Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Random loss of power

Views : 1040

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2021, 20:45   #1
IainG
Premier Member

Default Random loss of power

V50 2.0D
I have had a few issues lately.
A couple of weeks ago I lost tutbo boost and found one of the vacuum lines had a split. New bit of pipe and has been working fine since.
Yesterday loss of power again so checked with a vacuum guage and all is well with a vacuum up to the TCV and also to the turbo.
Took it out for a drive last night and all appeared well.
Had wondered about DPF, so I did take it for a run just to make sure, but there were no DPF related fault codes even when the fault was still there.
Set off this morning to drive from Plymouth to the midlands at 0430 !! No boost again, drove for 20 miles, switched off the engine and restarted. All back to normal, full power( I was starting to think of fuel filter but this proved it was OK).

All fine for 2 hours. Stopped at the services and when I restarted loss of power again and cruise control switched itself off as well. Stopped a couple more times and restarted but the lack of power remained although the cruise control was back and working. Carried on and finished the journey. Car will still do 70 but lacks power for overtaking and hills. Seems normal below 2000 rpm, 2k to 3K lack of power and max revs about 3K. Still had 60 mpg for the journey
Once up here I drove into town and all was working again. Parked up and set off again and a loss of power, so very intermittent.
Plugged in and checked for codes this evening and brought up "CEM check fuses"
No other checks I could find.

Will have a look tomorrow but I seems like in intermittent circuit.
I will check all the fuses and also all the connectors on the CEM tomorrow..
However if anyone has any further thoughts, advice or pointers on areas to check I would be very grateful.
Screenshot attached.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3222.jpg (297.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by IainG; Oct 27th, 2021 at 21:04.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 14:01   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

thats relating to the CCM rather than "CEM"
climate module, in red,however does look suspiciously like a loss of communication from/to CEM to CCM ,fuse or connector on the cem ,or at the ccm unit
the air Quality sensor is the one behind the trim panel behind the waterfall, quite common for it to be "just dust" filling the senor housing, odd cases its the sensor itself (IIRC somehwhere on here someone found it is a easy/cheap part you could get from farnell/CPS and replace your self at a tiny cost)

the unrelated CSC's do look like your cars issues, and sadly thats where im Zero help, its a diesel, and i have no experience with those
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 15:18   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
The red is the CCM however I touched on the CEM and the faults relate to that
I have reposted the picture to show"
The red warning for the CCM has been there for a while but has not caused any issues up to now. Wasn't too sure how hard it was to access!! Might have a look once I have fixed the running issues.
This morning 2 trips all fine but the 3rd start the fault is back!!!

I have ordered some Electrical contact cleaner, pick it up tomorrow so will have go tomorrow. Might unplug the CEM bring it in the house for a check then refit and use contact cleaner on all the multiplugs as they go back.
Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3222.JPG (329.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by IainG; Oct 28th, 2021 at 15:49.
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 22:57   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
The red is the CCM however I touched on the CEM and the faults relate to that
I have reposted the picture to show"
The red warning for the CCM has been there for a while but has not caused any issues up to now. Wasn't too sure how hard it was to access!! Might have a look once I have fixed the running issues.
This morning 2 trips all fine but the 3rd start the fault is back!!!

I have ordered some Electrical contact cleaner, pick it up tomorrow so will have go tomorrow. Might unplug the CEM bring it in the house for a check then refit and use contact cleaner on all the multiplugs as they go back.
Iain
you Might (if your lucky) just need to pull the trim panel from behind the waterfall, remove the dust/fluff etc from the sensor , very fine paintbrush works well even the ones from kids paint sets.

do diesel have a fuel pressure sensor ? tho i would expect a Fuel pressure sensor error code if they do and its that, thinking is those symptoms on a petrol, id be looking at the fuel pressure sensor first, then lift/fuel pump/filter and finally the pressure @ the rail
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 00:03   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
you Might (if your lucky) just need to pull the trim panel from behind the waterfall, remove the dust/fluff etc from the sensor , very fine paintbrush works well even the ones from kids paint sets.
I think that sensor is the cabin temperature sensor, the AQ sensor is possibly accessed from the air intake by the windscreen wipers, not sure but will investigate and look sometime

Iain
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 23:48   #6
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Picked up some electrical contact cleaner today.
Removed the CEM, checked then removed all fuses from it.
I then opened the unit to see if there was any damage or any ingress of water.
It looked like new.
I cleaned all the blades on the fuses and checked all the multiplugs pins. Removed and cleaned the contacts on the 2 external relays.
Sprayed the contact cleaner on all the pins and plug contacts.
Reassembled and refitted to the car.
It started. Big relief.
Will clear the codes tomorrow and then see if there is any improvement.
Old Oct 30th, 2021, 09:45   #7
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
just for general info here are some photos of the CEM on my car.

Outside of unit and the PCB with casing removed

Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3236.jpg (247.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3237.jpg (258.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3239.jpg (279.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3240.jpg (274.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by IainG; Oct 30th, 2021 at 09:49.
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 18:59   #8
IainG
Premier Member

Default Sorted, I hope!!

After cleaning the CEM the fault was still present and there for most of the time.
Took some more fault codes and particulate filter started showing.
Set up some graphs and went for a drive. The DPF sensor was reading and following the revs, but appeared very low.
Was thinking of a new sensor but decided to put the car on the ramps and check the hoses. One came off in my hand!!!
There was still a pressure reading, although the hose was broken it was still inside the protective sleeve which allowed a small amount of the pressure to be read.
Bought some new hose and clips and stopped at a local garage, his mechanic was away but he allowed me to use the ramp and fit the new hose, he helped holding the torch and providing the tools. Happy with £15. Saved me crawling on the wet ground with the car on ramps.
All now appears to be working now, so will either do a forced regent tomorrow or take it for a run.
Will have to change the hose later as it is not rated for a high enough temperature.. it will get me home and last a while as well.
I suppose the car can't give a code for a split pipe so it tries to match a code to the symptoms. The DPF pressure was there but reading very low so probably sent me in the direction of power supplies. As the pipe leaked a bit more it started giving a DPF sensor fault.
I suppose as the readings were low it probably hasn't done a regen in a while so will probably get it to do a forced regen tomorrow.
Just need to source some correct pipe in the next couple of months.

Iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3250.jpg (245.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3260.JPG (304.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3259.jpg (247.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by IainG; Nov 1st, 2021 at 19:02.
Old Nov 4th, 2021, 10:14   #9
IainG
Premier Member

Default Fixed

Hi
Run back to Plymouth yesterday.

All fixed, full power, smoother idle and running.

V happy!!

Iain
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 10:24   #10
Jeroen1996

Hello IainG,

I think I might have the same problem with my S40 2.0d, what sort of pressures where you reading? Mine is zero at idle but rise to 5 hPa at a stationary 2k rpm and to 20hPa at stationary 3k rpm. Under full load pressure is ~150hPa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old dp back.jpg (28.0 KB, 7 views)
Jeroen1996 is offline   Reply With Quote