Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2022 XC40 P8 Pure electric. Some comments

Views : 3251

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2021, 13:49   #1
matthdouglas
P8 Pure Electric

Smile New 2022 XC40 P8 Pure electric. Some comments

Just picked mine up yesterday.
Very happy so far, but a couple of points and questions.
It looks like Apple Carplay is not present. Something makes me remember I have read somewhere this is the case due to the Android OS, but Volvo are intending to bring it on at some stage soon. Confirmation would be great, if you know.
Associated with that, is it possible to play media via USB, rather than bluetooth?
I can't seem to make that work, so if you have done so, please let me know.
Also, the oft commented fact that the range is only displayed as a %age, never as miles. Other cars do this, so I don't know why Volvo are so adamant about it. I believe you can get some sort of range if you load a destination in the sat nav, but I have not had a go at that yet (and rarely will).
Lots of config not available, such as changing number of times the indicator blinks with a stalk flick, and you can't even change the fader on the stereo (only treble and bass), but none of it is a show-stopper. Just hard to go back from, from previous vehicles.
It's BIG, fast, quiet (bit of wind noise at speed), solid, jiggly, high, comfortable and basically worth it (if you want an electric SUV).
It will take me some time to see how the real range works out, but it does seem to drop quite quickly, although my driving style has been somewhat 'racey' as I play with it.
I have read in some reviews that the front seats are excellent, but I am quite disappointed with them. Little lumbar support and can't reduce the lumbar support enough. I also have an elec Mini, and its seats are far better.
I choose the basic spec, so will miss adaptive Cruise and the Harmon K sound, but still happy with what is included. Strange to not have heated front seats though, but at least I can pre-heat in the winter.
VoC app has just started working now, although it seems temperamental in showing charge level and status.
One unexpected but useful feature is the comfort locking on all four doors.
I took the subscription offer, which does work out well financially, if you do it for a set period.
Will post more as I discover it, likely to all be good!
Its BIG (did I mention that), and FAST!
matthdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matthdouglas For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 16:07   #2
Matt90

Hey

Welcome to electric ownership. I have been running one for the last few months and absolutely love it (see below).

To your points:
- Carplay is not present at the moment but I am hoping it is part of the next OTA update and it will be wireless carplay.
- Not tried playing music through a USB yet as mainly use the built in spotify app which works really well.
- The range displayed as a % is my biggest annoyance with the car. Even when you input a route into google it will only display your "end" battery as a percentage. I am hoping this is changed with further updates down the line.
- My VOC app isnt working at all for the XC40 but does with my XC90.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation 2021-06-28 150745.jpg (218.2 KB, 30 views)
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 10:26   #3
matthdouglas
P8 Pure Electric

Default VoC all not really working - Air conditioning issue

Some further experience with the P8.

The Volvo on Call (VoC) app, and possibly the software in the car, is not really fit for purpose yet, and they should really get on and fix it.

The ability to see charge levels is very patchy, with most of the time it showing no charge %age (not Zero, just no data).
The app also does not update, so it shows as charging when it is not plugged in.
Obviously I have updated everything I can, and it is still the case.

What is worse, is that I cannot often Pre-condition the cabin, and the app stays it 'cannot start' climate control.

This was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but now it either cannot start, or if it does, the air-conditioning does not work (just the fan and the car shows it is pre-conditioning). The air con then does not work at all, even when driving, unless I put it on full heat! And then it heats and cools....

No air con in this heat is rubbish.

If I leave the pre-conditioning alone, and don't even try to use it, the air-con will work as normal.

There is some sort of software glitch somewhere, likely in the car.

I can lock and unlock the car via the app, so there is a connection.

Also when I have two phones loaded, it does not seem to connect to either of them automatically. I need to connect a phone each time. Thus just have one loaded and it connects automatically - most of the time.....

Other than that, and I can't seem to play music over USB, i'm still very happy with the car.

I await with great expectation, the next OTA update to provide Apple Carplay and hopefully resolve various issues......
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 23:46   #4
Zedbox

P8 picked up 3 days ago.
I have all the same issues.
I hope they fix these problems.
I also think the system is basic.
Needs more features .
Here is hoping.
But love car.
Zedbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 10:01   #5
js90
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthdouglas View Post
This was working fine a couple of weeks ago, but now it either cannot start, or if it does, the air-conditioning does not work (just the fan and the car shows it is pre-conditioning). The air con then does not work at all, even when driving, unless I put it on full heat! And then it heats and cools....
My S60 has a different brain in it than these new XC40s but I've had this problem with the A/C. I just turned off the ignition at some traffic lights, started it up again and all was working properly again.

--Previous MY08 S40 2.0D Manual Barents Blue / MY16 XC60 D5 Manual Osmium Grey
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 12:36   #6
matthdouglas
P8 Pure Electric

Default XC40 P8 A/C issue

And just to make further comments on the strange air conditioning issue....

The a/c works fine, when it works, so it is not a hardware issue. It appears to work in all regards is the outside temp is less than about 20C. This is obviously at odds with what I need! if the car is in the garage, and cool, and I then drive around in the heat, the a/c works from startup. If the temp around the car is over about 20c when started, the A/C just won't go on cool. You almost would think the external temp sensor is backwards, or suchlike.

Apart from that, the August/September OTA update is in, but still no Apple Carplay (I suspect it will never come), and I now wish for a WiFi hotspot like the non Android XC40 have.
At least the iphone app is now much more reliable in all regards.

...and the best bit. Not having to worry about queuing for petrol!!!!!
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 23:42   #7
Zedbox

The Volvo app now works.
Had a rear cam installed.
All updates done.
Ac works now.
Really happy with car now.
Had a ceramic coat and changed Volvo to black writing.
Zedbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 22:56   #8
XC60 Jockey

Default Volvo App

I picked my car up 5 days ago. App not working at all. If anyone has any tips on how to get it working that would be appreciated.
XC60 Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 12:35   #9
Oop north

Having a test drive in the morning. A bit concerned to see that the xc40 EV per Volvo’s website is now front wheel drive and less powerful (but cheaper) with no improvement in range. Seems a backward step to me - anyone know if the 4wd has been dropped? Might have to get c40 instead which would have less boot space (to the roof of the car if not to parcel shelf)
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2021, 18:37   #10
matthdouglas
P8 Pure Electric

Default Dual motor XC40 P8

Indeed, I have also noticed the reduction of a motor, and price. I have the dual motor and just love the performance, but perhaps the FWD will be okay.
The new Range Analyser app from the most recent OTA update is really useful, and should have always been there. It shows I have 260miles @100%, which will be great if it is true.
Just awaiting the Apple Carplay now.....