Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 2.4 automatic looking for new home by 08 Oct 2021

Views : 1351

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2021, 20:06   #1
andrewmason

Default S80 2.4 automatic looking for new home by 08 Oct 2021

First post on VOC. Hopefully this is a good place to put it. Please advise if not.

I have an elderly neighbour who has automatic S80 2.4, approx 136,000 miles with full Volvo service history.

The MOT is due 08 Oct 2021.

He is wondering whether it would of interest to anyone in the club?
He is just looking for it to go to a good home.

The car is in Portsmouth. More images on request.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo.jpg (161.2 KB, 69 views)
andrewmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewmason For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 20:15   #2
vickyg

I must admit I've not seen one that old in a long time. I loved my 2001 S80 until it died at 247K miles. I have often looked at others but they've all been too far gone or too many faults for me to consider taking on. Could you private message me with some more info?

EDIT: I've messaged you as I seem to recall as a new member this might not be an option

Last edited by vickyg; Sep 21st, 2021 at 20:18.
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2021, 21:29   #3
andrewmason

Vicky,
You are correct - I cannot reply to your pm!

How do you want to progress this? I can video call and a virtual tour.

He has had the car since it was 3 years old. He got it serviced and MOTed at the local Volvo dealer, they would come and pick it up and return it all done.

In recent years he would start it up and take it for a drive to keep all things working but this year he has let tax run out and SORN it. I believe the battery is now flat but I can recharge that.

I have not inspected the car and no idea what to look for. I just know that he is never going to drive it again and I said I'd help him find it a new home.

I will talk to him tomorrow - he won't be answering anyone this time of day!

rgds,
Andrew.
andrewmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 09:12   #4
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmason View Post
Vicky,
You are correct - I cannot reply to your pm!

How do you want to progress this? I can video call and a virtual tour.

He has had the car since it was 3 years old. He got it serviced and MOTed at the local Volvo dealer, they would come and pick it up and return it all done.

In recent years he would start it up and take it for a drive to keep all things working but this year he has let tax run out and SORN it. I believe the battery is now flat but I can recharge that.

I have not inspected the car and no idea what to look for. I just know that he is never going to drive it again and I said I'd help him find it a new home.

I will talk to him tomorrow - he won't be answering anyone this time of day!

rgds,
Andrew.
I will PM you again with email address
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 09:15   #5
vickyg

Someone on the group may correct me but I don't believe you can tax a car with less than 14 days left on the MOT? That could be a problem for anyone trying to take it away.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 11:28   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Although it only has a short MOT, the history looks reassuring. It would appear that all of the items that have been flagged over the years have also been addressed as they arose. Coupled with it's FVSH, that would give me sufficient confidence to have a look at the car if I was interested in purchasing it.

I run a similar age / mileage / spec V70, that I bought with a relatively short MOT as a 'trade' sale from a dealer five years ago for £550, with no major problems. Well serviced, these cars will reliably do twice the mileage that this one has before needing significant repairs. This would appear to be a generous offer that could be of interest to someone looking for reliable motoring at modest cost.

Good luck with the sale, Andrew, I hope the car finds a good home - you're obviously being a good friend to your neighbour.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Sep 22nd, 2021 at 11:35.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 23:18   #7
Joseph Martin
Master Member

No, you can tax the car as normal, even with one day remaining on the MoT. I know, as I have done it a fair few times.

I would love an S80, distance isn't often a problem (pre covid at least), however my car count is well into double figures now so I need to be sensible.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 15:20   #8
vickyg

Apparently not any more, they require 30 days remaining or you're stuck. Outrageous really.
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 15:34   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

You don't need to be taxed to take it for a booked in for an MOT but the car does need to be insured. A garage can collect a car for MOT using their own insurance. They can obviously return it if it passes or is safe to drive. That last scenario is down to them and I'm not sure of the letter of the law in that case. Insurance for collection would be down to the buyer in this case. The car sounds promising.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 17:34   #10
oilit
All the gear - no idea

Is this still available ?

Has it got leather? Auto/manual?
oilit is offline   Reply With Quote