Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time to talk to the experts

Views : 25499

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 23:58   #11
Sotosound
Premier Member

A very late V70 D4 SE Lux Geartronic from 2016 would be a good option.

It has the later 8-speed automatic gearbox, and is as fast as most people will need.

It can do 137 mph and it is quiet and refined.

The D5 is only marginally faster, but it is a bit noisier and more expensive to tax and insure. For the D4, road tax is only £30.

Also you won't find a 2016 D5.

A 2016 D3 will be slower and possibly slightly less refined because the engine doesn't have balancer shafts to cancel out the opposing forces that a 4-cylinder engine produces.
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:08   #12
bogart
Master Member

Right opinions on this one.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...nr148jb&page=1

Would agree that second hand prices have have crept up due to lack of new vehicles appearing when that will get resolved who knows?

I only ended up with 4WD with the LR as there is no option. If conditions are that bad to require 4WD I will stay indoors with a bottle of something.
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:23   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Get used to high prices on late model cars, the main long term reason is the increase in cost of new cars due to needing to fund electric and hybrid versions. Everything we buy is going to cost more in the next 18 months due to the increase in cost in hassle in moving stuff around the globe, add in to that the hopefully short term covid issues.

BTW an XC70 has the same auto gearbox and AWD system as your Freelander. XC70 prices are at a premium currently and are likely to stay there as the V90 CC hasn’t been nearly as popular and there just isn’t the supply of 2-3 year old cars.

You are likely to find the XC70 improvement to the Freelander in nearly all areas except off road which you don’t need. I doubt you will be disappointed. SE LUX spec with D5 engine the way to go - xenon headlights and tft dashboard very desirable.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 1st, 2021 at 11:27.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:28   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post

Would agree that second hand prices have have crept up due to lack of new vehicles appearing when that will get resolved who knows?

I only ended up with 4WD with the LR as there is no option. If conditions are that bad to require 4WD I will stay indoors with a bottle of something.
Actually that looks bloody lovely......
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:34   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Definitely do not need 4WD, never ever needed it on the Land Rover though again never got the choice was permanent 4WD. Yes the D2,D3 etc is designed to confuse a buyer. As nothing spectacular is needed I read the D3 is actually quite a decent unit with £30 tax and good mileage. Comparing engines on Autotrader there seems no logic with a D5 being lower insurance and £30 tax as opposed to a D4 at £130. Looking around 5years oldish budget can go to £20K
The buyer is confused because D3 4 5 etc is not an engine designation it is a Power range from 2010 and later :-) which is easy to understand
Approx figures from memory .. D= Diesel

D2 up to 120 bhp
D3 120 to 160
D4 160 to 190
D5 200 t0 250

(figures apply to 2010 onwards, Later D4 power range is more powerful than an early D5 engine )
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:38   #16
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post

Ps. I’ve just driven from Kent to Cornwall, in one go, took about 8 1/2 hours, traffic was terrible, readout say 46.2 mpg, and more importantly, I’m not broken. I feel great, no aches stiffness,and it was a pleasure, either blasting up inclines over Bodmin moor or stuck in endless queues around Stonehenge. Best car I’ve ever owned.
Yes, I did similar last week. Arrived well into the 40s mpg, now after about 60 miles of holiday motoring the same trip is at just over 30. Motto, as always is they love a run, and hate just about everything else, especially Cornish lanes!

OP, the 4WD versions are a nicer drive IMHO, with the transfer of drive to the rear neutralising a slight feeling of torque steer when pulling away, for instance.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 12:45   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

That’s a four cylinder.

Looks lovely, but I’d prefer the five cylinder engine.

Your choice though.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 12:46   #18
bogart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
A very late V70 D4 SE Lux Geartronic from 2016 would be a good option.

It has the later 8-speed automatic gearbox, and is as fast as most people will need.

It can do 137 mph and it is quiet and refined.

The D5 is only marginally faster, but it is a bit noisier and more expensive to tax and insure. For the D4, road tax is only £30.

Also you won't find a 2016 D5.

A 2016 D3 will be slower and possibly slightly less refined because the engine doesn't have balancer shafts to cancel out the opposing forces that a 4-cylinder engine produces.
Is the 8 speed box the ZF one?
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 12:49   #19
bogart
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Get used to high prices on late model cars, the main long term reason is the increase in cost of new cars due to needing to fund electric and hybrid versions. Everything we buy is going to cost more in the next 18 months due to the increase in cost in hassle in moving stuff around the globe, add in to that the hopefully short term covid issues.

BTW an XC70 has the same auto gearbox and AWD system as your Freelander. XC70 prices are at a premium currently and are likely to stay there as the V90 CC hasn’t been nearly as popular and there just isn’t the supply of 2-3 year old cars.

You are likely to find the XC70 improvement to the Freelander in nearly all areas except off road which you don’t need. I doubt you will be disappointed. SE LUX spec with D5 engine the way to go - xenon headlights and tft dashboard very desirable.
Lots of people slag off LR but I must say in the 6 years I have had the Freelander the Gearbox and the 4WD have been faultless. More maintenance re Haldex etc but that is how it is.
I have been looking at specs as seems SE LUX is the way to go . Am still confused sometimes seeing SE LUX NAV as if the SE LUX does not have satnav.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 12:54   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Is the 8 speed box the ZF one?
No its the Asin ... a modified version of the 6 speed. it does a great job at keeping the engine at about 1800 rpm at all times until you get up to 80 mph , much like a cvt which helps with economy greatly .