Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GLT saloon restoration project

Views : 38344

Replies : 270

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 05:10   #111
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
It's nice having a non rusty car. Still a few jobs to get this back on the road.

First a clearout. Hired a skip and got rids of lots of junk. Cleaning under the volvo was enjoyable.

I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing a front windscreen. Local companies don't do one, a new one from Skandix is in the region of £600 delivered. Becoming an issue now.
As always - excellent, well done.

Didn't you get a windscreen from SwedishScotsman?

Alan
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:16   #112
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Regarding windscreen replacement:~
These are available through screen replacement companies (Pilkington also make then) I may have mentioned this before but I have a post relating.

Well done on keeping another 240 car on the road- all that welding & finishing takes application & dedication to do it properly.
Could you let us know the suppliers you used for repair panels i.e. sills and other, plus the quality/fit you have experienced.

Good luck with the Amazon (I nearly bought one prior to the 240)
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:46   #113
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
These are available through screen replacement companies (Pilkington also make then) I may have mentioned this before but I have a post relating.

Well done on keeping another 240 car on the road- all that welding & finishing takes application & dedication to do it properly.
Could you let us know the suppliers you used for repair panels i.e. sills and other, plus the quality/fit you have experienced.

Regards Bob.
That's correct about the screen, Pilkington should be able to supply. Maybe not ex-stock but certainly within a sensible time-frame given you have other work to finish on the car.

I think the OP made his repair panels Bob but i might be wrong.

As for Amazons, i found this on YT the other day. Apparently called the Rudezon, it's an Evinrude 2-stroke V8 transplanted into an Amazon to create a drag car :

https://youtu.be/JVfqqSbB3Po

That would terrify the shoppers in the supermarket car parks!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:48   #114
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post

Regards Bob.
Thanks. I will keep ringing around, but there seems to be a sudden drought of screens, at least locally. I also notice they have disappeared from places like eBay, whereas back in March I was able to find one quite easily.

I only bought two repair panels for this car, a passenger rear sill section and a full outer offside sill, both by Klokkerholm. The rest of the sections I made myself as they were very simple bends. Interestingly the full sill was the same price as the small repair section, in retrospect I'd have replaced both full sides.

The fit on the small rear section was 'just OK'. I had to bend the lower section quite a lot to get it to fit the existing profile. Also, it didn't extend up to the door frame area so if that section is rusty, you'd have to fabricate a part to fill it. The final fit and finish resulted in an invisible repair so I'm happy with it.

The full sill is similar. It doesn't have to fit in with any existing panels except the B pillar which makes things easier, however I felt during fitment it was a little short height-wise and the inner sill lower flange extends beyond the replacement outer. It's not a big problem.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:49   #115
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
As always - excellent, well done.

Didn't you get a windscreen from SwedishScotsman?

Alan
He kindly tried to get it removed for me, but unfortunately it cracked. These bonded screens don't want to come out easily..
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 15:01   #116
Juular

Not huge amounts of progress. I'm still trying to find a windscreen.

I rebuilt the rear calipers with new seals and pistons and gave them a coat of paint.

I stripped back the axle and fitted the bushes. Not an enjoyable job thanks to all the underseal, but at least the bushes went in easy enough with a large hammer.

Used a vice as a spreader to stop the ears from bending.

Rust treatment.

The rest of the suspension parts have been given to a garage to press the bushes in, as I couldn't get them in with any of the tools and presses I have here.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 02:03   #117
DW42

What brand of bushings did you use? I couldn't get Superpro panhard rod bushings in. I took them in and they struggled at the indie Volvo garage too, until they disregarded the Superpro instructions about leaving the metal shell in place. With the shell removed they went in okay.

I've been following your thread with interest. Great work!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 10:46   #118
Juular

I'm using standard rubber bushings from PFS.

I do think there's a bit of confusion regarding the metal shells. On the axle bushes, definitely leave the metal shell in place as otherwise there's very little support for the bush.

On the other arms I'm not sure how any bush would go in unless you remove the shells. They become very corroded, and normally with poly bushes in solid voids, you just press them in as they are.

I've not heard back from the garage in ages, I wonder if they are struggling with them..
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 05:39   #119
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW42 View Post
What brand of bushings did you use? I couldn't get Superpro panhard rod bushings in. I took them in and they struggled at the indie Volvo garage too, until they disregarded the Superpro instructions about leaving the metal shell in place. With the shell removed they went in okay.

I've been following your thread with interest. Great work!
I'm not quite sure what the problem is with the Panhard rod bushes. It is possible to fit them yourself without a press:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2633

... although that is a bit fiddly. It is much easier if one has a mate with a press:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2646

... when they take only a few minutes to push out and refit.

I hope that helps... I'm having trouble understanding what is the issue; this isn't difficult work.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 13th, 2021 at 05:43. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 09:04   #120
Juular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm not quite sure what the problem is with the Panhard rod bushes. It is possible to fit them yourself without a press:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2633

... although that is a bit fiddly. It is much easier if one has a mate with a press:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=2646

... when they take only a few minutes to push out and refit.

I hope that helps... I'm having trouble understanding what is the issue; this isn't difficult work.

Alan
This is exactly the first method I tried. I used some good quality M12 bar and fabricated my own bits and pieces from 2mm steel and 40x3mm angle. With a lot of swearing they only got about half way and wouldn't go any further. I ended up stripping the threads off the bar. On my second attempt my breaker bar started to creak like it was going to shear!

I actually went one step further - I don't like to give up. I made my own hydraulic press of sorts by creating a frame for my trolley jack.

This achieved nothing. I actually managed to bend the metal of the frame and my jack was creaking long before any movement happened on the bushes.

I think they're going to need at least a 4 ton press.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post: