Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear axle press studs

Views : 354

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2021, 20:12   #1
TonyS9
Premier Member

Default Rear axle press studs

The rear axle in the 940 is held on with metal hoops that go over the axle and bolt onto the aluminium trailing arms. The hoops have pressed in studs that tend to snap off because they get pretty corroded next to the aluminium.

I'm trying to source these, but the closest I can find is trailer wheel studs but the splines are too large.

Original part
M10x35mm 1.5mm pitch, approx ~11.3mm spline dia, spline length ~4mm.

Trailer wheel studs:
M10x40mm 1.25 pitch, 12mm spline dia, 10mm pline length.

Anyone know where to get them? google not coming up with anything helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211027_190135s.jpg (230.3 KB, 16 views)
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 22:11   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Reckon your best bet Tony is to get a used one of these from Luke :

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...9/8250262.html

Link provided as description only, the 7xx part supercedes the 940 part and appears to be NLA at Volvo, not that you'd want it to be available at nearly 100 bucks!

Alternatively, find an M10 x 35 bolt and weld it in place on the horsehoe bracket.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 12:18   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

New parts would be nice, but the metal is galvanised and in pretty good shape.

I might just try and use a cap head bolt instead. It might be a little loose in the hole, but is the same size head. I'll have the check later for tool access when it stops raining.

Would the spline offer any other sort of mechanical strength? Its all clamped up against thick aluminium anyway.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 12:29   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
New parts would be nice, but the metal is galvanised and in pretty good shape.

I might just try and use a cap head bolt instead. It might be a little loose in the hole, but is the same size head. I'll have the check later for tool access when it stops raining.

Would the spline offer any other sort of mechanical strength? Its all clamped up against thick aluminium anyway.
New parts are NLA so not an option anyway.

A cap bolt would be a good alternative, half the reason i believe they used the spline is for ease of assembly, not only for sitting the horseshoe bracket on in the factory but access can be a bit limited. You may find a button cap head would be better in this instance, slightly larger diameter head (so will more easily cover where the splines were) and lower profile which will help getting an Allen key in.

I doubt the original spline offered any strength advantages, if anything a smaller hole with a normal bolt would have been better - the metal around the spline in the bracket is thin to say the least! This is another reason i suggested welding a bolt in, saves struggling for access from above and also strengthens the bracket/bolt union.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: