Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine cut out and Lambda sensor

Views : 2349

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2021, 03:31   #11
P505DEF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawler View Post
I forgot to say I changed the fuel filter when I got the car but that is now 80k in the past. It is due a new one.

Is the ICV the idle air control valve? I'll take a look at it.
Yes, they can get bunged up and the pipes can come loose. Just have a check of the electrical connection whilst there. If the valve looks suspect throw it in the bin and get a new one! Shame your not closer I would of said bring it round and a fresh pair of eyes may have got it running right. Try changing that filter too because of its done 80K that will be well past its sell by date. When you have drained it cut the can open with a hack saw, you will be horrified how bad it will be inside. Did you check the two little holes inside the throttle body that go to the brass nipple things were totally unblocked?
P505DEF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P505DEF For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 23:51   #12
jlawler

Hi again
So finally got a new fuel filter and changed it at the weekend.
It seems to start up a bit quicker but I could be imagining it, but it will be better for it anyway.

I haven't had any issues until this evening where it gave two hiccups (didn't actually stop) and the check engine light came on. Luckily I was prepared this time and while it was still running I got the fault codes.

The results were:
2-2-4 (Engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor signal absent or faulty)
1-4-4 (No load signal from fuel injection system, Bad fuel injection relay; faulty wiring from LH to EZK; bad LH module)

The 1-4-4 disappeared after I turned the ignition off and back on again and the only readout I got was the 2-2-4 error.
Would the 1-4-4 record be caused by the 2-2-4 error? It might be a dodgy temperature sensor after the head was reconditioned?

Thanks

Justin
jlawler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlawler For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 01:46   #13
jlawler

Question.
Is the temperature sender the one in position 2 under Cylinder 2 inlet manifold or is it the one in position 4 under Cylinder 4 inlet manifold?

Thanks

Justin
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 09:47   #14
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Question.
Is the temperature sender the one in position 2 under Cylinder 2 inlet manifold or is it the one in position 4 under Cylinder 4 inlet manifold?

Thanks

Justin
It is the more awkward one - i.e. the one hidden under No.3 cylinder. The easily accessible one is for the temperature gauge.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 23:36   #15
jlawler

Thanks for the guidance.
I reseated the plug a couple of times in case it was just bad contact.
Tug tested the wiring with the engine running and it was all Ok.
So I'm thinking bad contact in the sensor so probably a "when" rather than an "if" it dies permanently. I'll get a new one and swap it out.

I assume I have to drain some of the coolant out when I remove it?

Thanks

Justin
Old Nov 3rd, 2021, 00:02   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance.
I reseated the plug a couple of times in case it was just bad contact.
Tug tested the wiring with the engine running and it was all Ok.
So I'm thinking bad contact in the sensor so probably a "when" rather than an "if" it dies permanently. I'll get a new one and swap it out.

I assume I have to drain some of the coolant out when I remove it?

Thanks

Justin
Not really, depends how quickly you can unscrew one and get the other one in and screwed in. Don't use anything like PTFE tape on it as that interferes with the earth connection of the two sensors inside it.

Once loose, if you spin it out with the fingers of one hand and have the other hadn holding the new one then swap the sensors between hands and get the new one screwed in fairly quickly, you should only lose a dribble of coolant. That's what i did with mine when i did it but in fairness, mine is much easier to access :

If you can position yourself in the right place, no reason you can't do similar on the redblock, helpful to lift the bonnet vertically as well, move the catches on the hinges and lift it past its normal stop to vertical so you have more space to lean over.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 18:00   #17
jlawler

Christmas Grinch has been at the car

So I put in a new temperature sensor a couple of weeks ago.

Then last week it glitched again but this time with just the 1-4-4 error on the ignition code (no other).

At a loss now. Another thread suggested the Fuel Pump Relay or the RSC (ignition) relay.
I have methodically swapped those out but no joy it still reoccurs. It has happened a couple of times since this and today in the middle of the M50 (think M25 but with fewer lanes).

The description on the fault says "Bad fuel injection relay; faulty wiring from LH to EZK; bad LH module".
I think I can rule out the Fuel injection relay.
I have a spare EZK off the 1996 car but it is a 0 227 400 219 and the one in the car is a 0227 400 148. Is there any difference?
What is the LH Module?

Any help getting some Christmas cheer?

Thanks

Justin
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 18:30   #18
jlawler

I see in this thread it was the Fuel Relay.
I will check the contacts to the Relay in case they are corroded.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...+Module&page=2

Fairly sure its not the Crankcase Position Sensor as I had that at the start of the year and there is a genuine Volvo one it it and I've barely driven much miles given the pandemic. Also when this failed before there was no 1-4-4 error.

Fault seems to happen when the car is fully warmed up (after 40-60mins of driving) so thinking its some electrical connection getting hot and loosing contact. I've tug tested the CPS and Temperature sensor wires when it running and also wiggled the Fuel pump relay but to no effect.

BTW what's an LH Module?

Last edited by jlawler; Dec 23rd, 2021 at 19:21.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 19:40   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Christmas Grinch has been at the car

So I put in a new temperature sensor a couple of weeks ago.

Then last week it glitched again but this time with just the 1-4-4 error on the ignition code (no other).

At a loss now. Another thread suggested the Fuel Pump Relay or the RSC (ignition) relay.
I have methodically swapped those out but no joy it still reoccurs. It has happened a couple of times since this and today in the middle of the M50 (think M25 but with fewer lanes).

The description on the fault says "Bad fuel injection relay; faulty wiring from LH to EZK; bad LH module".
I think I can rule out the Fuel injection relay.
I have a spare EZK off the 1996 car but it is a 0 227 400 219 and the one in the car is a 0227 400 148. Is there any difference?
What is the LH Module?

Any help getting some Christmas cheer?

Thanks

Justin
When you say "it glitched again" what exactly do you mean?

Try pulling fuses #11 & #13, clean the blades with some emery tape (NOT sandpaper) and check the fusible link between the blades. Refit and see how it goes from there. Obviously if you happen to notice the link is fragile as you clean the blades, renew the fuse(s).

Also check the fuel pump relay is firmly pushed down in its socket in the relay board.

Not sure on the exact differences if any on the EZK ECU, the LH ECU will be the injection ECU in the right kick panel behind the trim and controls the injection (and the fuel pump!) but it sounds like a fuel related problem as in supply of fuel. This can cause a number of codes to come up, seemingly unrelated. Worth noting that one of those fault codes suggests the air flow meter, if you unplug the MAF and try starting it should still start, it just won't rev up.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 20:40   #20
jlawler

The engine just dies. Not spluttering like a fuel issue. Just dead coasting down the road at 60mph engine being turned over by the vehicle. Rev counter drops to zero.
Feels much more like an electrical/ignition issue than fuel in that it is sudden death (though I know the relay also feeds into the injection system).

I double-checked the fuel pump relay seating.

Thanks I'll try the MAF test.

I'm suspicious because of the previous problems that it related to fixing those.
Hence the Temperature sensor could have been damaged during getting the head reconditioned. It took me a while to track down the previous CPS sensor issue so I would have been messing around with the ignition relay, ignition amplifier etc.
Though I did re-heatsink that at the time.

Last edited by jlawler; Dec 23rd, 2021 at 20:49.