Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 GLT spoiler fitting

Views : 3696

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2021, 19:35   #1
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Default 360 GLT spoiler fitting

Hi,

I'm wishing to retrofit the optional large GLT rear spoiler to my '88 360 GLE hatch. It appears to be secured to left and right sides of the tailgate with two bolts each side, plus one bolt in the centre, in line with the 3rd rear brake light/boot lock (therefore five in total). Inside the tailgate I can see two little 'cut outs' each side which will be where the holes have to go, however this appears as four 'caps' which seem to be welded on, and with no such one in the centre.

I've looked at pics of cars with the rear spoiler so fitted, but obviously as this involves drilling through metalwork, I cannot afford to mess it up. Could anyone advise as to the best way to go forward with this, measurements between bolt holes for drilling etc?

Thanks
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 14:23   #2
tofufi
Premier Member

I've got the holes in my bootlid - which I'm about to weld up. I'll try to take photos for you over the next day or two - drop me a PM to remind me if I forget

P.S. If it's Scarab (petrol) blue then I'd happily swap boot lids
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 17:16   #3
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
I've got the holes in my bootlid - which I'm about to weld up. I'll try to take photos for you over the next day or two - drop me a PM to remind me if I forget

P.S. If it's Scarab (petrol) blue then I'd happily swap boot lids
Much appreciated matey, I'll drop you a PM in a few days!

It's smoke silver I'm afraid! The tailgate is actually rusty at the bottom and a previous owner has primer sprayed over the rust, therefore it's probably no big loss if I make a mistake, but I'm keen to get it right!

Just another thought which may be of use - if you could measure the distances between the centre of the holes to the side of the car etc, it may help too
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 16:08   #4
tofufi
Premier Member

So here we are, apologies for the delay

All measurements taken on the LHS of the car, but should be symmetrical.

From rear of boot lid edge shown - holes approx 22-25mm and 140mm from rear edge of bootlid

Distance to side of bootlid, rear (of car) hole, 45mm:

Front (of car) hole, 55mm:

Centre hole is central side to side, and 30mm from rear edge:

Hope that helps I can't guarantee the mounting holes on my car are original so may be worth double checking against your spoiler that they make sense!
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 16:41   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Martin View Post
Hi,

I'm wishing to retrofit the optional large GLT rear spoiler to my '88 360 GLE hatch. It appears to be secured to left and right sides of the tailgate with two bolts each side, plus one bolt in the centre, in line with the 3rd rear brake light/boot lock (therefore five in total). Inside the tailgate I can see two little 'cut outs' each side which will be where the holes have to go, however this appears as four 'caps' which seem to be welded on, and with no such one in the centre.

I've looked at pics of cars with the rear spoiler so fitted, but obviously as this involves drilling through metalwork, I cannot afford to mess it up. Could anyone advise as to the best way to go forward with this, measurements between bolt holes for drilling etc?

Thanks
yes you twist off those pressings on the inside of the tailgate they snap off easily . you have to judge the centre where to drill the hole ! there was a solid drill guide tool which fitted in there . unlikely to find one now though.
Just put a dab of paint on the end of each stud and with someone's help drop it onto the top in the correct position first go to mark the holes!
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 19:46   #6
shimon340

Interesting post

I've never seen a 300 boot lid with those caps / covers in place. Only ever seen them as "solid" or with the spoiler already in place.

Tofufi, has your car had a boot lid like that since new? Or someone took the spoiler off and used those caps in the holes?

After a certain date all 360s came like this with the caps on the boot for the optional spoiler?

Thanks, would be interesting to hear from you guys

S
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 23:33   #7
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimon340 View Post
Interesting post

I've never seen a 300 boot lid with those caps / covers in place. Only ever seen them as "solid" or with the spoiler already in place.

Tofufi, has your car had a boot lid like that since new? Or someone took the spoiler off and used those caps in the holes?

After a certain date all 360s came like this with the caps on the boot for the optional spoiler?

Thanks, would be interesting to hear from you guys

S
I think that car has been fitted with a spoiler which has been removed, if you look where the rubber grommets are you will see some marks which are reflective of a spoiler being fitted. Things like spoilers were often dealer-offered options and fitted by them, just like I am planning to do with my 360.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 23:00   #8
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
I think that car has been fitted with a spoiler which has been removed, if you look where the rubber grommets are you will see some marks which are reflective of a spoiler being fitted. Things like spoilers were often dealer-offered options and fitted by them, just like I am planning to do with my 360.
This ^^
I removed the spoiler and glt alloys from my car to keep the 200bhp 2.3 turbo nice and subtle
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 23:36   #9
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
This ^^
I removed the spoiler and glt alloys from my car to keep the 200bhp 2.3 turbo nice and subtle
200hp you say....

....I need to know more!!

I haven't fitted my rear spoiler yet...I know it'll look fab when on, but something just doesn't feel quite 'right' about drilling into a car's metalwork. Hopefully it'll be fitted before too long.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 10:14   #10
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
200hp you say....

....I need to know more!!

I haven't fitted my rear spoiler yet...I know it'll look fab when on, but something just doesn't feel quite 'right' about drilling into a car's metalwork. Hopefully it'll be fitted before too long.
This is with the GLT alloys and spoiler:

Far too sporty, so this is how it looks now:

It's a base spec 340 with 360 running gear (torque tube and gearbox) and a 740/940 turbo engine running LH2.4. It's been chipped and the boost is turned up. It uses the 360 power steering system which, oddly, makes the steering feel much better than the manual rack.
The exhaust tailpipe out the back and headlight wipers are just for looks - the exhaust is full stainless and has 3 silencers, exiting behind the rear wheel. The intercooler meant the headlamp wiper motors had to be removed.

Underbonnet needs a bit of tidying, I kept the 360 air filter and tried to keep everything as OE as possible.

Last edited by tofufi; Feb 3rd, 2021 at 10:18.