Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A good cabin Compass for the XC60?

Views : 1275

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 22:44   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default A good cabin Compass for the XC60?

Will be leaving the old XC90 for a new XC60 quite soon.

One thing I will miss is having the in-build Compass as it has often helped me out of trouble when the Satnav route was a bit suspect - at least I was able to see my relative direction of travel.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of compass that looks and fits nicely into the interior of the XC60?

Many thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to LRS For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 17:22   #2
IguanaMAM
On My Second Volvo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Will be leaving the old XC90 for a new XC60 quite soon.

One thing I will miss is having the in-build Compass as it has often helped me out of trouble when the Satnav route was a bit suspect - at least I was able to see my relative direction of travel.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of compass that looks and fits nicely into the interior of the XC60?

Many thanks
If you are getting hold of a 'New' XC60 with the Sensus Navigation system, if you put the nav into 2D mode the compass icon in the top right of the main screen comes to life - Hope that helps.

Next:.....
Now: V90 T4 Momentum (MY19) | Bright Silver | Privacy Glass | OEM Retro Reverse Camera | OEM Dog Guard!
Previous: XC60 T5 AWD Momentum (MY19) | Osmium Grey
IguanaMAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 19:17   #3
DG97

Do the SPA platform cars not come with a compass in the mirror? Not sure if I’ve dreamt it up but I’m sure I saw something that you turn it on with a paper clip underneath the mirror?
DG97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 19:29   #4
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IguanaMAM View Post
If you are getting hold of a 'New' XC60 with the Sensus Navigation system, if you put the nav into 2D mode the compass icon in the top right of the main screen comes to life - Hope that helps.
Many thanks for that info

As far as I’m aware, my XC60 will have the new Google maps system, so hopefully it will also be able to display a compass in addition to the satnav route guide map. Failing this an aftermarket digital compass that can sit near to the rear-view mirror would work ok.

I have found the mirror compass to be a real lifesaver at times, especially if the satnav route guide map decides to try and take you in a bizarre direction. This happened recently when an A road was blocked by the police, and the satnav insisted the route was fine. I had to then take a very off the beaten track single lane diversion using the mirror compass as a guide and ignoring the satnav.

From what I have found out it, it appears that the mirror compass is still fitted into the XC60s made for the USA region. It would be great if you could buy the mirror compass unit from Volvo USA and then install it into a UK XC60. But it’s probably not that easy to do, even if you could.

Cheers
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 22:42   #5
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Most smart phones also have a compass.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 23:39   #6
Wedge0107

Another possible option. I have CarPlay and you can now select to display a permanent compass in the corner of the Apple navigation Map. I think you can do it on Android Auto too.
V90 MY20 D4 Osmium Grey Momentum Plus with Xenium Pack | Winter Pack | Heated Windscreen | BLIS | Tinted Windows | Keyless Entry | 4-Zone Climate | Hands Free Tailgate | Mud Flaps | Tempa Spare | Wireless Apple CarPlay
Wedge0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 23:47   #7
Moomoo
VOC Member

I'd rather have a small binnacle compass. More aesthetically pleasing somehow.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 08:45   #8
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG97 View Post
Do the SPA platform cars not come with a compass in the mirror? Not sure if I’ve dreamt it up but I’m sure I saw something that you turn it on with a paper clip underneath the mirror?
Yes, like You, I also remember reading about that somewhere in the past. It may have been related to being able to turn the mirror compass off and on, should a driver wish to. I also remember reading (maybe on this site) about the removal of the mirror compass and people questioning why Volvo had decided to take a simple and low-cost feature away – maybe just simply cost cutting.

I must admit that It’s going to be very interesting to see how robust the new XC60 is compared to my old MY11 XC90. It’s with mixed emotions that I move from the old XC90 to the new XC60. Just hope that the new XC60 hasn’t been designed too much on a budget, rendering it a fragile and delicate car to own compared to the old robust and strong XC90…

Cheers
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 08:58   #9
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Despite all modern technology .I still carry a GB Atlas . Better with than without . As a passenger with a good map. I am amazing at navigating .I love maps !
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 09:39   #10
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post

Despite all modern technology .I still carry a GB Atlas . Better with than without . As a passenger with a good map. I am amazing at navigating .I love maps !
I agree, maps are super things.
A SATNAV is for the last mile or so, not the entire journey, IMHO!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: