Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo Boost + PCV system

Views : 730

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2021, 00:16   #1
Tom Sawyer

Default Turbo Boost + PCV system

2001 S40 150k on the clock

Current issue:

I replaced the entire PCV system including all the hoses. The repair was done about 5 years and 20k miles ago. I have done / had done many other repairs.

One thing I failed to do was to ream out the port on the engine block where the Oil Trap attaches to the engine.
The car runs great, smooth, steady, without any issues, except: when I get home after spirited driving involving heavy acceleration with the turbo ... sometimes the oil dipstick will pop out and spew oil on top of the engine.

Questions:

#1 Is the above mentioned port connected to this square port ?
... see pic below, port is circled in red
This is not my engine - it is a 2000 S40 pic from

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...d9f334#p213257

#2 If the above port is clogged on my engine, could this be the source of my Dipstick blow-offs?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tom

Replaced in last 3-4 Years, for reference
** Oil Trap / PCV Box / Breather Box - all associated parts
** Timing Belt, Tensioner, Idler, VVT Gear, 3 Camshaft seals, 1 Crankshaft seal, 2 Hoses to Oil cooler, Serpentine Belt, Replaced new/oiley U-shaped PCV hose with original/better shape
** Fuel Pressure Regulator
** Flex pipe – welded new one on – now car is quiet !
** Both Engine Coils
** Ignition wiring harness – due to shutting off, sputtering, and start issues
** Blown Head gasket .. Mechanic pulled the head, sent it out to be cleaned, resurfaced the head, machined the valves and seats, adjusted valves, installed new valve seals, installed a thermostat kit, and threw in a new coil.
** Cost for above = $zero$ = long story
** Sway Bar Bushings, Steering Rack Boots
** Oil Cap Gasket
** Fuel Filter = solved many weird running issues
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (40.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Tom Sawyer; Aug 27th, 2021 at 02:28.
Tom Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 23:44   #2
NG2DP

Have a look at the document attached. See if it helps answer your questions. I managed to get some pictures for you.

If you are getting increased crankcase pressure (dipstick blowing out), it does seem to suggest that your piston blow-by gases are not escaping via the PCV system. Unfortunately investigating the oil trap itself is difficult without removing the intake manifold.

I guess you could check the cylinder head pipe to the PCV oil trap and the pipe to the turbo air intake from the oil trap by disconnecting them and blowing through them, although you say they are recently new, so they should be ok??

Hope this is of some help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCV Oil Trap Cylinder block ports.pdf (534.7 KB, 29 views)
NG2DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 19:19   #3
Tom Sawyer

Default Most Excellent Reply re PCV Turbo Dipstick Blowby

NG2DP,

Wow - many thanks for the picture and all your comments !

Considering this is a 20 year old baby and my around town car - I don't want to remove all the parts to get to the oil trap - or pay a mechanic.

Yes - I personally replaced the Oil Trap / PCV Box / Breather Box - all associated parts
... my handy work was checked by a 20+ year Volvo dealer mechanic and said everything was in good shape regarding the PCV "System". But - it was not an extensive test to include the high pressure from the turbo.

I can live with everything as is, but sure would love to keep the car until my grave.

I think my best money would be spent by removing the oil pan to check out the ports from there. And - if any clogs are found, try to dig out the clog with some type of tool. Hopefully taking the mess out of the ports rather than allowing it to fall back into the oil trap.

Meanwhile, I really appreciate your help - would certainly take you to lunch except for the travel distance.

Hope all is well with you and yours - Cheers,

Tom in North Carolina, USA
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 00:04   #4
Tom Sawyer

Update:
I am only driving the car 3-4,000 miles a year. Thankfully I live near a 70mph suggested speed limit highway. So hopefully the spirited driving is helping with the cleaning process.

Every time I change the oil the filter continues to collect small amounts of junk. So maybe the system is still cleaning itself.

Pics of used filters =
5/03/19
1/12/22
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil filter 050319.jpg (215.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Filter 011222.jpg (159.8 KB, 5 views)