Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 D3 Coolant issues, possible head gasket failure?

Views : 1355

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 13:55   #1
finhudson16

Default V50 D3 Coolant issues, possible head gasket failure?

I'm after a bit of advice about a problem I'm having with a V50 D3 I've just bought. I bought it with a suspected coolant leak and I've narrowed it down to coolant escaping through the vent on the cap while it's being driven. I've pressure tested the system and the cap works perfectly, it vents at 20psi as it should.

Even after it's cooled down, the system is still pressurised and bubbles up a bit when you remove the cap; given this I suspect that the problem is something over pressurising the cooling system while it's running, causing the coolant to bubble up in the tank and escape through the cap, which is venting due to the increased pressure.

Has anyone got any experience with failed head gaskets causing this? I've got the D3 5 cyl engine which I believe is a de-stroked D5 engine. Parts are really hard to find for the D3 so I'm hoping it's not anything more serious like a cracked block for example.

Does anyone know if there's any parts compatibility between the D3 and D5 engines?

I'm new to volvos here so any knowledge/common faults with these engines would be really appreciated!
finhudson16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 17:28   #2
finhudson16

Well the plot thickens now and I'm very confused. I borrowed a combustion gas tester from a friend and I could see gas bubbling through it (gas escaping the expansion bottle) when I let off, but the gas doesn't contain CO2 as the tester stayed negative for the whole time so I don't think it's a head gasket or cracked head/block. The tester definitely works fine, I exhaled through it and it indicated CO2 immediately.

It looked like it was drawing air in when I increased the throttle and air comes out when letting off - is this normal?

Still not fully convinced it's not a head gasket/cracked head or block because a crack could only open up at high load, does that seem reasonable? I did rev it pretty high and for quite a while though and no combustion gas indicated.

Would it be possible for a faulty water pump to draw gas into the cooling system? I'm stumped as to what it could be if not combustion.

Does anyone know anything else on these engines that can introduce gas into the cooling system?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to finhudson16 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 16:55   #3
finhudson16

Just giving an update in case anyone was curious or has the same problem - it was a very slightly warped head causing the head gasket to leak at high loads. A head skim and a new head gasket and bolts and it's all sorted! I believe that a tiny spot on the head gasket failed, creating a big air bubble and a hot spot on the bottom of the head, warping it and causing more leaks. Either way, it's fixed now and I love how it drives!
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 19:15   #4
Leeg27

Default Hi same issue on a d5

How much did it cost you to get it sorted if you don’t mind me asking ?
Leeg27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, d3 engine, head gasket