Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low Battery Message

Views : 14631

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 14:55   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
Hi, My XC60 '64 plate with 120,000 miles also has occasional low battery messages. The stop/start has not worked for a few months.

I had a service last month and asked Volvo to look at the battery. They confirmed it wasn't holding a good charge, so suggested I change the battery plus auxiliary battery.

The service was costing me enough, so I said I would bring it back the following month. Having called today for a price I was quoted £384 to supply and fit both batteries!

Seems pretty steep. I think I'll try the advice in this thread first - get a charger and leave it on for a few days, then try resetting the BMS as mentioned in this thread. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308958

That is outrageous , the main battery and the Aux battery are completely separate systems In the 12 years since volvo have had stop/start I have never heard of an AUX battery failing ... They are just guessing not diagnosing ..

A More important thing Is that volvo have built into the car a very comprehensive battery data logger which stores just about every data you could imagine including how long each journey is and how long it lasted !

They should have carried out the volvo self contained battery test routine and if it fails it generated a certain string of code numbers which indicate to volvo exactly what is wrong ...
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 15:20   #22
scbamber

Hi Miyo360

It is very clear from many comments in other threads here that Noco Genius 5 or Ctek MXS 5 are miles ahead of the pack in every way. Each costs £65 or thereabouts. I've had the Ctek for 3 years.

The dealer is 'avin a larf. Order either of the above chargers and you'll be up and running by the weekend. You'll also be quids in. Good luck
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 16:14   #23
Miyo360

Thanks everyone for the help. I just bough the CTEK version as luckily Amazon had it on flash sale at £54 (down from £67) at time of writing.

This will be my first time using one of these, and considering my car is parked on the street, my next challenge is getting power to this unit. If I run a looooooong extension lead from the house, will there be room to hide the extension reel and CTEK under the bonnet securely for a few days?

The cable will be crossing the pavement so I'll need a rubber cable protector as well.
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 16:38   #24
Whyman
Premier Member

I have no trouble with and extension lead which only has a single socket. If you run the cable close to the headlight you can fully close the bonnet and set the alarm. To protect the cable passing over the pavement you could use some of the proper cable management stuff or put some old hose pipe over the cable.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 18:33   #25
jasmith44
jasmith44

Can't you take the battery off and charge it indoors ?
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 19:50   #26
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith44 View Post
Can't you take the battery off and charge it indoors ?
Good suggestion, I'll take a look and if it doesn't look too tricky, I'll try that. Just hope the 2 year old doesn't go licking the terminals!

Would the Aux battery also need to be removed and charged? Either connected to the main, or charged separately/independently?
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 09:10   #27
samball

It is better to charge the battery in situ connecting the earth to the car's chassis and live to the battery.
samball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 10:01   #28
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samball View Post
It is better to charge the battery in situ connecting the earth to the car's chassis and live to the battery.
Why? If you're connecting the charger to the battery positive terminal anyway, why wouldn't you connect to the negative one directly too?
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 12:38   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
Why? If you're connecting the charger to the battery positive terminal anyway, why wouldn't you connect to the negative one directly too?
The shunt for the BMS system is built in to the battery -ve lead, if you connect they charger directly to the terminal clamp you will bypass that and the system will not record the charge.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 14:20   #30
krzemien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
(...)Having called today for a price I was quoted £384 to supply and fit both batteries!

Seems pretty steep.[/url]
Are you able to spill the beans and let us know which dealer exactly gave you this piece of advice (and quote)?