Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modifying a Stromberg 175 Carb

Views : 2405

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2021, 08:53   #1
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Default Modifying a Stromberg 175 Carb

Has anyone done the SU mods to a Stromberg 175 as outlined by David Vizard in his book; "Tuning the A-Series Engine"? If so what were the results? I have a dyno session next Friday to see what my car is running at currently and would like to do the mods to measure the effects. Not much time to get them done though.
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 09:26   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

For those of us who haven't read the book, what mods are you talking about specifically? The Stromberg is a different animal to the SU in many ways although they work and perform in a similar way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 18:27   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Squaring off the internal casting post bridge, reducing butterfly shaft, knife edge butterfly, dome head butterfly screws and taper piston leading edge and back edge at full up position. Want to see if the additional flow will increase or hurt low to mid torque or just give a bit of extra high end HP. Not sure if there is a rich enough standard needle though so that might also need modifying, currently running one of the richest needles and that is just with a stub stack and K&N filter fitted which gave a good increase in flow.
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 18:53   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Squaring off the internal casting post bridge, reducing butterfly shaft, knife edge butterfly, dome head butterfly screws and taper piston leading edge and back edge at full up position. Want to see if the additional flow will increase or hurt low to mid torque or just give a bit of extra high end HP. Not sure if there is a rich enough standard needle though so that might also need modifying, currently running one of the richest needles and that is just with a stub stack and K&N filter fitted which gave a good increase in flow.
On an A-series with a relatively short inlet manifold that would help, not so sure you'd even notice the difference on something twice the size in terms of capacity and with a relatively larger inlet manifold.

What oil are you using in the damper?

Also if you want to really increase power/flow capability, have you considered an SU HS8?

Gut feeling says you'll lose driveability by modding your Stromberg that way but i've not tried it so can't be certain.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 19:47   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
On an A-series with a relatively short inlet manifold that would help, not so sure you'd even notice the difference on something twice the size in terms of capacity and with a relatively larger inlet manifold.

What oil are you using in the damper?

Also if you want to really increase power/flow capability, have you considered an SU HS8?

Gut feeling says you'll lose driveability by modding your Stromberg that way but i've not tried it so can't be certain.
80 90 gear oil, works a treat but will also try 75 80.

The mods to a SU6 will result in it flowing similar to a HS8.

The stromberg is a good cheap carb and personally think it is better than the HS SU carbs. Mine works really well. I just want to see if the extra flow will give increased performance and if I can get performance close to the B20B. Just having a play.
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 20:48   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
80 90 gear oil, works a treat but will also try 75 80.

The mods to a SU6 will result in it flowing similar to a HS8.

The stromberg is a good cheap carb and personally think it is better than the HS SU carbs. Mine works really well. I just want to see if the extra flow will give increased performance and if I can get performance close to the B20B. Just having a play.
I've always used Dexron II-D in Strombergs and SUs as well. Given that you're running a bit lean at the top end, 80W90 would work well too.

The limiting factor on an HS6 will always be the 1 3/4" diameter, the HS8 will give that vital extra 1/4" diameter or you could opt for twin carbs of a Weber 38DGV conversion which is in effect twin HS4s in terms of flow area but are easier to alter the jetting.

What other mods have you done to the engine?

Old Aug 20th, 2021, 21:03   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've always used Dexron II-D in Strombergs and SUs as well. Given that you're running a bit lean at the top end, 80W90 would work well too.

The limiting factor on an HS6 will always be the 1 3/4" diameter, the HS8 will give that vital extra 1/4" diameter or you could opt for twin carbs of a Weber 38DGV conversion which is in effect twin HS4s in terms of flow area but are easier to alter the jetting.

What other mods have you done to the engine?
Not looking to change the carb! I have the current Stromberg carb in the car setup really well and it goes very well. I’m just wanting to experiment with the strombergs and see if they are capable of more power/torque, just tinkering for my own education. I have a few spare strombergs. I’m just wanting to know if anyone else has done the mods or anything similar.
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 22:32   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Ah, i see - i misunderstood and thought the object of the exercise was more power.

Old Aug 30th, 2021, 13:57   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

On paper the Stromberg apparently has a higher flow rate but for performance it is usual to swap them out with SU's. Emissions was the main reason for the change to Stromberg's.
Knife edging etc is for top end and probably only measurable on a dyno. Having a set of short medium and long trumpets might confirm some ideas but needle selection probably the key issue. Are Stromberg needles readily available at a tuners? Filing is a black art and you never really know what you end up with. Dyno time is expensive unless it's being done on a friendly basis!
Don't forget to fiddle with the timing.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 14:13   #10
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
On paper the Stromberg apparently has a higher flow rate but for performance it is usual to swap them out with SU's. Emissions was the main reason for the change to Stromberg's.
Knife edging etc is for top end and probably only measurable on a dyno. Having a set of short medium and long trumpets might confirm some ideas but needle selection probably the key issue. Are Stromberg needles readily available at a tuners? Filing is a black art and you never really know what you end up with. Dyno time is expensive unless it's being done on a friendly basis!
Don't forget to fiddle with the timing.
Thanks Derek. The Stromberg has a smaller stepped area directly after the bridge so there is potential for extra flow but the casting is pretty thin.

I have a stub stack with a K&N filter fitted inside the original housing, it definitely flowed more and became too lean with the B1CC needle. I did a spreadsheet with all of the needles available and did a graph and showed three best choices with the best of those being the B1AN needle. It is one of the richest needles. I test ran it with my O2 wideband sensor and it was spot on. The dyno guy also said it was spot on, a little rich at max revs was all. The dyno came in at 90Hp (76.4hp at the wheels) so a pretty conservative conversion. That could be a increase of 8 or more Hp compared to stock so if correct a good result. The car goes lovely. Not sure when I will get round to modifying a carb, I would like to just see what difference it makes. There aren't many richer needles to chose from so won't be straight forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6EB3EEB7-1DE6-455C-A910-0FB72883725A.jpg (92.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Burdekin; Aug 30th, 2021 at 14:16.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post: