Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 LED/Bulb upgrades?

Views : 4542

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 14:47   #1
Rocky2

Default C70 LED/Bulb upgrades?

Love the lights on the front of mine,but not impressed that much by there output.. Has anybody upgraded there’s and if yes any recommendations??
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 15:04   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky2 View Post
Love the lights on the front of mine,but not impressed that much by there output.. Has anybody upgraded there’s and if yes any recommendations??
a few
IF they are the Same lights as the C30/S40/V50
easy and cheap LEGAL upgrade - change the projectors

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239889
Start there

projector thread

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263340

LED bulbs - illegal , end of story
Retrofitting HID units - illegal end of story
so dont bother with either of those
*hid kits will also fubar other electrics under the bonnet unless £££ spent on additional items, pointless as illegal

you Wont NEED a "hid" kit if you are going from volvo halogen projectors to the halogen projectors from that thread,
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 15:08   #3
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

It is probably easier in the long run to just buy a new set of headlamps.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 22:40   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
It is probably easier in the long run to just buy a new set of headlamps.
as long as they dont have tarnished or burnt off reflectors in the projectors If second hand
New price V price of the replacement projectors sits Firmly in favour of the projectors
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 22:46   #5
eagle58

I bought these for my C70:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-577...1224146&sr=8-2

Haven't put them in yet yet but they are better supposedly.

Last edited by eagle58; Sep 9th, 2021 at 22:50.
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 03:35   #6
Willber G
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle58 View Post
I bought these for my C70:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-577...1224146&sr=8-2

Haven't put them in yet yet but they are better supposedly.
I got the WhiteVision. A definite improvement.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 11:42   #7
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky2 View Post
Cue the wrath of the masses but here I go....

On my previous S40 I changed the projector units for new coupled with Osram Nightbreaker Plus. It made a difference for sure.

On the facelift V50 I tried to access the appropriate bolts to remove the projectors and found it way harder so I went down the LED route. Yes, I know it's not legal but here's my experience.

I replaced the H7 halogen bulbs with ones specifically designed for Projector H7 housings link here.

The bulbs must be installed with the LEDs pointing downwards looking like this from the front ^

The bulbs come with no instructions which doesn't help but to install the mounting ring pulls off the H7 bulb and you mount that first to the projector. The LED bulb then pushes into the mounting ring at the rotation angle you choose. As mentioned the LEDs should point downwards.

I have switched the beam flattening lever usually used for driving abroad on both sides as all LED and Xenon systems I've encountered have a flat beam
___ ___
rather than the usual Halogen beam
\___ \___

There is no dazzling other drivers and the car passed an MOT without issue. The LEDs I bought were the only ones I could find that were both designed for projector units and compact enough to fit into the V50 lamp unit. The heat created seems to be low enough not to cause me concern and the built-in CANBUS error cancelling works well. The error cancelling developed a fault after 9 months but ABD happily swapped them under warranty.

Ultimately the V50 headlamps are now usable, probably better than the S40 with replacement projectors and upgrade halogen bulbs. They aren't quite as good as the OEM LED units on my previous 3 series but the huge advantage over any halogen solution is that I'm not replacing a bulb every 3-6 months. That's about all I used to get out of halogen bulbs given they were on all the time.

I resisted the lure of LEDs for a long time due to the legality issues and the poor quality of many earlier units. At £70 I've no regrets for solving the problem.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 13:39   #8
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post

On my previous S40 I changed the projector units for new coupled with Osram Nightbreaker Plus. It made a difference for sure.

On the facelift V50 I tried to access the appropriate bolts to remove the projectors and found it way harder so I went down the LED route. Yes, I know it's not legal but here's my experience.

I replaced the H7 halogen bulbs with ones specifically designed for Projector H7 housings link here.

The bulbs must be installed with the LEDs pointing downwards looking like this from the front ^

The bulbs come with no instructions which doesn't help but to install the mounting ring pulls off the H7 bulb and you mount that first to the projector. The LED bulb then pushes into the mounting ring at the rotation angle you choose. As mentioned the LEDs should point downwards.

I have switched the beam flattening lever usually used for driving abroad on both sides as all LED and Xenon systems I've encountered have a flat beam
___ ___
\___ \___

There is no dazzling other drivers and the car passed an MOT without issue. The LEDs I bought were the only ones I could find that were both designed for projector units and compact enough to fit into the V50 lamp unit. The heat created seems to be low enough not to cause me concern and the built-in CANBUS error cancelling works well. The error cancelling developed a fault after 9 months but ABD happily swapped them under warranty.

Ultimately the V50 headlamps are now usable, probably better than the S40 with replacement projectors and upgrade halogen bulbs. They aren't quite as good as the OEM LED units on my previous 3 series but the huge advantage over any halogen solution is that I'm not replacing a bulb every 3-6 months. That's about all I used to get out of halogen bulbs given they were on all the time.

I resisted the lure of LEDs for a long time due to the legality issues and the poor quality of many earlier units. At £70 I've no regrets for solving the problem.
*tips hat
one of the Very few to take the faff and steps needed to make sure your not blinding/dazzling oncoming traffic and install "new tech" in as close a manner as practical to "what the car came with"
£70 is a lot less than brand new lights from volvo and on a par with Decent 2nd hand units,

main reason i put the "end of story" is the Vast % that dont install things anywhere Near properly/correctly even With instructions (and pictures for the sun/daily wail readers, dont think of other users and "FU i can see"
there always IS an exception, thank you for being That one who gives a hoot about oncoming traffic and not wanting to be "normal noman" who doesnt give a flying
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 15:06   #9
Tiggerbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post

___ ___
\___ \___

Hey,

I think this has just answered a good few of my questions while looking for some LED bulbs.
As I do around 30k miles a year I am forever going through bulbs and want somehting bright and clear that will last.

Can I ask a couple questions before I buy a pair.
did you find them a tight fit with cabling in the headlight unit or was it not so bad?
And, how do they perform in wet/rainy conditions? I ask as I have had a few "white" bulbs that look nice from the front but do not aluminate anything!

Thanks
Tiggerbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 09:21   #10
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerbits View Post
Hey,
did you find them a tight fit with cabling in the headlight unit or was it not so bad?
And, how do they perform in wet/rainy conditions? I ask as I have had a few "white" bulbs that look nice from the front but do not aluminate anything!
Cabling wise, there was sufficient room in the units as there's very little bulky cabling with these LEDs. The CANBUS unit in the connector cable is accommodated easily in the housing.

I'm very happy with the lights in wet and rainy conditions. I've driven the length of the UK in all sorts of conditions and they are certainly an improvement over the original halogens or upgrade halogen bulbs.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post: