Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 240 suspension/engine advice

Views : 3239

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 15:34   #11
Ollly244dl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishScotsman View Post
Agreed. 2.3 red block is the way to go rather than trying to tart up existing

As it so happens I have a running 2.3 engine and manual gearbox for sale. £500 if it’s of use to you/ anyone. Engine is low mileage (only 130k) having had Volvo genuine timing belt/ tensioners done at 120k.

Have a video showing it running v good condition.
Thanks for this.

Sadly going to take a bit of saving before buying one is on the cards.

Are they reasonably common to come across?
Ollly244dl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ollly244dl For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 17:08   #12
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollly244dl View Post
Great thanks for this.

Yeah the engine in it only has 51k on it and no drivetrain noise, haven't got the car with me at uni so haven't had the chance to go over properly yet.

Turbo was the route I was looking to go down (building the motor separately on the side) . Ideally looking for 200-250bhp range with still a decent sense of reliability.

What is the best way to achieve this with still a bit of simplicity and not completely break the bank?
Here are a couple of threads that may be of interest:

I wrote this overview guide on how to turbo a 240 in the UK

Here is my turbo 240 project thread

Swapping to a turbo engine from a 940 is a simple and reliable engine swap and with a few modifications (bigger turbo, decent intercooler etc.) it will happily and reliably produce 200-250bhp.

Beware though, there isn't really a cheap way carrying out the swap - the cheapest way is to buy a complete 940 turbo car and break it, allowing you to recoup some or all of the costs, but that requires the space and time to do so. The alternative is buying a loose engine from someone but that will cost more. After the swap fuel costs and the cost of insurance will go up.

I'm not trying to put you off, just making sure you're aware of the costs involved. I priced up a swap for someone recently and we reckoned you could manage it for about a grand, but that's an approximate figure and would go down a bit if you break a 940 to recover some costs, you can weld and fabricate so you could make bits like the exhaust downpipe instead of buying them etc. etc.

Since you've just got the car one obvious approach would be to get it running well as it is, lower it, and then drive it a bit to make sure you like it before jumping into the swap.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 17:52   #13
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for this.

Sadly going to take a bit of saving before buying one is on the cards.

Are they reasonably common to come across?
To be very candid Olly, you are not going to get many suspension and engine upgrades done if you budget is under £500.

Bugjam's advice is good: it would be a good idea to get the motor car running properly with its standard set up. Something else to beware of is that your motor car will be an appreciating classic in its original state, it is already an historic vehicle, which will only enhance its value. If you change the engine for a 2.3 litre, add FI, turbocharge it or lower the suspension you will certainly reduce its value. We have seen one or two warmed up 244s sell for a bit less than they might have made as standard motor cars recently.

It is up to you what you do with your motor car of course, but just be aware modifications will detract from its value (although that may not be important to you).

Good fortune with your project - publish some words and pictures for us to see as you progress - we like hearing about old Volvos :-)

Alan

PS. It might be worth having a look at this bit of a thread before ypou decide what you are going to do with your project Olly:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=929

... it is discussion we had a few weeks ago about a similar car to yours (and mine) that had been warmed up a bit: FI, lowered suspension and some very flash (and I thought inappropriate) wheels. From memory the owner had spent £6,000 on the modifications, plus the purchase price of the motor car, but it only made about £5,400 at auction. We concluded that 244s generally top out at about £6,000, and that there isn't much point warming up a DL model - it would be more sensible to buy a GLT in the first place.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 23rd, 2021 at 18:36. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 19:05   #14
Ollly244dl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
To be very candid Olly, you are not going to get many suspension and engine upgrades done if you budget is under £500.

Bugjam's advice is good: it would be a good idea to get the motor car running properly with its standard set up. Something else to beware of is that your motor car will be an appreciating classic in its original state, it is already an historic vehicle, which will only enhance its value. If you change the engine for a 2.3 litre, add FI, turbocharge it or lower the suspension you will certainly reduce its value. We have seen one or two warmed up 244s sell for a bit less than they might have made as standard motor cars recently.

It is up to you what you do with your motor car of course, but just be aware modifications will detract from its value (although that may not be important to you).

Good fortune with your project - publish some words and pictures for us to see as you progress - we like hearing about old Volvos :-)

Alan

PS. It might be worth having a look at this bit of a thread before ypou decide what you are going to do with your project Olly:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=929

... it is discussion we had a few weeks ago about a similar car to yours (and mine) that had been warmed up a bit: FI, lowered suspension and some very flash (and I thought inappropriate) wheels. From memory the owner had spent £6,000 on the modifications, plus the purchase price of the motor car, but it only made about £5,400 at auction. We concluded that 244s generally top out at about £6,000, and that there isn't much point warming up a DL model - it would be more sensible to buy a GLT in the first place.

Thanks my plan for the time being would be just to lower and get to know car a bit. Seen some chat about cut springs and saving the money for coilovers in future. But heard mixed reviews.

I got the car at a decent price so not overly concerned about depreciation. However I do still want to keep a fairly original look and keep parts. I want to wait till I have the money to do it right so swap will be future project.
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 19:16   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks my plan for the time being would be just to lower and get to know car a bit. Seen some chat about cut springs and saving the money for coilovers in future. But heard mixed reviews.

I got the car at a decent price so not overly concerned about depreciation. However I do still want to keep a fairly original look and keep parts. I want to wait till I have the money to do it right so swap will be future project.
No one here is going to say you are wrong about your project Olly, we are a pretty friendly and helpful bunch. If you need advice then there will almost always be someone that has come across the problem previously and will help.

I don't know anything about lowering cars, but I don't think it would be safe to cut springs - I think you would have to get a proper lowering kit - but I'm pretty certain someone far more knowledgeable than I will advise.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 19:17   #16
Ollly244dl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Here are a couple of threads that may be of interest:

I wrote this overview guide on how to turbo a 240 in the UK

Here is my turbo 240 project thread

Swapping to a turbo engine from a 940 is a simple and reliable engine swap and with a few modifications (bigger turbo, decent intercooler etc.) it will happily and reliably produce 200-250bhp.

Beware though, there isn't really a cheap way carrying out the swap - the cheapest way is to buy a complete 940 turbo car and break it, allowing you to recoup some or all of the costs, but that requires the space and time to do so. The alternative is buying a loose engine from someone but that will cost more. After the swap fuel costs and the cost of insurance will go up.

I'm not trying to put you off, just making sure you're aware of the costs involved. I priced up a swap for someone recently and we reckoned you could manage it for about a grand, but that's an approximate figure and would go down a bit if you break a 940 to recover some costs, you can weld and fabricate so you could make bits like the exhaust downpipe instead of buying them etc. etc.

Since you've just got the car one obvious approach would be to get it running well as it is, lower it, and then drive it a bit to make sure you like it before jumping into the swap.

Cheers
Cheers for this, very helpful.

Sadly I dont have the space for a doner car but wouldn't be looking to start until a year or so down the line.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 02:14   #17
DW42

I think there's good advice on this thread about what happens to the value of a 240 if you modify it...

One option might be to fix it up as it is and try to get as much as you can for it as a factory spec car. You would then be a some way towards the purchase price of something actually designed to go fast and handle well in the first place. If you like boxy saloons, perhaps a skyline or similar. The early '80s ones are the coolest of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skyline 82.JPG (50.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline 1.JPG (39.5 KB, 3 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 02:21   #18
Ollly244dl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW42 View Post
I think there's good advice on this thread about what happens to the value of a 240 if you modify it...

One option might be to fix it up as it is and try to get as much as you can for it as a factory spec car. You would then be a some way towards the purchase price of something actually designed to go fast and handle well in the first place. If you like boxy saloons, perhaps a skyline or similar. The early '80s ones are the coolest of them.
Yeah that was the idea a couple years ago. But I live in London so the age of the Volvo classes it as a classic and I can continue to drive a petrol car in ULEZ .
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 07:03   #19
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yeah that was the idea a couple years ago. But I live in London so the age of the Volvo classes it as a classic and I can continue to drive a petrol car in ULEZ .

DW42's advice is really good, if you want a faster car then there are any number that will be much better than you could make a 244 DL, however much you spend on it.

This bit is not criticising your plan Olly: you live in London and I think you said you are a student (and you inferred you are on a very limited budget). In that case I cannot imagine why you would want to spend as much as the value of the motor car lowering and warming it up to then drive it in the ULEZ at 6 MPH.

I'm not judging your project, it is entirely up to you what you do with your 1980 244 DL.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 24th, 2021 at 07:12. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 14:32   #20
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

A 240 does not need a lot doing to it for it to handle well and go fast.
Not that you can make much use of it in London
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: