Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 LED/Bulb upgrades?

Views : 4536

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2021, 15:15   #11
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Cabling wise, there was sufficient room in the units as there's very little bulky cabling with these LEDs. The CANBUS unit in the connector cable is accommodated easily in the housing.

I'm very happy with the lights in wet and rainy conditions. I've driven the length of the UK in all sorts of conditions and they are certainly an improvement over the original halogens or upgrade halogen bulbs.
Almost tempted to see how they will be with the replacement/upgraded projector units i have in mine (with the continental shutter)
the projector units themselves are a Major step up from the volvo ones With standard halogen bulbs, and having a friendly mot garage with the beam alignment checker its a ponder
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 21:39   #12
eagle58

Anyone got a suggestion for a full beam upgrade for a 2008 C70?

I bought a pair of H9 bulbs from Amazon that were totally the wrong fitment - the pins on the replacements were too close together for the plug.

It was a complete pain removing the bulb as well - who designs this stuff? I guess that's another story!

All the ones I can see have the close pins - is Volvo unique or have I missed something?
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 22:05   #13
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

The full beams on these cars I always found to be excellent, and not just because the dipped beams were poor.
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 22:11   #14
eagle58

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
The full beams on these cars I always found to be excellent, and not just because the dipped beams were poor.
So are you saying not to bother with an upgrade?

If so, I'd still like to know what bulb to have as a spare.

Thanks
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 23:51   #15
eagle58

I think I'm kind of answering my own question here but I believe the C70 2 main beam bulbs are not H9 as listed in the owners manual but are actually H3.

I've orered a pair from Amazon and should be here tomorrow - bloody fast delivery BTW!

Will report back.

These are what I ordered: OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER HB3 - £26 a pair.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 08:50   #16
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle58 View Post
Anyone got a suggestion for a full beam upgrade for a 2008 C70?

I bought a pair of H9 bulbs from Amazon that were totally the wrong fitment - the pins on the replacements were too close together for the plug.

It was a complete pain removing the bulb as well - who designs this stuff? I guess that's another story!

All the ones I can see have the close pins - is Volvo unique or have I missed something?
I opted for these for our 2009 V50. Very good. Install vertically with the LEDs pointing left and right <|>

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h8...ulbs-pair.html

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 20:31   #17
Tiggerbits

Quote:
Cabling wise, there was sufficient room in the units as there's very little bulky cabling with these LEDs. The CANBUS unit in the connector cable is accommodated easily in the housing.

I'm very happy with the lights in wet and rainy conditions. I've driven the length of the UK in all sorts of conditions and they are certainly an improvement over the original halogens or upgrade halogen bulbs.
Thanks for the response. Nice to know that you feel they are a improvement for the wet and rainy conditions.

Got a pair ordered. Once they arrive I'll clean up my projectors and then pop down the local garage and check adjustments.

I'll come back with my impressions once I've tried them for a short while
Tiggerbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 20:45   #18
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerbits View Post
I'll come back with my impressions once I've tried them for a short while
Fingers crossed you get the same improvement I got and are happy with them. Please don't shoot me if not. I'm certainly very happy with them.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 19:51   #19
eagle58

OK, I got my H3 bulbs and they fitted and work perfectly.

The owners manual is wrong listing the replacement full beam as H9 on a 2008 C70. I wonder why this should be?
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 10:19   #20
Tiggerbits

Quote:
Fingers crossed you get the same improvement I got and are happy with them. Please don't shoot me if not. I'm certainly very happy with them.
Only got them fitted yesterday evening, quick drive around a mix of dark fast roads and town streets and the difference is unbelievable.

Puts out a much brighter, whiter and clearer amount of light.

I need to clean the left projector as its a little bit foggy and then spend some time dialling in the alignment. Otherwise I am very please!
Tiggerbits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggerbits For This Useful Post: