Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Polestar friendly insurance companies?

Views : 5584

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2016, 19:44   #1
taz777
VOC Member

Default Any Polestar friendly insurance companies?

I'm considering a Polestar Performance Optimisation upgrade for my car. My current insurance policy runs out in early February 2017, so about 3.5 months left. My current insurer wants about £22 if I were to get the upgrade as the premium increase from now until early Febraury.

The power increase is 181hp to 200hp.

Adjusted to an annual premium hike, the premium hike works out to about £75.

I was wondering if anyone has had the Polestar upgrade and whether their insurance company was happy to keep the premiums the same as before the upgrade?
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 20:00   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Nope, Volvo's own insurance load the premium by 10% for polestar. Had it 2 year and failed to find any insurance company that does not load the premium by at least 10%.
In my case 10% equates to £35 for the year.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 22:12   #3
I-S
Premier Member

I don't know about by how much, but I've had a couple of years of decent rates with Aviva - Polestar (225bhp) and named driver on provisional license.

The trick with Aviva is to get them to match/beat whatever other quote you've had, but before you purchase the quote do their "aviva drive" app, which monitors your driving for 200 miles. Once you have got a top bracket score on that they will reduce your insurance premium (minus any extras eg legal cover) by 20%, no questions asked (if it's over £400 - there's brackets)
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 22:28   #4
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 22:30   #5
taz777
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX View Post
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.
Hi Dan,

My insurance renewal is in early February 2017. Is it still worth calling now to get a general idea of what the insurance would be?

If so, I'll PM you my details.

My current insurer is proving to be too expensive so I will definitely be looking around once renewal time approaches.
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 12:31   #6
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz777 View Post
Hi Dan,

My insurance renewal is in early February 2017. Is it still worth calling now to get a general idea of what the insurance would be?

If so, I'll PM you my details.

My current insurer is proving to be too expensive so I will definitely be looking around once renewal time approaches.
Hi,

If you wanted to PM me I'd be happy to arrange a quotation for you. We can quote up to 30 days in advance, so just be aware that any quote you do receive may not be accurate for when you renew in February.

Kind Regards
Dan
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 14:06   #7
bobby2000
VOC Member

I use Admiral and was told that there would be no extra for Polestar since it was a factory fitted option.
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 14:10   #8
taz777
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
I use Admiral and was told that there would be no extra for Polestar since it was a factory fitted option.
The issue is that I'm having it installed by a dealer (possibly) so it will be classed as a modification.
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 14:17   #9
bobby2000
VOC Member

Not sure when mine was installed since the car was 9 months old when I bought it with polestar already added. @ 230bhp.
Surely with your insurance the £22 is just an administrative cost, most if not all make a charge for any changes to your policy.

Last edited by bobby2000; Oct 25th, 2016 at 14:21.
bobby2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 11:32   #10
taz777
VOC Member

The £22 hike for 3.5 months until renewal is just the insurance premium increase, they also charge £26 on top of that for ANY changes made to a policy.

That fee has cost me dearly this year as I had a multi-car policy with them and I eventually sold one car and part-exchanged the other for the Volvo. Every single change cost me £26 - even getting the 'cars in the household' down from two to one, even though their own computer systems should have known.