Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 inside london's ULEZ

Views : 15806

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 18:18   #11
TonyS9
Premier Member

Its a simple case of too much pollution above damaging levels, the gov't is being fined on a yearly basis (at their agreement). Then we have the coroners report for a child that died in 2012, setting a precident. The next step is to work out who to claim against for pollution related deaths (estimated 36,000/year in the UK).

The gov't doesn't like holding back commerce, so you can blame these namby pamby people with pre-existing conditions who expect the atmostphere to be breathable.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/e...ons-standards/

The V90 will be EU 2 or 3, with combined limits for NOx and UBHC, it just won't have been tested for the seperate tighter limits. It would prohibitively costly to get that done, its not a stick-an-exhaust-probe-and-check-the-idle test.

The only conversion which will be approved easily is a BEV conversion, but I don't know if they are allowing it specifically. They should but its a big investment, probably cheaper to buy a new BEV. Hopefully we wil have a cheap conversion kit in the future.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 19:46   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
Hi Dave, I'm convinced the government has a couple of people sat in a dark/blacked out room somewhere thinking what they can do next to hit the motorist and get cars off the road, one day someone may switch the light on for them and they may then realise just how much we contribute to the coffers, the classic car industry alone contributes millions let alone everyone else, road tax, tax on fuel etc,
You're right David, the classic car industry does contribute a lot to the coffers, last i saw was £9bn a year i think it was in March 2021 issue of Practical Classics.

I really wonder if the govt can afford to alienate us just for the sake of preventing diseasels entering the capital and other major towns and cities?

Just ban diseasels, after all, almost all classics are petrol. It seems you can't always believe the hype about modern diesel emissions either :

https://www.am-online.com/news/marke...-defeat-device

That's VAG, Mercedes, Vauxhall and Fiat-Chrylser all cited in that report - by extension that includes Renault, Nissan, plus the subsidiaries of Fiat, VAG and so on. About the only ones who haven't yet been caught are Ford, Volvo and most Japanese. That said most of the Japanese have moved out of the diesel market so maybe they won't be caught but if that many have been caught, can any of them be believed? I seriously doubt it!

As for that team in a govt bunker thinking up ways to fleece the motorist, if only we could find them.........................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 21:03   #13
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As for that team in a govt bunker thinking up ways to fleece the motorist, if only we could find them.........................
You called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns1234567 View Post
Thanks Jor

Just wondered if there were an acceptable mod which would reduce the figures - interestingly my recent MOT Emissions test had HC at 81ppm with the Euro 4 requirement for total HC at 100ppm - so I'm under (I think)
I know there's CO and NOx figures as well but I suppose there might not be a way to change TFL's use of the V5.....
Thanks again
Sorry, that won't work. The euro emissions limits are tested over a drive cycle simulating a range of engine/vehicle speeds and loads (was called NEDC at euro 4). Completely different kettle of fish to the emissions idle test
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 21:18   #14
Cull06
Master Member

They’re changing it again later this year. I had an email from TFL telling me my hybrid would no longer qualify for free low emission zone driving from I think it’s September. Electric-only cars from then (for the time being...)
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 00:07   #15
ns1234567

Thanks Dave and David

I've written to Tfl for clarification and also to Volvo for emission figures for the car - it's a long shot !

Best wishes

nick
ns1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ns1234567 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 12:33   #16
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Its a simple case of too much pollution above damaging levels, the gov't is being fined on a yearly basis (at their agreement). Then we have the coroners report for a child that died in 2012, setting a precident. The next step is to work out who to claim against for pollution related deaths (estimated 36,000/year in the UK).

The gov't doesn't like holding back commerce, so you can blame these namby pamby people with pre-existing conditions who expect the atmostphere to be breathable.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/e...ons-standards/

The V90 will be EU 2 or 3, with combined limits for NOx and UBHC, it just won't have been tested for the seperate tighter limits. It would prohibitively costly to get that done, its not a stick-an-exhaust-probe-and-check-the-idle test.

The only conversion which will be approved easily is a BEV conversion, but I don't know if they are allowing it specifically. They should but its a big investment, probably cheaper to buy a new BEV. Hopefully we wil have a cheap conversion kit in the future.
Don't consider myself as one of the namby-pamby people, although I am a COPD sufferer, nor do I expect the atmostphere to be perfect, but why cars on LPG are not excempt from ULEZ I just can't understand, after all the emissions are practically Zero.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 17:00   #17
ns1234567

hello again

Just had my certificate of conformity back....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R196EFL - CoC.pdf (79.1 KB, 32 views)
ns1234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ns1234567 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 15:34   #18
derek vivian

Default Ulez

I am very confused by all this ULEZ lark! My V90 (1997) has 'co' outputs well below the required level according to my MOT certs, but it is still not compliant for travel in ULEZ. Surely it would be more efficient for TFL to get the Government to increase speeding fines to at least £1,000 to slow traffic down! Speeds are well above the limits in my area yet no one tries to prevent it. In my opinion the faster a vehicle goes the more exhaust comes out with or without carbon! I still can't discover if catalytic converters have been improved since the 90s. Now there is a challenge! Engineers could even design one to fit on gas boiler exhausts or is that too radical?
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 15:51   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek vivian View Post
I am very confused by all this ULEZ lark! My V90 (1997) has 'co' outputs well below the required level according to my MOT certs, but it is still not compliant for travel in ULEZ. Surely it would be more efficient for TFL to get the Government to increase speeding fines to at least £1,000 to slow traffic down! Speeds are well above the limits in my area yet no one tries to prevent it. In my opinion the faster a vehicle goes the more exhaust comes out with or without carbon! I still can't discover if catalytic converters have been improved since the 90s. Now there is a challenge! Engineers could even design one to fit on gas boiler exhausts or is that too radical?
Half the trouble with traffic in London is it doesn't travel fast enough Derek! Because it spends so much time crawling, the engine is not in it's efficient "power band" and the clowns that have set the limits for the ULEZ have used test data (which we all know is flawed, VAGs "Dieselgate" is just one example) but the real problem is traffic needs to be kept moving.

Cats have improved since the 90s, it's not really practical to fit cats to gas boiler exhausts/flues for various reasons, not least of which is they tend to burn very cleanly anyway. Likewise for oil-fired heating boilers.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 16:21   #20
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Half the trouble with traffic in London is it doesn't travel fast enough Derek! Because it spends so much time crawling, the engine is not in it's efficient "power band" and the clowns that have set the limits for the ULEZ have used test data (which we all know is flawed, VAGs "Dieselgate" is just one example) but the real problem is traffic needs to be kept moving.

Cats have improved since the 90s, it's not really practical to fit cats to gas boiler exhausts/flues for various reasons, not least of which is they tend to burn very cleanly anyway. Likewise for oil-fired heating boilers.
The main problem is sheer volume though Dave. The only way to get the traffic to move faster in London is to drastically cut the amount of traffic !

Having lived and worked in London for the first 23 years of my life ( some of which included driving in city centre for a couple of years ) I now find it hard to comprehend that the population of London is ( I think ) double the entire population of Scotland !!
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: