps?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 12:38   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Grand Lux (why no "e" on the end of Grand?)
Presumably because lux is masculine, whereas luxe is feminine?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2021, 13:27   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

70 series tyres are hard to find and proper ones are expensive. Don't be tempted by van tyres.
If the Sunbursts are 15" 195/65 is a good suggestion.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2021, 16:48   #10
Mark1Stu

Thanks Derek.