Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Limited Radio Signal

Views : 1138

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2021, 15:13   #1
Challo

Default Limited Radio Signal

The previous owner installed an aftermarket CD player in my 740 which is rubbish. For one thing the CD player wont eject the CD thats stuck, and also I can't seem to pick up any radio stations

I can find Radio 1 but that is it, and even then the signal drops out quite easily. Before I pick-up another head unit, anything to check on the aerial side? Do they have known issues or would it be more to do with the headunit?

I am just going to grab a cheap unit from Amazon, but wanted to diagnose the fault before spending more money.

Cheers
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 15:49   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

Some Volvos, and certainly later 940s and 850s, had antenna amplifiers hidden behind the rear cargo area panel. If your 740 has one of these there is a chance it is not getting power.

Is the aerial the original external one mounted on the D-pillar? Is it powered? Automatic - raises and lowers as the radio is powered on/off or manual - has a switch on the dash? Does it fully extend? Is it complete?

What is the wiring like behind the head unit? Is the external aerial actually plugged in to the head unit?

Is it FM or DAB? If DAB the factory aerial is not going to be optimised for the wavelength.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 15:57   #3
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Some Volvos, and certainly later 940s and 850s, had antenna amplifiers hidden behind the rear cargo area panel. If your 740 has one of these there is a chance it is not getting power.

Is the aerial the original external one mounted on the D-pillar? Is it powered? Automatic - raises and lowers as the radio is powered on/off or manual - has a switch on the dash? Does it fully extend? Is it complete?

What is the wiring like behind the head unit? Is the external aerial actually plugged in to the head unit?

Is it FM or DAB? If DAB the factory aerial is not going to be optimised for the wavelength.
The car does have the external one mounted in the D pillar, and has a button on the dash but it doesn't go up and down. I can extend the aerial manually but it does not raise or lower via the button or if the radio is turned on.

I havent attempted to pull the radio out of the dash as yet, so will give it a look at the weekend and see what the damage is like.

It a basic FM CD Radio, no DAB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 20:50   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

All the obvious stuff is covered above Chris but the most likely thing is the pervious owner just threw a used radio in to fill the hole and didn't bother connecting the aerial lead - could also be disconnected in the left hand cubby hole between the wheel arch and D pillar, lift the lid and have a look. Radio 1 is pretty strong round your neck of the woods so you may be picking it up on just the radio with no actual aerial connected.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 18:08   #5
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
The car does have the external one mounted in the D pillar, and has a button on the dash but it doesn't go up and down. I can extend the aerial manually but it does not raise or lower via the button or if the radio is turned on.

I havent attempted to pull the radio out of the dash as yet, so will give it a look at the weekend and see what the damage is like.

It a basic FM CD Radio, no DAB.
If it was an oem aerial you couldn't extend it manually.

745's were fitted with either a static short mast (late) or a fully automatic/motorised electric aerial. You have the override switch (very scarce!!) so I guess that originally your car had an electric aerial (have a look in the n/s cargo space wheel well to check).

If set-up correctly an automatic aerial will go up and down when the radio is switched on or turned off whether that be at the headunit or via the ignition switch. Alternatively, the aerial can be operated using the override switch if you want to lower or raise it when the radio is on or prevent it going up when the radio or ignition is first turned on.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Oct 28th, 2021 at 18:11.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 13:49   #6
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
If it was an oem aerial you couldn't extend it manually.

745's were fitted with either a static short mast (late) or a fully automatic/motorised electric aerial. You have the override switch (very scarce!!) so I guess that originally your car had an electric aerial (have a look in the n/s cargo space wheel well to check).

If set-up correctly an automatic aerial will go up and down when the radio is switched on or turned off whether that be at the headunit or via the ignition switch. Alternatively, the aerial can be operated using the override switch if you want to lower or raise it when the radio is on or prevent it going up when the radio or ignition is first turned on.

Bob
Weathers hit and miss today so will investigate properly tomorrow (servicing mum's Honda Jazz) but im sure this is a photo of the rear left cubby hole in the boot. Also this is a pic from google, but I have the same button on my dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (243.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg aerial.jpg (62.8 KB, 12 views)
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 15:26   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Weathers hit and miss today so will investigate properly tomorrow (servicing mum's Honda Jazz) but im sure this is a photo of the rear left cubby hole in the boot. Also this is a pic from google, but I have the same button on my dash.
Definitely an electric aerial Chris, i don't see the black co-ax cable coming from it though? Is it hidden by something?

What all are you doing on your mums Jazz?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 15:39   #8
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Definitely an electric aerial Chris, i don't see the black co-ax cable coming from it though? Is it hidden by something?

What all are you doing on your mums Jazz?
Its not the best photo's but I will check all the connections tomorrow.

Mum is the classic eldery driver who loves a Honda Jazz. Promised I would give it a service
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 16:50   #9
bob12
bob12

Some photos may assist.

Assuming the photos come out in the correct order!!

1) The motor drive in the n/s cargo well. You can just make out the the black cable drive sheath at the back of the motor before going up the D pillar. Additionally you can see the aerial wire from the connector on the top of the interior part of the aerial fitment looping from the D pillar trim across the back towards the wheel arch.

2) The exterior fitment for a Volvo electric aerial.

3) A complete motor unit (a broken aerial is still in it).

4) Shows a new aerial and its ferrule next to part of the top interior D post fitting. It is highly likely that the ferrule will be seized inside the top fitting after removal of an old aerial. It will have to be drilled out with a 10mm drill bit.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Oct 29th, 2021 at 17:11.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 17:11   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Its not the best photo's but I will check all the connections tomorrow.

Mum is the classic eldery driver who loves a Honda Jazz. Promised I would give it a service
You're not changing the rear pads on it i hope?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: