Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024601

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 11:38   #2691
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Might be worth inspecting the other wheel bearing too Alan, very often if one is beginning to go purely on mileage the other won't be far behind. Chances are you'd be able to buy two together for a better price than two individually and while the front end is in the air for one, swap the other as well. Might need a hydraulic press for it though.
Hi Dave,
Do I remember correctly that you had a link to an illustrated parts list for the 240 series? Volvo seems to have changed the wheel bearings it fitted at about the time the RB was built, so I want to make sure I order the right one.
Alan
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 13:14   #2692
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hi Dave,
Do I remember correctly that you had a link to an illustrated parts list for the 240 series? Volvo seems to have changed the wheel bearings it fitted at about the time the RB was built, so I want to make sure I order the right one.
Alan
I don't think it was me Alan but i did find this - happy hunting!

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...%20catalog.pdf

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 13:44   #2693
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I don't think it was me Alan but i did find this - happy hunting!

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...%20catalog.pdf
Sorry Dave, it must have been someone else.

Thank you very much for the link, I'll see if I can track down the right part number and have one (or two) ready on the shelf.

Alan
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 14:14   #2694
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

No worries Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 12:12   #2695
Othen
Premier Member

Default Happiness is: a hydraulic press

Quote:
Might be worth inspecting the other wheel bearing too Alan, very often if one is beginning to go purely on mileage the other won't be far behind. Chances are you'd be able to buy two together for a better price than two individually and while the front end is in the air for one, swap the other as well. Might need a hydraulic press for it though.
I've been meaning to get round to changing that nearside front wheel bearing for a while, the bearing kit arrived a week or so ago (very neat: both bearings and races plus a rubber dust seal and a little tube of grease all delivered to my house for about £15).

I had a look at the job (on a YouTube) last week and decided a hydraulic bearing press would make life so much easier. I've been tapping in bearings with a large socket and a hammer for the past 40 years - sometimes they go in straight and easy, sometimes they don't - and I'd been really impressed with Luke's machine. I did some research and came up with this:

... it arrived in the mail yesterday, delivered to my house for a little under £90. I consider that a bargain after spending most of a day changing just one bush in a Parhard rod recently.

I'm quite looking forward to changing that bearing next week.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 7th, 2021 at 12:14. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 13:06   #2696
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I've been meaning to get round to changing that nearside front wheel bearing for a while, the bearing kit arrived a week or so ago (very neat: both bearings and races plus a rubber dust seal and a little tube of grease all delivered to my house for about £15).

I had a look at the job (on a YouTube) last week and decided a hydraulic bearing press would make life so much easier. I've been tapping in bearings with a large socket and a hammer for the past 40 years - sometimes they go in straight and easy, sometimes they don't - and I'd been really impressed with Luke's machine. I did some research and came up with this:

... it arrived in the mail yesterday, delivered to my house for a little under £90. I consider that a bargain after spending most of a day changing just one bush in a Parhard rod recently.

That should make life a lot easier Alan! When you say it arrived in the mail, was it a self-assembly thing or was it ready-built?

Looking forward to the full report when you do the job next week!

Old Nov 7th, 2021, 13:08   #2697
Snow White

Smile Useful Press

Quote:

A useful and time saving addition to the workshop Alan, I’m sure it will
have additional uses too.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 14:00   #2698
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That should make life a lot easier Alan! When you say it arrived in the mail, was it a self-assembly thing or was it ready-built?

Looking forward to the full report when you do the job next week!
It came flat packed so there was a little bit of assembly required: bolt on the feet (4 bolts) and the moveable beam at the bottom (2 bolts), fit the two springs and the bottle jack - it took no more than 10 minutes including unpacking.

I may get time to change the bearing tomorrow, if not the end of the week. I'll post the usual report with some photos, it looks like an easy job (well, it should be with a press!).

Alan
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 14:01   #2699
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
A useful and time saving addition to the workshop Alan, I’m sure it will
have additional uses too.
... I was thinking of adapting it as a cider press for when the tree in the garden is full of apples next autumn!

Old Nov 7th, 2021, 15:07   #2700
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... I was thinking of adapting it as a cider press for when the tree in the garden is full of apples next autumn!

Wouldn't the hydraulics relaxing over time cause a problem with that idea Alan? Of course you could probably build a humungous cider press with a nice big ACME threaded lead-screw and tighten it daily to extract all the juice..... Hic!!