Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 inside london's ULEZ

Views : 15872

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 11:30   #61
kiloran

It's really effective in my experience of accidentally dipping one road into the CC zone years back. It was near Vauxhall station, I was deliberately trying to avoid it, mis-timed my entry into a yellow box (which was also camera monitored) and so I turned left to avoid a fine from that. Did a u-turn thinking I'd get away with it, no chance.
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 12:07   #62
bob12
bob12

Living outside London when I go anywhere in London these days I use my senior's free bus pass (always after 9.30am!) and then train (1/3rd off discount card) with a travelcard or my oyster card depending where I am going. It's far cheaper and dead easy to get around on all forms of transport. Gone are the days of belting up motorways and dodging about inner London roads. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 09:27   #63
derek vivian

Default Ulez

Well it has now come to pass! I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive within the North & South circular roads unless they really have to. Then they will accept to pay the charge. Doesn't this defeat the object?
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 10:10   #64
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
Well it has now come to pass! I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive within the North & South circular roads unless they really have to. Then they will accept to pay the charge. Doesn't this defeat the object?
Probably but meanwhile Sadist Khan is now getting £1.25m per day from the already suffering motorists!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 12:11   #65
derek vivian

Default Ulez

Dave, Did you mean £12.50? Or has someone calculated that around 96,000 drivers will be paying £12.50 to TFL each day? I get confused easily I see.

Last edited by derek vivian; Oct 26th, 2021 at 12:37. Reason: recalculatios
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 13:21   #66
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Dave, Did you mean £12.50? Or has someone calculated that around 96,000 drivers will be paying £12.50 to TFL each day? I get confused easily I see.
No Derek, i definitely meant £1.25m a day! Saw a report on the news that 110,000 drivers a day will be paying the ULEZ, i rounded that down to 100,000 drivers on the grounds some will be selling their cars and/or using alternative travel and it was an easier figure to do the maths from and 100,000 x £12.50 is £1.25m - daily!

Let's assume that saturdays are busier with "out of town" shoppers, people visiting relatives/friends etc but sundays are quieter with people staying home, those two days probably average out at a similar number per day as the rest of the week so that works out at £8.75m/week extra revenuw from the ULEZ. That's £35m every 4 weeks or £420m for a year - i am aware the year is 52 weeks which is 13 lots of 4 weeks, i have deliberately ignored that to allow for people taking time off from work, holidays, sickness etc, car breakdowns, seasonal variations and other factors. If i were to assume consistent figures of 100k motorists per day for the whole year that would be £455m for the year. Nice work if you can get it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 12:12   #67
derek vivian

Default Ulez

I am sticking with my V90 as it is and if I really have to enter ULEZ I will pay the charge and forget it! I don't think ULEZ charges will cause a reduction in pollution which the TFL expect, but that's their problem!!
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 12:22   #68
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I am sticking with my V90 as it is and if I really have to enter ULEZ I will pay the charge and forget it! I don't think ULEZ charges will cause a reduction in pollution which the TFL expect, but that's their problem!!
I think you're spot on that it won't alter the pollution levels Derek. As we've discussed elsewhere in this thread, anyone who voluntarily uses the North or South Circ when there's a viable alternative needs their bumps feeling!

That means anybody who is using it is doing so because it's the only option making it to all intents and purposes an entry tax.
Either way, Sadist Khan and TfL are getting £1.25m/day for nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 13:37   #69
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
No Derek, i definitely meant £1.25m a day! Saw a report on the news that 110,000 drivers a day will be paying the ULEZ, i rounded that down to 100,000 drivers on the grounds some will be selling their cars and/or using alternative travel and it was an easier figure to do the maths from and 100,000 x £12.50 is £1.25m - daily!

Let's assume that saturdays are busier with "out of town" shoppers, people visiting relatives/friends etc but sundays are quieter with people staying home, those two days probably average out at a similar number per day as the rest of the week so that works out at £8.75m/week extra revenuw from the ULEZ. That's £35m every 4 weeks or £420m for a year - i am aware the year is 52 weeks which is 13 lots of 4 weeks, i have deliberately ignored that to allow for people taking time off from work, holidays, sickness etc, car breakdowns, seasonal variations and other factors. If i were to assume consistent figures of 100k motorists per day for the whole year that would be £455m for the year. Nice work if you can get it!
I would think most people going into London on Saturday for shopping etc will be using public transport Dave. When I lived just outside 30 odd years ago I didnt know anybody that drove into London at the weekend

You can say what you like about London but it does have a very good underground system
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 17:59   #70
Badger vs Bodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I would think most people going into London on Saturday for shopping etc will be using public transport Dave. When I lived just outside 30 odd years ago I didnt know anybody that drove into London at the weekend

You can say what you like about London but it does have a very good underground system

Many years ago I once drove straight across London, on the way back to Bristol from Dagenham. The only reason that happened was a serious brainfart in the MateNav(TM) system